Poll: Do you own a gun? If so, why?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Darkside360 said:
It's simple human instinct. You don't get much time in situations like that. Make the wrong choice and it could be your last. Thats really how it is.
Not really. Guy walks into your house. There is threat, there is danger. I'm not going to argue this. You have a weapon that could take his life in an instant. He must realise this, if not talk to him until you can make an understanding. Sure, if he smashes through the door with an axe and runs at you screaming, then yes, take the nessiassry action, but you're talking murder. Killing a man with no intent other then he just came in. Maybe he was the new neighbour who saw an open door? You have no idea the moments in his life, the people that know or love him. You don't even know their name yet you are so quick to end him completly and fully.
You were either brought up in such a crazed environment with brain-washing to imagine that everyone must be bad and there is no option other than violence, or you are just cruel, jaded and evil to want this.

And why a gun? Like so many other people have said, dogs and security works so much better. Having a gun for protection is so overblown and paranoid. It has achieved nothing but countless deaths. My family went to America for a while (without me) and they took homes stories of roadrage ending in someone getting out there car and killing another man. And another story of the same detail. People don't need guns! There is no war going on down the road. There is no perverbial murderer that stalks your family. You are safe. As soon as the American government finally cracks down on arms the better you people will be.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Darkside360 said:
I dunno if a dog would be the best choice for defense. The intruder could just kill it. If you don't like guns how about a crossbow?
Australia has pretty tough laws on guns and crossbows and other similar weapons. I doubt intruders would be equipped enough to murder my poor dog.

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
It's simple human instinct. You don't get much time in situations like that. Make the wrong choice and it could be your last. Thats really how it is.
Not really. Guy walks into your house. There is threat, there is danger. I'm not going to argue this. You have a weapon that could take his life in an instant. He must realise this, if not talk to him until you can make an understanding. Sure, if he smashes through the door with an axe and runs at you screaming, then yes, take the nessiassry action, but you're talking murder. Killing a man with no intent other then he just came in. Maybe he was the new neighbour who saw an open door? You have no idea the moments in his life, the people that know or love him. You don't even know their name yet you are so quick to end him completly and fully.
You were either brought up in such a crazed environment with brain-washing to imagine that everyone must be bad and there is no option other than violence, or you are just cruel, jaded and evil to want this.

And why a gun? Like so many other people have said, dogs and security works so much better. Having a gun for protection is so overblown and paranoid. It has achieved nothing but countless deaths. My family went to America for a while (without me) and they took homes stories of roadrage ending in someone getting out there car and killing another man. And another story of the same detail. People don't need guns! There is no war going on down the road. There is no perverbial murderer that stalks your family. You are safe. As soon as the American government finally cracks down on arms the better you people will be.
Agree with you on all points.

Unfortunatly, most americans will be like "But it's in the constitution!". What most fail to realise is that the section in question was actually refuring to over throwing a CORRUPT GOVERMENT

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Darkside360 said:
Thats a pretty scary instinct you have their..

If someone who I didn't know walked into my house the first thing I would do is ask "whats up" NOT kill/attack him.

I have nothing against guns for sport or to a lesser extent hunting (if the circumstances are right) but they should be locked in a safe with the ammo in another safe and the combination to those safes in another safe.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Darkside360 said:
Its not murder if somone is in your home, especially when you said yourself, there is threat, there is danger. Its self defense. If I see someone enter my home, I'm getting my gun, he has that chance to either get out or say something to make himself not a threat.

I laugh when people talk about disarming America. Banning guns does NOT stop criminals from getting them. Its our RIGHT to own a gun. Our country was founded on guns. If our government ever becomes courrpt and cannot replace it by normal means, we can abolish it by force. Disarming is the dumbest thing you can do to a populace. It puts the government in total control. Thats how dictatorships start my friend.
I found this interesting.

From Wiki
In South Korea, it is a capital offense for anyone not related to military to own or distribute firearms.

More infomation
http://ataglance.wordpress.com/2007/02/03/table-4-trends-comparison/

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well just so everyone here knows, a gun can be a false sense of security in a home protection sense, if you have it someplace that you can get to it quick but your house is robbed without you being there then suddenly that gun isnt yours anymore, so if you do get a gun keep it locked up if its not on your person

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Darkside360 said:
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:

Its not murder if somone is in your home, especially when you said yourself, there is threat, there is danger. Its self defense. If I see someone enter my home, I'm getting my gun, he has that chance to either get out or say something to make himself not a threat.

I laugh when people talk about disarming America. Banning guns does NOT stop criminals from getting them. Its our RIGHT to own a gun. Our country was founded on guns. If our government ever becomes courrpt and cannot replace it by normal means, we can abolish it by force. Disarming is the dumbest thing you can do to a populace. It puts the government in total control. Thats how dictatorships start my friend.
aparently you dont know that military tech has come along way since the musket and unless you have something aproaching an anti tank rifle, any kind of gun you have would be useless for killing anything but a neighbor

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Colt Single Action Army 2nd generation. It was a gift from my grandfather. it belonged to my great-grandfather. They have yet to tell me how he got it or if he was in a war. I think that time carries quite the stigma for my granddad.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Okay (sighs). A few points here:

Darkside360 said:
Its not murder if somone is in your home...
It is. It really is.

