Poll: Do you love your parents?

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I was sitting today and was thinking about how I didn't spend enough time with my niece this month. I was really busy and only saw her three or four times.
Then I thought, my parents (her grandparents) see her two to three times a week.
At first I thought "Well it's because they have no hobbies, and I do."
But then I realized...my niece was their hobby.

It just made me think about love, and what people are willing to give up for it. I love my niece but I could never give up all my joys and hobbies in life for her all the time, yet they do.

It stemmed into a larger thought of "Do I love my parents? And what is the definition of that love?"

Thoughts Escapists? How do you feel about loving (or not loving) your parents?

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
I love my parents. Our family is very close-knit(even to the point of ostracision of certain members who bring mass disgrace upon us), nuclear and extended.

What I believe I feel as "love" is the want and willingness to do anything(Within the bounds of preserving my life) possible to help them. Anyone even remotely hurting my parents will be the recipient of my ire.

I love loving my parents, seeing as they are really the only people I can say that I love without any doubt.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Yes, I love my parents, to the point that I would happily give my life to protect them/save them/whatever.
If they needed an organ, I'd be the first to sign up.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Yep, my parents are awesome, everybody loves them, and im no exception.

I've seen people who hate their parents, and i dont see the logic... Untill they explain some of it... Then i do...

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
I love my parents and they love me. Although we don't always see eye to eye. That and there can be some heated arguments now and then.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Not really, sadly. I don't hate them all the time, sometimes I do, but I can't say I love them.

I dunno, I guess we just drifted apart while I was growing up. I don't really share anything with my parents except for a blood band. That in itself doesn't make me love them. Maybe I just don't work like that, I don't know.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
I hope beyond hopes that people and kids that say they hate their parents would stick by them when needed regardless. It's only the true scum of the earth that deserves that kind of treatment from their own offspring.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
dragon_of_red said:
Yep, my parents are awesome, everybody loves them, and im no exception.

I've seen people who hate their parents, and i dont see the logic... Untill they explain some of it... Then i do...
Well I suppose there are the people who have abusive parents.
But for a few years I didn't love my parents. They were extremely unsupportive of me and my choices and would not let me live my life to the point where I had to cut them out almost entirely. It put a strain on our relationship, but when I was involved in a car accident last september it changed us all and we are closer for it. I'm more patient with them and they respect my choices more. It's really strange because honestly if that hadn't happened we probably would never have reconciled our differences.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I love my father and forever honor his memory. He passed from this mortal coil and into the annals of legend and took his place at the honored table of the gods 24 years ago.

My mom, on the other hand, is a manipulative, abusive shrew of a woman who made my life a living hell right up until the moment I could get out from under her and move out on my own. We're no longer on speaking terms.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Yes I do, very much. I miss seeing them all the time but I have to admit that I don't think I could live with them anymore, lol. I do go to see them about once a week, and I admit that there are times when I think that they take me for granted (my brother has come to see them twice since being back some five months from the army), but I know they really love and appriciate me. Both of my parents have health issues and my dad almost died a few years go, and I fear losing them all the time. When they leave this world, I really don't know who I'll turn to.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I grew up with the belief that if someone was family, you had to love them, automatically. Realizing that I didn't even love my parents was a bit of a shock. Truth is, they've done little to earn any affection from me at all.

I know that sounds horribly depressing, but I'm really much better off now that I've realized that it's okay to not love them. I love plenty of other people.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
Aurora219 said:
I hope beyond hopes that people and kids that say they hate their parents would stick by them when needed regardless. It's only the true scum of the earth that deserves that kind of treatment from their own offspring.
Isn't it worse when parents don't stick by their kids when needed? After all, a parent is responsible for their child, and by definition a parent's primary purpose is to raise the child to the best of their ability. If they fail, then why should the child feel responsible for the parent?

If a parent has done something to truely deserve the child's hatred, then in my opinion, the parent is scum.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
My dad's awesome. If someone were really asking me this question in person, I'd be mildly offended. :p

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
It took me awhile, but I finally came around to loving my parents. After everything my Dad did for me to make sure I didn't end up a juvenile delinquent, moving me 70 miles in a weekend, moving all my stuff from my Mom's house to his house, and enrolling me in a new high school and chewing my ass out in a caring way when I screwed up. Without him I doubt I would've graduated high school. He's always been a great supporter, even with the divorce he and my mom had he always showed up for anything special, band concerts, football games, always wanted to spend time with his kids. My mom, it took awhile for me to really appreciate her, probably because I grew up with her, and she can be a bit psychotic and controlling. But eventually I realized raising two kids on your own and going to school and working can be hard, and now I love her to death. Life is too short to hate your parents, unless they were extremely abusive. I can see how people can hate their parents, but both of mine have made the best out of a bad situation and have done everything they can to raise their kids, they've never abused any of their kids beyond a well deserved spanking, and I love them for it. They treated us like human beings, not property, which if I ever have kids is a trait I hope to carry on.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My mum gets on my nerves sometimes but I love her to bits, she keeps the family together. It's taken me about 7 years to build this bond with her, when her and my dad divorced he would feed me poison about her so I absolutely fucking hated her and hated it when I had to live with her.
Now we've got a good enough bond. Her boyfriends a swell guy too, I don't want to call him my step dad if they get married because it's got negative connotations.
My dad tried kidnapping me once and he's just got out of jail I think. So yeah, don't love him.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Sonofadiddly said:
Aurora219 said:
Isn't it worse when parents don't stick by their kids when needed? After all, a parent is responsible for their child, and by definition a parent's primary purpose is to raise the child to the best of their ability. If they fail, then why should the child feel responsible for the parent?

If a parent has done something to truely deserve the child's hatred, then in my opinion, the parent is scum.
I know what you mean:

Emberwolf

Mar 7, 2010
Definitely. I think as a family we've been through far too much together, so we're just happy that we're all still here and in one piece. My dad and I have quite a few clashes (we both inherited a hot temper from his Irish mother) and I find myself jumping in the firing line to protect my mom, but when all is said and done we're pretty close. Being an only child strengthens that.
That said, I'm definitely looking forward to moving back into my own place in September.