Poll: Do you often finish rented games?

Humanslayer619

Dec 31, 2008
I rent games every so often whenever i get really bored of the games I own at the moment. But the games I rent are usually the new and exciting games which i can then test out b4 thinking of buying them.

It all depends on how long you can rent the game for AND if your actually going to buy it after that time is up. You don't want to rent a game for a couple of days, play it like there's no tomorrow and then have to give it back just as you're nearing the end. Then afterward going out and buying it only to finish it within the week because you played it Soooo much when you rented it the first time.

But it is a cheaper way to test a game rather than buying it outright only to find out that it wasn't what you wanted.

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah of course, why else would you rent the game? I try and play and get as much enjoyment as possible for the game, as I rent because I don't think it's worth $60, but looks interesting.

Darth Pope

Jun 30, 2009
I haven't rented a game since the days of the Genesis/Megadrive. I never buy games without intent to reach 100% completion, and renting is a a little detrimental to that goal...

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
I play the game like I would a title I bought. However, if I don't like a game I rented, my reaction to it is different, then if I spent $60 on a game I don't like. I can just return the rented one. Of course, if there is a game I know I'll like, I will get it straight away, like ME2, instead of renting it.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I generally rent a game to try before I buy - I've tried to rent them so I can finish the ones with no replay value and save some money, but it never works out that way. If I don't like the game I've lost nothing but usually this is only the case when I wouldn't have risked the full purchase price anyway.
If I like the game at first I lost the motivation to play it until I own it because I don't want to invest my time in something I'll be returning in a few days, even if I could probably finish it before them. Also, I probably would have bought the game eventually anyway.

In both cases the rental fee is kind of a waste of money for me.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
When I rent games, I usually focus on that game until I have to turn it back in, so I usually beat it in that time. It actually makes good sense for rental places to get games with poor replay value, when you look at it as a business. More people beat those games, so they go to other games, and others go to other games, and so on. Most likely, customers will screw up in the process, keeping games too long, etc. Therefore, the business will get more money to get more games, and, in the process, keeps their store open, while continuously turning a profit.

If your brain fried while reading this, sorry. Mine did too.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I don't rent games, but I borrow games off friends and lend games to them. Depending on the game, I'll finish it. Currently I'm borrowing Uncharted and I'll probably finish it, but I once borrowed Final Fantasy X and never got to the end.

Jun 13, 2009
I don't rent games. I and a couple of friends all own 360's, and most of the time if one of us has been looking to buy a game one of the others will own it. I'm currently borrowing Prototype, which is good because it means I don't even have to pay rent prices XD

If there's a game I really want to own I usually wait until it drops in price anyway, I just got Gears of War 1 for £6.50. :D

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
I usually try to finish the main storyline, but I don't try to farm all the achievements.

sooperg

Feb 25, 2009
every game ive EVER rented except for racing games ive beaten in two days to a week luigis mansion for example took two days i finish each game at about that. unless it's a real ***** like paper mario 1000 year door, THAT took a week.

sooperg

Feb 25, 2009
scnj said:
I don't rent games, but I borrow games off friends and lend games to them. Depending on the game, I'll finish it. Currently I'm borrowing Uncharted and I'll probably finish it, but I once borrowed Final Fantasy X and never got to the end.
sweet! thats my fave. i didn't need a FAQ for it til' Maester Seymour's fucked up Anima thing. scary little beasty aint it?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I pay 30 bucks a month and get 1 game at a time. Then it depends on the game. If I like it I will go for 100% completion (well as close as possible) if I don't I may or may not beat it depending on the game. I have returned games within an hour and other I have held onto for weeks.

McHampton

Jun 25, 2009
If I wait til a game is no longer a new release at my local place I can rent games for 7 days at a time at about $2.65 per game. At that price I will rent them more than once til I finish them if I have to.

Some games just hook me right in though. When I rented Prototype I liked it a lot, finished it in one 9.5 hour sitting.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
I tend to take my time, as i have a Gamepass from Blockbuster( $20 a month, play 1 game at a time,bring it back whenever you want, so on and so forth) My Xbox has about 64 games in it's library, i own around 14 if that gives you any sense of scope. best part about renting is that if you don't like the game you can return it the same day you rented it(This has happened twice, Lengendary and MechWarrior 4)

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
I rent the lions share of my games (through Gamefly) and the only reason I would never finish a rented game was if it really, really, REALLY sucked the root, or if the CD was scratched.