Poll: Do you own a gun? If so, why?

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
No. It requires money.

Besides, I have sharp kitchen utensils, power tools, and rusty gardening equipment.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Rooster Cogburn said:
tsb247 said:
chaser[phoenix said:
]
Rooster Cogburn said:
chaser[phoenix said:
]Even then, "right to bear arms" is outdated and, in my opinion, stupid now *is a silly American*.
Why is it outdated?
Because now, in 99% of everywhere in America, it warrants you no good to carry a gun on you.
Most establishments don't allow guns inside their premises anyway so carrying a pistol at your hip would do you no good.

Most everywhere has relatively responsible law enforcement and there is very little to no need to go all George Washington and disrupt their job by your firing a weapon.

Hell, if you pulled out a gun to "help" the situation they would probably either tell you to put it away or pull weapons on you due to the fact that absolutely no one is used to normal citizens first of all carrying guns and second, climbing into danger to help with a situation they likely don't belong in anyway.
Either way, citizens jumping into the fray is dangerous to the establishment they're in or to the law enforcement they are helping. If they're killed, Americans love to sue more than almost anything so undoubtedly relatives would do just that.
Ultimately, citizens taking the law into their own hands = outdated, so
"right to bear arms" = outdated
Most law enforcement in my state is very much in tune with cnoceal and carry laws and do not mind a civilian stepping in if need be. The idea is not to be a cop yourself, but rather to use judgement on whether or not you should step into a situation or not.

If two drunk guys were slugging it out on a street corner, it would be a bad idea to intervene. The one that's left standing will likely go to jail, and the one that goes down will win a trip to the hospital.

If a guy is beating someone with a crowbar and that someone could likely die, then there is plenty of cause (both morally and legally) to step in and stop the situation if possible.

A concealed weapon permit holder is immune to criminal and civil penalties if they are acting within the laws laid down by their state (at least in my state).

Lots of people ask, "Why do you carry a gun?" My response is, "because I can't fit a cop in my pocket."

The second amendment is far from outdated. In fact, it promotes a safer environment if interpreted the way it was meant to. There is nothing wrong with gun ownership. People are the real danger, not the weapons.

Just look up some cases where a concealed weapon carrier has done good, or look up a case where a civilian with a gun has been able to defend themselves or their family. Would you really want to take that ability away?

This video also does a decent job of explaining things and/or putting things into perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiz__JEcpzA

I would also like to point out that this:

"Ultimately, citizens taking the law into their own hands = outdated, so
'right to bear arms' = outdated"

is not a logical argument, nor is it true.
tsb247 brings up good points, and I have several things to add. First, as he says, a gun is a practical self-defense tool just like a fire extinguisher. Also, total blind reliance on the state in the form of law enforcement is impractical and complacent. It violates the founding precepts of our country. If a corporation fails to defend its copyrights, it will lose them on that basis alone. If you fail to defend your liberty, you will lose it, as we have consistently been losing it for almost one hundred and fifty years. And the domino effect does apply, no matter what politicians say at any particular moment.

Almost nowhere has responsible law enforcement. Responsible law enforcement is as paradoxical as military intelligence. I can only chalk this one up to naivete, and although I hope you learn different, I hope it doesn't come the hard way to you as it did to me. The situation you describe is not relevant because it is not consistent with the laws governing the use of firearms. Citizens do not and should not intervene with law enforcement, but that isn't what we're talking about.

Causing strife for the establishment causes me no worry. American government is supposed to exist for the benefit and convenience of the people, not the other way around.

And besides all that, you've hardly answered the question. The right to bear arms has many intended purposes, but the one expressly stated in The Constitution (God rest its bones) is to maintain the people's sovereignty over the state. That basic precept is hardly outdated. We need it now more than ever. Our government has grown far beyond its lawful limits. It is nothing short of authoritarian in scope and thoroughly undemocratic. It is an ugly beast of an empire which fails to provide for the needs of its citizens across the board.

Finally, and most importantly, one does not ban things simply because they are unnecessary. A free society does not impose its will on others without damn good reason, and "you can do without" doesn't make the cut.
Thank you!

It's good to see someone who knows what they are talking about!

sebar nl

Feb 10, 2009
wwjdftw said:
yes i have many guns, i like them i enjoy shooting them, cleaning/disassmebelming them and just handling them. But if push can to shove, i would more than likely gun your ass down with my MAK-47 (modified automatik kalishnakof= semi auto AK47= totally legal) i have alot of guns

pistols.

kimber modle 1911 45. ACP
kimber modle 1911 45. ACP PRO CARRY II
PHENIX ARMS 22.
taurus JUDGE 45 long colt/410 shotgun shell
ruger 22.
ruger 357 magnum

rifles
remington 30-06
savage .270
MAK-47 7.62x39

shotguns

browning 12 gauge shotgun
browning 12 guage shot gun youth

coast to coast 12 gauge model 367

remmington 1100 20 guage trap gun

old 20 guage bolt action shot gun

and those are just what i can name off the top of my head

and hopefully that is enough to detor all of you from deciding to fuck with me or my family
dude, why would i even want do do something to your family?

sebar nl

Feb 10, 2009
Crowghast said:
No. It requires money.

