Poll: Do you prefer American English spelling or British English spelling?

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
I find it too hard to decide, but in the end I'll have to go with the former as I consider it a bit more phonetic, therefore less confusing for me personally and people who might learn English as a foreign language. However, I do have to admit that there is a certain appeal to utilizing the former because it has a certain air of ornateness that I feel is lacking in English compared to other languages; French being the prime example.

Theon Tonarim

Oct 26, 2008
I like the way the British spell honor (honour). I just think it's a lot cooler than the American version. But for every other word like it (color/colour), I prefer the Americanized form.

Jan 9, 2009
Not to sound like an American asshat right now.
But English is English i don't think i can be such a xenophobic dickhead that one areas take on one language can be basically the same, sorry.

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
I've never been able to completely shake the proper Cambridge spelling. Drives me nuts that words like Colour, honour, sabre , etc get flagged as incorrect >.<

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
British. "Thru", "color" and all those irritate me to no end.
Edit:I have now been informed that "thru" is not an actuall American spelling, I apologise.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Gosh, that's hard. Some British spellings just don't sound as graceful or enunciative a they should, yet I am always finding myself slipping into British spelling in my writing with knowing it.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
American english is in the bluntest term the lazy mans english.

It was made to acompany the forigners to the language, also Noah Webster never got permission to change the language and still to this day isn't a real dialect, but that fact is overlooked, i hate it when i spell Colour the real way aparrently im "wrong".

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
American. My English teachers have hammered my spelling errors into my brain enough times. I'm not giving it up.

waggmd

Feb 12, 2009
British spelling as any good Canadian would tell you. It always bothered me as a kid when Microsoft Word kept telling me to correct my spelling.

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
SmilingKitsune said:
British. "Thru", "color" and all those irritate me to no end.
"Thru" is not proper American English. It sits in the same basket of silly words as "lite" and other such things.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
I speak English, eat Biscuits and wear Trousers, especially when I'm skiving off down the chippy with a fiver.

Saavy? ;)

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Seeing as I'm English (Irish technically but that's just getting into details) I go with the English spelling (colour, armour, honour, axe etc.).

My girlfriend, by contrast, uses the American spellings (don't ask me why, I don't really know). Thus far it hasn't led to any confusion or problems so I don't understand what the big issue around spelling is.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
I mix and match. Color, Armour, Honor.... But Axe? Axe is axe is axe is axe. Does any other English speaking country call it something else?

ranc0re

Mar 27, 2009
I prefer Canadian spelling! A mixture of both American and British forms.

IE:

American: Color
Canadian: Colour

British: Tyre
Canadian: Tire

Wooooooo!