Poll: Do you play as yourself in an RPG?

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
I find the "evil bastard" route in games is just too unrealistic. The character always ends up being evil for the sake of evil, and it gets a little silly. I've never seen a game do the evil route properly. Never. KOTOR, Fallout, Mass Effect, they all do evil over the top. No one is evil for the sake of being evil. I can't wait for the day the evil character is actually taken seriously and isn't just some super villain "bad guy for no reason" guy.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
I thought you meant if we try to make them look like us, sometimes I do. Most of the time though I just make them a freak.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
There is no reason acting as a real wicked idiot in the first place. Even without being a bloodthirsty beast there's always the gore.

The Potato Lord

Dec 20, 2007
Unless I'm going for completely evil options to explore parts of the game I didn't see the first playthrough, I play as me, but with a BEARD!

JetFool

Sep 20, 2009
I'll typically try to make the character different from myself, for example, by being a douche, but I end up feeling guilty. So I revert back to being everyone's best friend.

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
I do, even when I try to be evil I accidentally end up helping everyone. Being mean is hard.

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah, i do, i used to for ages without really noticing or intending it but now i do intentionaly coz i know itll end the same way anyway at least this way im in control >:D

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
Janus Vesta said:
I do, even when I try to be evil I accidentally end up helping everyone. Being mean is hard.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! yeah i tried to be mean a few times too when i was bored .. dickheadism just isn't my style either

... i hate getting drunk on mmos though .. i always wake up with a full friends list and an empty bank

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Not as such, no. I tend to RP whatever character I make, but they typically have some of my mannerisms and most of my beliefs, along with whatever motivations I assign them.

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Just can't bring myself to pick the mean option in games no matter how hard I try. I can be mean in real life, but only if someone was mean to me in the first place!

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Yes, always on my first play through

However I change on my second play through. Like go evil or use a non human race

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
My default RPG setting is "evil bastard", but sometimes to mix things up I play it as I would.

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
I find it more frustrating to play myself. Why? Because you can't. There's no video game that has true RP, just choices. And most RPGs with the "RP" system are lacking in even that, especially when it comes to interacting with NPCs (playing KoTOR:TSL right now... I don't even remember how many times I've had a retort or comment in mind that doesn't appear in the dialogue options).
It's too limited to play such a specific character such as "you".

This is why I usually like playing with a female character in games with a player character. It gives me more distance to them, making it easier to mold them into actual characters rather than just my avatar. Not always succesful either, if there's no hint of personality in the dialogue options.
KoTOR is pretty good with this, allowing to establish a certain kind of character by annoying the hell out of Bastila and joking/flirting with Carth, etc. etc. right from the start.
As a result I have an ideo what kind of character she was: Light-hearted, unsentimental and never-too-serious character, which makes her usually too detached to let her temper show. And since she is also an amazing leader/pazaak player/swoop racer/force user, it her a borderline genius ditz.
Although the game didn't of course allow me to keep her in character all the time, there were enough memorable scene where I could establish the character as such and the ones that didn't directly fall in line with that weren't too contradicting. I don't think any other game, Bioware or not, has really made me as satisifed with how I made the player character turn out.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I make my own character but I choose the choices (if its that kinda game.)that I would choose.

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
Yes, on purpose. In any given situation, I choose what I would choose in real life. Like in Dragon Age, when the blacksmith wanted me to find his daughter in Redcliffe I told him I would, but I made no effort to do so and came back like "Sorry, I did my best." And when I was trying to recruit Sten, I straight up threatened the lady in the church telling me all this bull about her faith. And then Morrigan approved and I was even happier about my decision.

I'll do this for the first playthrough, but if there are achievements for doing things differently, then different things shall be done.

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
Yes, but I almost never do it intentionally.
When I play an evil character I start feeling stupid for killing the old man instead of letting him give me free armor, so I re-load and choose the way I prefer.
When I play good I get sick of being a, for lack of better word, pussy and running around on people's beck and call.
So I end up playing a greedy, greedy neutral guy who occassionaly just fucks up your day for fun.