Besides, I have sharp kitchen utensils, power tools, and rusty gardening equipment.
i've got a demon from the fourth layer of hell, for free!

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
sebar nl said:
Crowghast said:
No. It requires money.

i've got a demon from the fourth layer of hell, for free!
I demand to know your supplyer! All I have is this Hellhound that sleeps and eats my slippers. :mad:

JoergerMeister

Apr 15, 2009
I own several guns. I view each of my guns as a tool. Each one of them serves their own purpose. I have a 20 gauge shotgun and a .22 rifle which I use for hunting, and a 45 cal handgun which I carry for personal protection.

If my family, friends, or myself were ever in danger of severe personal harm/injury or death I would most definitely use my carry gun to protect them or myself. Otherwise the only time it is ever used is at the range, to better prepare myself for a bad situation if it did arise.

The Seltsam One

Apr 14, 2009
conquerworm said:
Survival, and for the impending Zombie apocalypse... You could be my next head shot, so stay human. :p
Agreed! I took a class when I was 11 because I just read the zombie survival guide and I now keep a crowbar and a M1 carbine near the back door! Thank god I don't live in Cook county (Chicago), they don't allow those kind of guns up there. God, I'm too paranoid about zombies...

acturisme

Jul 21, 2008
Yes, I own firearms. Let us be clear on a few points. Firearm ownership is a right by the second amendment to the U.S. Constitution. However, it is also a responsibility. A responsible firearm owner will be adequately trained to handle, load, unload, transport and use his or her weapon/s. This is not something to be done lightly. All firearms are dangerous. This is no big supprise to anyone. Cars are dangerous also. You need a license to drive. If you don't drive responsibly your driving privilege may be revoked. If you don't want your second amendment right revoked use your weapons with extreme care.

Hunting may or may not be cruel to animals. But humans are primates. Many large primates are predators. Get over it. Predation is an individual choice.

Firearms are ubiquitous. There can be no getting rid of all of them. They exist in all countries and furthermore they exist in places that are largely ungoverned such as Somalia. All military world wide use firearms. Who saved Capt. Richard Phillips? Highly trained people with sniper rifles saved his life just this week.

Firearms are relatively simple to manufacture. They have been around for CENTURIES! Anyone with a pipe a projectile and some black powder can make a homemade hand cannon.

Lacking the ability to destroy firearms, the most we can accomplish is control. Personally I'd rather be in control of my weapons. I don't trust my government with them.

Nicholas D. Geninatti

3rd rung

Feb 20, 2009
I own one for target shooting, and I also do reanactments for WW2 so I own a lot of various weapons for that time period

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I own several guns, a few swords, and a machete. They're all part of my Zombie Plan.

kzap333

Mar 4, 2009
I don't own a gun and am very anti-guns (except in video games).
If no one had a gun no one would ever need a gun.
Self defence is a human right but if did accidentally kill someone with it you would go to prison.
Apart from hunting I don't think anyone needs a gun, and I know a lot of farmers (living in Oxfordshire UK) and of course they need a gun but I personally don't think any civilian should be allowed anything that's sole purpose is killing and wounding people.

In England you have to have a licence (which is VERY hard to get) to have any firearm and we have virtually no gun crime in the US anyone can buy a gun and there are much more gun crimes.

But that's just my opinion.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
I have a rifle at the barracks, and I've owned BB guns over the years. I'd only own a gun for the fun of shooting it - either target practice or hunting (never done that). Anybody who needs a gun to show how manly they are (poster 2 I hope that was a joke) just shows that they need to be compensating for something. Also the only type of protection you can do with a gun is either with an organization or if you're in an extreme wilderness with wolves or such around, anything else will land you either in jail or a mental hospital (eventually).

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
tsb247 said:
KissofKetchup said:
I do not own a gun, however not by choice. My meager income as a college student prevents me from owning firearms. However I do plan on purchasing a firearm in the near future. My hopes are that I might be able to obtain a P90 or MP7 as a PDW when I get commissioned in the Air Force
You would be surprised how cheap a decent firearm can be. I am a simple college student, and I manage to be able to buy guns every once in a while. It's all about knowing what you want, and finding something in your price range.

However, it is unlikely the Air Force will issue a P90 or an MP7. They would most likely toss you a Beretta and/or an M16 just like they do to everyone else. Police forces occasionally get issued P90s, but for the most part, those weapons are widely used.
Yeah I know...I was hoping that I could buy the full-auto version of the P90 and not the semi-auto civilian version.

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
have a " civilian friendly" p-90 as a real one was cheaper than a Stargate replica one.. so it's on a fan girl shrine, no ammo

kzap333

Mar 4, 2009
Matronadena said:
have a " civilian friendly" p-90 as a real one was cheaper than a Stargate replica one.. so it's on a fan girl shrine, no ammo
WOW, now that is one gun I would have, not with ammo of course, I can't believe that it would be cheaper than an SG replica though.
I know stargate is the longest running US SciFi series but I'm still surprised every-time I run into someone in a forum who has heard of it odd, I was glad they referenced it in the last Doomsday Arcade, but that's waaaay off topic, so yes I suppose I would own a gun but only for fan purposes and never any ammo.