Poll: Do you question people that play opposite gendered character in games

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
No, I don't question said people. Doesn't matter whether you're male or female, you can bloody well play whatever gender you want in video games. I, myself, mostly play as male characters when given the choice... probably my way of living some grand adventure vicariously through them.

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
Dread Skavos said:
I play female characters when given the choice because I figure if I am going to see them for the duration of the game they might as well be eye candy.
What you said is exactly why I never question people playing opposite genders. It's when they begin to ACT as if they are the opposite gender I wonder a little.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
racrevel said:
Yes, yes another genderish thread,

This spurred from a discussion with a friend, but when you see someone playing a character with a gender opposite to their own do you question them over it?, be it on World of Warcraft, fighting games or whatever other game gives you a choice of male of female character.

Also does it matter to you and do you care if they do or not?

Personally I've never been asked and when asking my friends no one really cared.. So your turn escapist.
uhhh no....

should I be blamed for playing male when 90% of charachters are?

Im getting a "are you bothered by teh gay?" vibe here

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
In attempt to achieve immersion I for one only play Male Melee character in RPGs.
I can understand some peoples logic of " if im going to play this for 100+ hours I'd rather look at a butt I want to look at ( a females )".
But if you run around the game advertising yourself as a Girl in RL and aren't then questions should be raised.
Character types shouldn't be included in the discussion as they are playing styles.
Genders in games is just aesthetics, and in fighting games they tend to have different styles.

I'm trying to say I don't see a problem until you start interacting with other people as a girl in game and aren't that it gets creepy

May 17, 2010
No. I am disinclined to interact with people about gaming most of the time, preferring to see it like masturbation, enjoyable but best not brought up in polite company. Gaming in an intensly private thing for me so to interact with others about without the shield of anonymity would be something I would feel profound discomfort over.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sun Flash said:
No. Although I have been questioned myself on it. I guess it's not as weird since I'm a girl. My reasoning is boring though; Games that tend to allow gender selection also tend to have the coolest outfits for guys, or ones that at least sit better on their models.

Case in point; Skyrim. I love the Fur armour for chilling in towns, but the female variants just look ridiculous. Same with the Dragonscale armour.

The only games I recall that averts that issue is Mass Effect 2/3. Femshep looks just as bad ass as Default Shep in all her outfits (apart from the N7 leather outfit in 3. That's just silly). My personal favourite is the Serrice Council chest piece.

On a related note, my guy friend proudly plays lady characters, and seems to think "If I have to look at an ass for 10 hours, I want it to be a chicks!" is a bullet proof argument.

I mean I guess it is, but when he says it, he just sounds like a stereotypical basement dwelling uber nerd.
we got shafted on the fucking dress.....:(..and I didnt have the hoodie on my second playthrough (different game on PC)

I'll always play female if I can

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
370999 said:
No. I am disinclined to interact with people about gaming most of the time, preferring to see it like masturbation, enjoyable but best not brought up in polite company. Gaming in an intensly private thing for me so to interact with others about without the shield of anonymity would be something I would feel profound discomfort over.
seriously?...theres no shame in gaming

I wouls shut up about if I had somone in real life to talk to

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
a female playing as a male is somewhat justified because a lot of the time, she is only doing so because many times guys do still harass or hit on girls in video games because they dont know how to behave in civilized society.

in general, i think its kinda weird to play as a different gender. im a trans female so i play a female character because i identify as female. if a guy plays an for a girl simply because they think the female models look cooler or something like that, i see no issue. if, however, they play as a female so they can stare at her ass or something like that, then that creeps me out a little bit

May 17, 2010
Vault101 said:
370999 said:
seriously?...theres no shame in gaming

I wouls shut up about if I had somone in real life to talk to
I don't know if shame would be how I would describe it.

More a dislike of sharing something close to my heart with people I am not overly familiar with.

Loved ones obviously would know, but I have never been generous about doling out personal information.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
370999 said:
I don't know if shame would be how I would describe it.

More a dislike of sharing something close to my heart with people I am not overly familiar with.

Loved ones obviously would know, but I have never been generous about doling out personal information.
thats...an interesting way of putting it, I sort of get it

if I talk abotu gaming with somone it does feel kind of personal

usually I dont because I know the other person wonts have a clue what Im goin on about

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Vault101 said:
uhhh no....

should I be blamed for playing male when 90% of charachters are?

Im getting a "are you bothered by teh gay?" vibe here

Could be, but I'm a lesbian so I don't know where your getting it :D
The whole thing came up when someone said they we're sick of being questioned over it, I said it seems odd I've never been questioned, they said I was the odd one out and it lead to this post.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
racrevel said:
Could be, but I'm a lesbian so I don't know where your getting it :D
The whole thing came up when someone said they we're sick of being questioned over it, I said it seems odd I've never been questioned, they said I was the odd one out and it lead to this post.
welll it seems like the kind of thing to be directed at guys I supose...and only guys would be that silly to make a big deal out of it

not like you can blame us for playing as a guy

Drudenfusz

May 11, 2011
I watch movies with a main character that has a different gender, I read books with a main character that has a different gender, so why should I make a difference for games there? Do you question people who are watching movies or reading books the protagonists that have a different gender? This gender thing in games is just silly.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Why ask? It's fairly obvious why they do it. Eye candy! YAY! Yup, I'm one of those people myself.

At least in private. If I ever played an online game, I would most likely choose a same-gender avatar. Online, people can't see my real face, and I wouldn't want to set myself up for misunderstandings!

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
I don't question it, but I do ask my friend who only ever chooses to play Females what the hell.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Misread the poll, I thought it was asking if I played the opposite gender...

I don't see why it needs to be questioned really, as long as they're not trying to trick other MMO players into thinking they're female : \

You know, sometimes I feel like trying something different; is it that strange that 2 of my 7 wow characters are female?

I'd be more likely to question the sexuality of a guy who would willingly play as one of these lovely gentlemen

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I find it a little odd in MMO games like WoW and such, but games like Mass Effect, or Skyrim? No, I play as female some times, just like how I don't only watch action movies. It mixes it up and makes it so I'm not the same character every time.
MMO's on they other hand aren't about playing as a character, they are about playing up as you, and it seems a little weird to dress up as the opposite gender.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Majority of the time, I roll female. I apologize for the cliche', but yes, mostly because I find females substantially easier on the eyes. However, every so often I think a female just suits the role/class better. :p

Like when male models are stuck as brick-like manly men- they're not really rogue/mage material, if ya ask me. But then again, a lithe female as a knight or paladin or the like? That aesthetic is ridiculously awesome to me. I don't find it "funny" or anything, but... well, I have a female pally on NWN2 that wields a tower shield in one hand, and a friggin' greatsword in the other (via Monkey Grip feat, not hacks 9_9). I can't help but feel super-awesome playing as her...

I guess in the end, I find males kinda boring or... something? I dunno. :S

Anyhoo, I question nothing. There's plenty of reasons for someone to play their opposite gender in any game. Whether a guy wants to leer at his character's rear, seduce other guys for "teh lulz" and loot, subconsciously bring identity issues to the surface, or a lady rolling a dude to avoid attention...

It matters naught to me. /:p