Poll: Do you own a gun? If so, why?

llewgriff

Feb 12, 2009
cyber_andyy said:
ranc0re said:
I own a few guns for hunting and what-not. None of this "It's to protect my family" bullshit. Mine's to get meat for me and my family.
llewgriff said:
I have several guns, I use them for hunting, recreation and protection.
kommando367 said:
Yes, to kill deer, birds, opossums, racoons, you(everyone reading this post, I'm watching you) with.
Gotham Soul said:
I sometimes need to put down my raving fans with force.

Nah, just kidding. I like to go hunting occasionally during the autumn.

I hope you actually eat the meat, other wise your just killing animals for the sake of it, which is barbaric in my opinion.

The idea of it all still seems barbaric in itself,just that you don't eat the meat is more barbaric, along with fishing in my mind, why kill some thing, when you could by a version ment for slaughter?

For instance chickens. The ones that are bred for meat, don't know what true life is like, so I don't mind eating them, as they don't know that this is "cruel"( I use that term loosely) treatment for them.

Where as if you kill a fish in a river, or a rabbit in the forest, or even a dear, that animal was living a "normal" life, until you came along and shot it with out real need to. Which I believe is barbaric.
My dad taught me to eat what I kill so yes I do.

Gotham Soul

Aug 12, 2008
cyber_andyy said:
I hope you actually eat the meat, other wise your just killing animals for the sake of it, which is barbaric in my opinion.
I'm actually a professional in the taxidermy industry..

Okay, bad joke, sorry. I'll hit myself.

No, I don't hunt for sport. If I were to explain it in natural "humans are better" fashion, bullets are expensive and I'm not being paid to kill those animals. I always hunt out of necessity [if, like last year's Thanksgiving, my fridge is empty, the stores are out of domestic turkey and I'm sick of eating crab].

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I used to be a cop. So, I have a gun. It is not for 'protection' at home. Statistically you're much more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder. I keep the bullets in one locked box and the gun in a safe that weighs 100lbs (about 45kg) and requires a 5 digit code (numbers and letters. My new house is being outfitted with a security system for protection. I am 6'6 (about 1.98 meters) tall so I don't usually carry anything around for protection; I just keep a dummy wallet in my front pocket in case I get mugged.

I also have a duck hunting shotgun but it is kept in storage save during duck season where it is locked away. I usually buy the shells I need on the way to hunting.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
From my house thieves have stolen 4 bikes, a hose and a 55 gallon drum i used for trash, it was still dirty! So yea, I think I need one.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
cyber_andyy said:

The idea of it all still seems barbaric in itself,just that you don't eat the meat is more barbaric, along with fishing in my mind, why kill some thing, when you could by a version ment for slaughter?

For instance chickens. The ones that are bred for meat, don't know what true life is like, so I don't mind eating them, as they don't know that this is "cruel"( I use that term loosely) treatment for them.

Where as if you kill a fish in a river, or a rabbit in the forest, or even a dear, that animal was living a "normal" life, until you came along and shot it with out real need to. Which I believe is barbaric.
Most Americans do not hunt solely for sport; Most states have laws against over killing as well. (A set limit of how many you can personally get in one season) Except the most redneckish areas most of us are taught not to hunt what you don't want to eat OR for defense.

My grandfather hunts coyotes and (before it was illegal) mountain lions when they start living on his property and killing his sheep, chickens, and hogs. That whole 'tranq and re-release' does not work. Coyotes and Mountain Lions animals have a specific range which they carve out for their own and if released even 50 miles away they will find their way back. Especially such an excellent area filled with ewes.

wwjdftw

Mar 27, 2009
yes i have many guns, i like them i enjoy shooting them, cleaning/disassmebelming them and just handling them. But if push can to shove, i would more than likely gun your ass down with my MAK-47 (modified automatik kalishnakof= semi auto AK47= totally legal) i have alot of guns

pistols.

kimber modle 1911 45. ACP
kimber modle 1911 45. ACP PRO CARRY II
PHENIX ARMS 22.
taurus JUDGE 45 long colt/410 shotgun shell
ruger 22.
ruger 357 magnum

rifles
remington 30-06
savage .270
MAK-47 7.62x39

shotguns

browning 12 gauge shotgun
browning 12 guage shot gun youth

coast to coast 12 gauge model 367

remmington 1100 20 guage trap gun

old 20 guage bolt action shot gun

and those are just what i can name off the top of my head

and hopefully that is enough to detor all of you from deciding to fuck with me or my family

iron codpiece

Mar 17, 2009
I own a gun for the sole purpose of perplexing people from other countries who get mad when we judge or ask about their social mores and values but think it's okay to do it to us and with a derisive and haughty attitude.
I own my pellet guns specifically to pelt filthy liberals as they walk the streets reading the new yorker and drinking their lattes.

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
I own a few different caliber rifles for hunting, and a shotgun for shooting clay targets and occasionally quail.

I eat what I kill, and feed the bones 'n stuff to my dogs, so no part goes wasted.

Jobz

May 5, 2008
I don't own a gun because I'm too young at the moment. But I plan to buy a handgun as a 21st birthday present to myself when the time comes. It's mostly for protection, but also because I just love guns. I plan to collect them if I have ever have the financial means to do so.

I could buy a shotgun or rifle now if I chose to (I'm 19 so it's legal) but I don't hunt frequently enough to warrant owning my own. I just use my father's or my uncle's when we go.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
clicketycrack said:
I own a gun for protection but I don't even have any ammuntion for it. Don't make much sense does it?
It does.
If the other person was serious you probably wouldn't have had a chance to fire your own gun. If you're not intending to shoot anyone, a gun without bullets is as effective as one with bullets.(as long as you can't see that the gun is empty)

On-topic: No, IIRC recently a law was passed that bans the ownership of any weapon here in Holland. Guns were already banned, this new law only banned the ownership of anything that was made to hurt something. And this new law was only made because a few idiots decided to bring knives to a public place and cut people.
The only people that can own a gun are soldiers, cops and hunters. None of them are allowed to take their weapon(s) with them when they're not working though.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
No, I don't hunt so I don't need one. "Protection" isn't a valid reason in my country to carry a gun anyway.

I don't understand that mentality anyway because it only works if the other guy doesn't have a gun, and if you expect others to have one why wouldn't you have one if you're going to be robbing people?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
JRslinger said:
Some of my guns are for recreation only. One of my pistols I carry legally for protection. My mentality is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I also believe that self defense is a human right.
This.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
I'll be 18 in a few months and If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get a concealed weapons liscense and buy a handgun. All I have to do is prove that I can use a gun without causing collatteral damage, and apply and pay money. Then I'm officially armed.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
cyber_andyy said:
My family (especially my brother and sister-in-law) eat venison and my uncle likes racoon meat. However when I commonly find Opossums, stray cats, and racoons (stray dogs found in my yard are very rare) on my porch and or yard, I declare open season on their asses whether I eat them or not.