Poll: Do you think I stand a chance?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Jinjiro said:
This thread just screams 'First World Problems' at me, and it somewhat disgusts me. Be grateful you're allowed to be educated, and have clothes on your back, for fuck's sake.
Ah, the old, "There are kids starving in India, why are you whining about having a fly in your soup?" argument.

Look, I'm a kid, in the heart of Scotland. Yeah, it's a 'First World Problem' but here's the thing, I live in the first world, there isn't much I can do about troubles in other countries, but I can at least make a stab at solving the ones right on my front doorstep. Yes, I'm educated and have clothes, but can't we aspire for a little more than that?

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
orangeban said:
Jinjiro said:
This thread just screams 'First World Problems' at me, and it somewhat disgusts me. Be grateful you're allowed to be educated, and have clothes on your back, for fuck's sake.
Ah, the old, "There are kids starving in India, why are you whining about having a fly in your soup?" argument.

Look, I'm a kid, in the heart of Scotland. Yeah, it's a 'First World Problem' but here's the thing, I live in the first world, there isn't much I can do about troubles in other countries, but I can at least make a stab at solving the ones right on my front doorstep. Yes, I'm educated and have clothes, but can't we aspire for a little more than that?
Ah, the old "Nothing I can do about problems in other countries" argument.

Take all the effort you put into this asinine "problem" and earn some money, then give that money to a charity who take it upon themselves to educate children who would otherwise not have had a chance to even learn how to read. Send old textbooks to READ International if you can't afford donations. You're making a mountain out of a molehill based on your own (mostly false and ludicrous) convictions - show some benevolence and do something for the less fortunate.

jimbob123432

Apr 8, 2011
I think the idea is interesting, but I don't think it'll work. Even if you do get the petition signed and it passes, people will probably still pick their "gender-specific" uniforms. I used to go to a private school, and I know that a lot of people can and will be dicks to anyone who is different, hence the uniforms (the put everyone on the same playing field). Women MAY pick pants, but that'll probably be the only change. Trust me, there won't be any guy who'll put on a skirt, no matter what his/her personally feelings are. Unless an overwhelming percentage of the school is TG/TS/2S, no one will risk the bullying. I went to a very politically-correct high school (the PTA tried to ban Holocaust & American History classes lest people be offended by the subject matter) and I was still bullied for liking interior design shows and science by the jocks.

jimbob123432

Apr 8, 2011
Jinjiro said:
orangeban said:
Jinjiro said:

Ah, the old "Nothing I can do about problems in other countries" argument.

Take all the effort you put into this asinine "problem" and earn some money, then give that money to a charity who take it upon themselves to educate children who would otherwise not have had a chance to even learn how to read. Send old textbooks to READ International if you can't afford donations. You're making a mountain out of a molehill based on your own (mostly false and ludicrous) convictions - show some benevolence and do something for the less fortunate.
Ah, the old "I know better than you/I can't do anything" argument.

Seriously, does it matter if you can't do something or if you think someone SHOULD be doing something?

orangeban: 1 person can do something. I don't want to sound preachy or downplay what you're intending to do, but it's true. I raised $900 towards buying goats for people in Afghanistan a few years back. It's hard work, but it can be done.

Jinjiro: If you think orangeban is complaining about stupid things, why are you here? Seriously, don't go provoking people by downplaying what they consider to be important by shoving your own morals in their face. Also, I'm a firm believer in "Fix your own home first before you go somewhere else". I live in Canada, a country bereft with social problems. While I don't condemn people for wanting to help other countries nor do I believe in not sending aid to places that need it, but I think problems in your own country need to be addressed with the same urgency as other country's issues. Finally, you're telling orangeban to "show some benevolence" in the same breath as calling their beliefs "false and ludicrous". The hypocrisy in your statement is outstanding.

EDIT: How is it OUR problem that kids in other countries can't read? Did we (our generation, not our ancestors) screw up their political/economic/education systems? Your statement seems to be blaming orangeban personally for the issue. I feel the same way about people who get mad at people of this generation about slavery. I'm not a Christian, but I do believe in "the sins of the father shall not be visited upon the son". We should help, but it's not our Goddamn fault!

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
jimbob123432 said:
Jinjiro said:
orangeban said:
Jinjiro said:
snippery
snip snip sneroo

Jinjiro: If you think orangeban is complaining about stupid things, why are you here? Seriously, don't go provoking people by downplaying what they consider to be important by shoving your own morals in their face. Also, I'm a firm believer in "Fix your own home first before you go somewhere else". I live in Canada, a country bereft with social problems. While I don't condemn people for wanting to help other countries nor do I believe in not sending aid to places that need it, but I think problems in your own country need to be addressed with the same urgency as other country's issues. Finally, you're telling orangeban to "show some benevolence" in the same breath as calling their beliefs "false and ludicrous". The hypocrisy in your statement is outstanding.

EDIT: How is it OUR problem that kids in other countries can't read? Did we (our generation, not our ancestors) screw up their political/economic/education systems? Your statement seems to be blaming orangeban personally for the issue. I feel the same way about people who get mad at people of this generation about slavery. I'm not a Christian, but I do believe in "the sins of the father shall not be visited upon the son". We should help, but it's not our Goddamn fault!
If the gender-neutralizing of uniforms was ACTUALLY an issue, I'd have more sympathy. Your rant about hypocrisy and my apparent accusatory tone is pretty helpful, though...

As far as I'm concerned, you both need some perspective - I'm not blaming anyone for problems, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't help the less fortunate, especially at this time of year when most of the first world will be indulging themselves. If the OP is near the poverty line, then fine - but the whole thing reeks of bored middle-class political correctness snobbery, and I for one am pretty sick of that crap being allowed to run rampant.

P.S. There are charities that deal with problems closer to home, as well, if you don't feel like the socio-economic problems of the Third World are your concern. Toodle pip.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
There is no poll option for "I hope not".

The whole issue is stupid. Your points are designed to mislead the school from your real objective, and your plan helps no one.

1. Your assumption that the differences between the sexes is a societal implication and not a natural one. Pro-tip: It's not. There are actual differences between the sexes, and more than just the physical. Society has simply exagerated what existed naturally.

2. Gender-neutral is code for " I don't like the way I've been treated as male/female, so I want everyone to ignore my sex and everyone else's, because I can't cope with myself". Gender-neutral also speaks to ignorance about my first point.

3. As outlined, your prefered action is that you are allowed to dress as a girl. Presumably, because you "feel like one". While I don't believe in the majority of the idea of "transgendered", I think if you want to dress that way, you should be allowed to. But your plan is not going to result in your desired outcome, but rather an intentional ignoring that is inflicted on everyone around you. Congrats, you've forced your will on everyone else, and won nothing.

The only realistic solution, at least one where you aren't screwing everyone else in your school while trying to accomplish your own goals, is to eliminate the dress code. Which opens your classmates and yourself to dress how you want, which ( unless abused) would benefit everyone.

This is why I hate some activists and protestors. Minority or not, they are willing to ruin everyone else's day, just to be annoying. Because ( as is this case in this situation) it's not about getting something productive done, it's not about being heard, it's not about being fair. . . It's about winning. . .even if they don't win anything.