Poll: Do you think it's rude to text in movie theaters?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I think it is, once I had a iphone user in front with max brightness on and it annoyed the hell out of me!

Dear texters: Please stop doing this - Regards Everyone!

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
You're paying how much these days to see a film and someone can't go 90 minutes without resisting the urge to make contact with someone? Can't they wait until the film is over?

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
As long as it isn't constant and the sound is off I don't mind. Taking a call however, now that's annoying.

dexxyoto

Mar 24, 2009
I am on call 24, 300ish days (yes i know 365.25 days in a year) and i do not answer my texts in a theater.....but i also do not remember the last time i saw a movie.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
i think it's rude to go to the movie theater when Netflix is sitting in your house, with far more movies per $8.99US than the theater can muster, in a far more comfortable setting, where no one cares if you talk, and the popcorn and soda is $1.99, not $10. Similarly, it doesn't have to be pitch dark if you want it to, and no one thinks it TOO odd if the rules of your own personal theater are 'and you get hit with a tennis ball if you text disruptively.' But WTF do I know?

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
TiefBlau said:
IronicBeet said:
As long as there's no sound and you're not letting the light shine in other people's faces or laughing at the texts you're reading, knock yourself out.
Yes, this.

But I chose cheeseburger anyways.
UberNoodle said:
It's sad that this thread exists. There's no empathy anymore. The 'Me-I-my' generation have taken over.
Yes, look at all these kids. Not a shred of consideration for whose lawn they're on.

And no one greets me at Wal-mart anymore. Bring back Mom and Pop Stores.
Yes, that was a very witty retort to what was clearly my own throwaway hyperbole. Yet I would like to grant you the credit which you did not grant me, and assume that you aren't just a smart-arse trying to win points with easy sarcasm, just as I am not a clueless simpleton. If you are interested in intelligent discourse about issues of social disconnection and how that is affecting society today, feel free to respond.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
BrionJames said:
UberNoodle said:
It's sad that this thread exists. There's no empathy anymore. The 'Me-I-my' generation have taken over.
There's a difference between being selfish and having some respect and politeness to your fellow constituents, who do you think is being more selfish the guy texting distracting other people from the one time experience they paid for or the person who finally tells him to turn his damn phone off.
If a person is partaking in an act disallowed in a particular context and it affects others, then it is certainly not a selfish act to ask that the person stop. If that person is clueless as to why others are upset, it is certainly a lack of empathy.

We humans do right by others and obey rules trully because we fear rebuke, punishment or ill-consequence. We like to think that we do so because we are 'nice people', and there is certainly that layer of rationale on top, but underneath, we are in it for ourselves. Generally, people are more remorseful about the prospect of punishment after being caught, than they are about how their actions affected others.

A large part of this is a problem of ever widening social disconnect. In the past, and for many cultures that is a long ago past, small tight knit communities self policed and regulated public behaviour and interactions. Today, we can go through a week without seeing anybody we know, and many of them live in the same neighbourhood. So what's the consequence of bad behaviour, then? The only consequences worth thinking about are those that can get you arrested or official rebuke, otherwise, "whatcha gonna do about it, asshole, hit me?".

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
bahumat42 said:
UberNoodle said:
Im not sure which side of the argument you air on :S
is it us who are wrong for them ruining "my movie"
or is it them who are wrong for "my texts" (their texts) being more important than everyone else.

Confusing quote is confusing.

Anyway it is rude, common decency is to let people enjoy things they have paid for without incorruptions. Same reason loud people get chucked out of restaurants.
My apologies. Please see my previous post above.

Btw, cool avatar. What is it?

Thincrust

Sep 2, 2010
At my theater we do our best to make sure guests aren't talking or texting on their phones. Only advice I can give is to try asking them nicely to please put it away because it's distracting you. If they don't listen by all means come out and let us know. Sometimes we can only be in so many places and if we don't know we can't stop it :).

Some places you may be asked to leave without a refund for using a device that can be distracting as it could be against the code of conduct rules put in place.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
It bothers me, yeah. Not the noise the screen, and the fact that those who are texting in a movie theatre usually don't really want to be there. I only go to movies when I really want to see it so such a thing is frustrating.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
UberNoodle said:
Yes, that was a very witty retort to what was clearly my own throwaway hyperbole.
Clear perhaps to yourself.

And judging by the responses to said post, I think it's safe to say that it's clear only to yourself.

Maybe the other users didn't pick up on your clarity. Maybe you were trying to use clear to mean transparent and by extension invisible. The world may never know.
UberNoodle said:
Yet I would like to grant you the credit which you did not grant me, and assume that you aren't just a smart-arse trying to win points with easy sarcasm, just as I am not a clueless simpleton.
Clueless simpleton? Why, I never! Passive-aggressive enough to attempt to take the high road by saying you assume the exact opposite of what you actually insinuate? Probably.

Oh dear. Looks like I can pretend to be high-brow too. Guess I have to pretend to be a sociologist now.
UberNoodle said:
If you are interested in intelligent discourse about issues of social disconnection and how that is affecting society today, feel free to respond.
I'd respond, but I guarantee that if I'm going to be very disappointed if I expect intelligent discourse from someone whose ego is so fragile that the slightest taste of snideness becomes an outright accusation of being a "clueless simpleton".

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
It's fucking annoying.

I don't want to see a small little irritating bright light just out of the corner of my eye while I'm watching a movie in the cinema.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
cursedseishi said:
Inkidu said:
They ask you to turn you cell phones off for a reason in most theaters. If you're too stupid or too unwilling I don't want to know you, and if you're too busy, why are you watching a movie?
Or, just maybe, the person has a loved one with a condition, and wants to make sure they are able to be reached at any time, which means leaving the cell phone ON. But hey, its not your family so what would you care, they're just an unwilling idiot who should be chained to their house.

I leave my cell phone on when I enter a movie theater in case something happens with a sibling of mine, and I need to be reached.
I also sit in the far back usually, with my phone on silent, so if I do ever end up having to text it won't bother others.
Well, they obviously love the movie more than their loved one. "Hey sorry you're dying of kidney cancer, but I've been doing the whole vigil thing so I'm just going to kip out to catch the newest Twilight movie. Cool? Cool." That's an over-exaggeration obviously, but if your relative is dying, you shouldn't be in a theater.

Are you the only one who can look after your siblings? Aren't there other people in your family. If not they're not that dependent on you because you're in a movie theater. We have this wonderful thing called 911. It's short simple and easy to remember. So if you've got such a big responsibility adult up and cut the luxury.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
If you can do it in such a way that everyone around you would be oblivious than yes, but why ruin your movie experience ..it's so expensive x.x.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I don't like people texting in the movies. I find it rude and if it is such a pressing issue that you are texting about, then why on earth are you watching a film? They ask you to switch your phone off for a reason you know. Some people are going to be bothered with another person texting and it's not right when your selfishness ruins another persons enjoyment of a film.

mcattack92

Feb 2, 2011
I do think that texting during any sort of sitting is very rude. My step sister (who is 21) was constantly texting 'the boyfriend' all during her sister's wedding which I thought was very inconsiderate.

SimpleChimp

Jun 11, 2009
If you have the ability to dim the screen so it isn't that bright bluish light, then i dont see why any one should care. For the most part i sit in the back of the theatre and dim the screen on my phone. Then if i do get a text i check it by my leg or lower and read what it says. that way i can check my messages with out distracting the other patrons