Noun: murder

1. An act of deliberate killing.

You're taking someone's life deliberatly. It is murder.

Darkside360 said:
I laugh when people talk about disarming America. Banning guns does NOT stop criminals from getting them. Its our RIGHT to own a gun.
It is, is it? Do you snuggle up to your gun at night. Pat it and give it a name? The OP stated that he didn't want this argument brought up so I'll drop it, but you have a 'right to bear arms against an agressor.' There's a difference. Sorry, andyy, I'll move on.

Darkside360 said:
Our country was founded on guns. If our government ever becomes courrpt and cannot replace it by normal means, we can abolish it by force. Disarming is the dumbest thing you can do to a populace. It puts the government in total control. Thats how dictatorships start my friend.
Umm (looks at Australia) oh, this horrible oppression. Between the gun violence from criminals and our overpowering law, how are we to live?

Guns are needless in todays society. They cause more harm then good. The Port Arthur massacre was a massive wake up call to Australia. We tightened up and put away our guns. We're much better for it. yet America has an annual massacre and yet all you do is A) buy more guns, or B) blame something else and move on. Wake up!

I don't know, maybe I just love people. A subtle difference we have. People are awesome, and every one has their own imagination, stories, worlds, loves, friends, family. To get people so agrevated to murder and kill, and to give them the means of guns is terribly wrong. There needs to be massive change now. The laws have to be strict. South Korea and Japan have a good system that should be brought into effect into America. As soon as people see that guns are pointless, we can all finally move on.
But I am happy. Each generation breeds smarter people. We're starting to realise the stupidity of man and how to change. we're starting to spite violence and whatnot. I like this. We should keep it up.

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
I?ve got a gun for hunting and a hand gun for competition shootings.... You got to be ready for those inconvenient zombie apocalypse-es

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I'm not voting, because No.. I do not yet own a gun, but when I get a job, I will be buying one.

For protection and just for shooting at a range, it's fun.

Must be ready for the zombie apocalypse.... or just the downfall of the nation.

data_not_found

Nov 12, 2008
I used to own a shot gun to scar away people just by cocking it when they weren't in the room, but I ended up getting rid of it simply because it wasn't practical. A gun is sort of like a nuke to me. I don't expect to use it, but the fact that I have one keeps people from trying to rob me.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Darkside360 said:
You do know the military swears and oath to defend the constitution right? Banning guns is attack that constitution therfore the military would not support the government.
And this is how far brain-washing and an ancient piece of paper written by by a bunch of dead guys can go.

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
Darkside360 said:
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
You do know the military swears and oath to defend the constitution right? Banning guns is attack that constitution therfore the military would not support the government.
And this is how far brain-washing and an ancient piece of paper written by by a bunch of dead guys can go.
Yeah my bad for defending the values my country was founded on.
I'd like to point out to you that you actually have no right to a gun. When written, the document you claim gives you this right, in fact means that in case of a corrupt goverment you are allowed to bear arms and over throw it.

Then you must consider the social and historical context of when the document was written. Really that little section has no power today because for one of many reasons, as pointed out earlier, the military would "whoop-ass" on your tiny little civilian weapons.

PatientGrasshopper

Nov 2, 2008
Making laws to prohibit the ownership of guns only hurts law abiding citizens. As criminals disregard law anyway they will get a hold of guns where as law abiding citizens won't be able to and so will be at a disadvantage. SO the reason to keep guns legal is for self defense of the potential victims. Hunting is also a good use for them.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Darkside360 said:
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
Yeah my bad for defending the values my country was founded on.
Mhmm. Blindly defending the values of others is a horrible concept. It causes this sort of stuff to happen. Your country was also founded on slave trade, but yet today you guys are opposed to it. *Sticks thumbs up* Props to you.
I guess I just don't understand patriotism. The ability to blindly die for your country reaches far beyond the betterment of the man standing next to you. This cause wars and death. Look at the Cold War. What did that achieve? You waved your manhood around to as Russia did likewise. And now you've screwed up a few nations, caused a lot of casualties and have a massive stockpile of nuclear arms that are going to sit around a do nothing.

I would be right to dump this country for many things. I love this place. It's such a nice, friendly country with no civil wars and not a lot of intolerence. But I would never die for it.

I don't know. You're mindset is so far gone, it would be hard to show you how good things would be if we could just get over this paranoia and 'values'. I think the consitution should belong in a museum for people to gawk at, not found an entire country. Take the thing to heart and not wrap it up in your mind.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Own/access to a couple
Glock 32 .357 sig is my baby though.
I'd rather have the option to protect myself (even if thats 1 in 5000) than to willingly be a victim.