Poll: Do you question people that play opposite gendered character in games

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Nah hell sometimes I am those people mostly in were I think it suits the story and the dialog more I.E. Mass effect

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
oplinger said:
>.> I think the way you worded it is a bit silly. Playing premade characters isn't weird...so why would anyone care? Like in fighting games...if a girl fits my play style...I'll be a girl.

Now people who create characters of opposite genders might just be speaking volumes about the way they think. ..Not that they need to be questioned. But I think a guy making a Skyrim character to look like his dream girl might be a little out of touch, I don't think it requires a looking in to.

I play both genders because I slightly believe in gender roles in games. Not that I think women belong in the kitchen, but women are typically more agile than guys >> so they work better as rangers, or casters. ..and you know..all that physiological stuff.

THERE. Made my own entertainment.
Also, the male models in most games (especially world of warcraft) look like utterly stupid bodybuilders. TOTALLY suited for rangers and magic characters...

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I never question it because, despite being a woman, I play male toons most of the time. I only really start questioning folks when they make claims about being a certain gender yet refuse to speak on Vent. Sure, some folks just don't want to, but that's honestly the only time I start wondering.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Personally I find people playing as the oposite gender on games disturbing =/ But I don't think its an issue

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
i tend to pick a female character when ever the choice presents it's self.

partly having an attractive character to watch through the game.
partially for the female voices.

my mas effect and dragon age playthoughs were exclusively female. except for the one maleshep i did to romance tali :D.

I just tend to love playing as a sweet combat/soldier/hero woman.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
distortedreality said:
TestECull said:
No, and why the fuck would I? Anyone who has a problem with this is too stupid to breathe without help.
Maybe that's why we haven't heard from the OP in a while....
Except OP posted on the previous page. Ten hours before you, sure, but still recently enough.

templar1138a said:
I only question it if the player is male, they've set the breasts and/or hips to maximum size, and they deliberately choose armor pieces that show as much skin as possible.
Barely related, I installed Skyrim the other day (hadn't played it before then) and I decided to try the character creator to see how it is. I picked a Dunmer female, and went on with the customization. Well, generally I found lots of options to be too in-depth for my taste, but all in all it wasn't that bad. Then I reached the Body customization, I thought she looked a bit on the skinny side, so I wanted to give her more meat on the bones, so she looked more normal. To my surprise, the dial was all the way to the right. Ugh. I could only make her skinnier than that.

Shrapenel92

Mar 27, 2012
Not anymore, I have to admit I used to, but after my friend enlightened me to the amount of free stuff he got in Runescape from male players back in the day, when he played as a woman, it all sort of made sense.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
No, I don't see it as odd when girls play Halo or when guys play Metroid. ALthough I have to admit I do see it as odd when girls play Other M

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Given the choice I tend to make female avatars about half the time (I am Male). Why? I don't really know. I think it's just a refreshing change of pace since most games force you to be male. It's nice to switch it up.

Plus in an MMO you should always be a female, since a surprising amount of forever alone types will give you free stuff. Though if people ask my actual gender, I'll tell them the truth.

I think a lot of it comes from one's ability to roleplay (I mean in terms of an RPG) and to view their avatar as a separation of the self. My on screen character is not ME, they are themselves. You see this sort of separation in D&D all the time: "It's not what I would do, but it's what my character would do".

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
No, I don't. Two reasons:

1) I'm not so monstrously insecure as to get weirded-out over petty shit like "oh man that dude made his video game character a lady."

2) What the fuck do I care about what somebody else plays?

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
how i play genders
men are good guys
women are bad girls
neuter is neutral

what can i say, it's better love someone who can bloody murder you, but chooses not too. Not for you i'm just screwed up in the head.

Cannibal Johnson

Dec 29, 2011
No, if a woman wants to play as a man or vice-versa it doesn't bother me. I don't judge. Me personally though, I (being a male) always play as a guy when given the choice. I think its just because playing as some one of opposite gender breaks immersion for me. But if a game has a female protagonist its not a deal breaker, but like I said. When given the choice, I play male

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
I played an entire playthrough of Halo: Reach as the female Six just for the intent of hearing the different voice acting. So I can't really talk.