Poll: Do you think Esports should be taken as serious as traditional sports?

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
Lets talk about Esports..Do you support them?..what is the future of Esports..obviously its a huge thing in Korea with Starcraft..a lot of European and American players are moving in Korea to have better conditions and earn more money..it used to be a big thing with CounterStrike back in the day..with the PGL..my favorite Esport and sport in general is Starcraft..and i do what i can to support the community and encourage Esports..whats your opinion?

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
pro SC gamers have to be fit..have physical training sessions..and they play at 300-500 actions per minute...that almost 10 actions per second..i think that involves a lot of thinking..just saying..

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Starcraft pros are at the same level as chess grandmasters.
both fight with their brain, its skill and strategy over physical strength and speed

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
I think they should. Its still a measure of skill not to mention more thinking involved than most 'sports'

Grab ball, run at people, repeat

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
CaptQuakers said:
At most It could be classed as a "mind sport"
i can settle with that..their obviously not a test of strength..but it can test ones resistance besides skill..not to mention concentration..

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Take it seriously? Yes, it is hard to do well.
Is it a sport? No! Of course not! You could smoke, be fat and diabetic and do just as well at it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Why should sports be taken seriously at all?

I mean, aren't they just games, and as such should be fun?

Ok, yes, encourages people to get out more and all, but they are rather OtT at the moment, IMHO.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Damn, someone ninja'd me on NASCAR. Well the point still stands: if we can consider driving around in a circle a sport, why not have e-sports be taken seriously? Plus, the world takes "real" sports way too seriously...

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
No. E-sports are e-sports, and there's no real reason to change that. Besides, traditional sports all kind of involve real, physical activity. It's not discriminating against e-sports in any way to put them in another category, because they are different.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
No. Just no. Sports usually involve physical skill, a lot of physical skill. E-sports are more along the lines of Chess. A sport in another category.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I think it depends on whose definition of sports you're using. Personally I think a sport is something that has more physical involvement. ESPN and other sports networks, however, have long been showing things like poker and darts as sports. Not to downplay the amount of skill and practice it takes to compete in those events, but they certainly aren't contests requiring physical perfection.

If we go by ESPN's definition of sports, then there's no way esports shouldn't be considered sprots.

If we go by the definition of, I'm imagining, most sane people, then esports aren't really sports.. but darts, poker, etc. aren't either.

That said, I'm a fighting game nut and I totally agree that high level competitive play in a game can be just as exciting, interesting and demanding as any physical sport. I don't think it's a question of them being taken more or less seriously as the players who do play and spectate at that high level certainly take them seriously as it is. It's more about overall acceptance and to that I say, if poker belongs on something like ESPN then esport competitions should be as well.

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
I think it depends on whose definition of sports you're using. Personally I think a sport is something that has more physical involvement. ESPN and other sports networks, however, have long been showing things like poker and darts as sports. Not to downplay the amount of skill and practice it takes to compete in those events, but they certainly aren't contests requiring physical perfection.

If we go by ESPN's definition of sports, then there's no way esports shouldn't be considered sprots.

If we go by the definition of, I'm imagining, most sane people, then esports aren't really sports.. but darts, poker, etc. aren't either.

That said, I'm a fighting game nut and I totally agree that high level competitive play in a game can be just as exciting, interesting and demanding as any physical sport. I don't think it's a question of them being taken more or less seriously as the players who do play and spectate at that high level certainly take them seriously as it is. It's more about overall acceptance and to that I say, if poker belongs on something like ESPN then esport competitions should be as well.
well played..i agree with your statement..Esports should be more accepted by the general masses..so they can find more fans..fans which will take them as serious sports..or displays of skill at the very least..

Halvhir

Oct 25, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
No, sports is one of the few reasons some kids still go outside. We DO NOT want to kill that.

Also, who decides what games count as "sports" and which don't?

There is literally no reason for why Starcraft counts as a sport in South Korea rather then say, Age of Empires 2 other then that the former became way more popular.

So does popularity decide which games are sport? Well in that case does that make Wow sport? What about Half-Life 2? Or Quake?

Gamers need to stop trying to level up their virtual dicks with crap like this. Video games are not the same as real life sports, just deal with it.
These are all terrible arguments. How the hell would televised Esport events prevent kids from playing pickup soccer, or any other "real" sport?

In any case, you're missing the point. You have half of it but seem to be ignoring the other part. Yes, video games and traditional sports are inherently different, for a number of reasons. You can ignore physics in games, but gravity will never mysteriously decide not to work. Traditional sports have spacial requirements computer games do not. The question is not if you think Esports are the SAME THING as traditional sports, but whether you think that the former should be covered at the same level (nationally televised events, major company sponsorships) and given the same kind of attention (professional commentary, audience of millions, etc) as the latter.

Your Starcraft vs Age of Empires argument is moot. Why is Starcraft the RTS of choice in Korea? Why is NBA basketball played on a 94by50 foot court, with 5 men on a side, with a 10ft rim? You don't pick up a ball and immediately know the ideal way to set up a balanced court and set of rules, just like you don't sit down at a PC and instantly know which games lend themselves best to high level competition. It's a long, messy process that's undergoing constant revision. Some things lend themselves to balance and competition better than others. The short answer is yes, because it's popular. NFL football is to Starcraft what Arena football is to Age of Empires, to use a relatively-inaccurate and entirely American analogy.

Let me rip a definition of "sport" off of Wikipedia for you: A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means.

Here's what it boils down to; all sport is COMPETITION. And all competition is is a means to see who is better than who at a given activity. You can make a competition out of anything. Driving a car fast, lumberjacking, eating, snow shoveling, pencil snapping, lobbing spit balls. What turns a competition into a "sport" is precisely what you think doesn't matter; how many people are willing to play it, watch it, pay to see it, and enjoy.

dolgion

Nov 20, 2010
I think e-sports should really be taken seriously. If a game can qualify as a e-sport game is a different question. Games like StarCraft, CS are very well balanced and deserve to be played professionally and to be recognized as professional sport. I've tried playing StarCraft and WC3 competitively here, and it's a pure matter of skill, just like with any traditional sport.

If chess is recognized as a sport (a mind-sport), then these games should too. Anyway, with time e-sports will be more and more accepted anyhow, I don't see that trend stopping. The real question I think should be what makes a game eligible to be played professionally in competition?