Poll: Do You Think The End Is Upon Us? (12/21/12)

Commerford

Aug 21, 2011
Marter said:
Without a doubt, yes. I mean, it would be logically wrong to assume the world would keep going, right? =D
I can't tell if you making an obscure joke or just worded your sentence incorrectly (to a philosopher). But logically it would be wrong to consider the world would not end, this is a common problem brought up by philosophers known as the problem of induction. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/induction-problem/

Fortunately scientists ignore this problem, and scientifically there is no reason to think the world would end.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
To date every 'End of World' prediction has been wrong,so I'm not worried.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Commerford said:
I can't tell if you making an obscure joke or just worded your sentence incorrectly (to a philosopher). But logically it would be wrong to consider the world would not end, this is a common problem brought up by philosophers known as the problem of induction. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/induction-problem/

Fortunately scientists ignore this problem, and scientifically there is no reason to think the world would end.
Yeah, it's a joke. That's why I italicized the word "logically."

I guess it still didn't come through that well in text. Oh well!

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
You can't say the world won't end on Dec 21st, 2012. There are more nasty things in the universe than we can count that could, without warning, extinguish our brief existence with nothing more than an unheard whimper. All we can say for certain is the world isn't any more likely to end than on any other day.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Look at human history. For pretty much the entirety of human history there as has been someone somewhere saying the world will end soon. The dates come and the world goes on. Just something weird in the human mind that latches on to the idea that the would will end in your lifetime.

Commerford

Aug 21, 2011
Marter said:
Yeah, it's a joke. That's why I italicized the word "logically."

I guess it still didn't come through that well in text. Oh well!
No worries! I originally thought it was a joke but was then curious, I thought maybe you anticipated the amount of people who would say
kasperbbs said:
It won't, because it's stupid to think so for many obvious reasons.
and were well versed in philosophical problems.

For clarification, to those dismissing this end of the world as fallacy, it is logically wrong to think the world wont end at any second. Though, that has nothing to do with Mayans.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
All I know is that I'll be out at a high school reunion that night drinking. If the world ends, c'est la vie.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Put it this way:

Let's assume the Mayan calendar DID predict the end of the world.

Let's also assume the Mayans wrote nothing on how the world would end at that time (if someone can locate evidence that the Mayans DID believe it was the end of the world, and wrote down the wrath of whatever for that day, please let me know).

Assuming no religious crossover (that would be an affront to most religions anyways), we can disregard demons eating the planet, or the awakening of Cthulhu, or anything of the kind.

This leaves us with the assumption that the world would end from a natural cataclysm.

So let's see here:

Have astronomers predicted a passing asteroid/any other astronomical danger that day?

Is the LHC going to open a black hole?

Will we manage a Verneshot?

Are the world's nations on the verge of nuclear war?

These are the only ways I can think of off the top of my head that would end the world. Since it's ridiculously hard to hide stuff from the public nowadays (remember, "There's Water On The Moon" was leaked by Twitter, of all things), we can assume that verge of war/astronomical disaster wouldn't be properly under wraps, so unless it's been leaked while I wasn't looking, we can rule those out. The LHC shouldn't be opening any black holes any time soon, seeing how we've already done the more dangerous experiments, so we'll disregard that.

That leaves us with Verneshot, which is a supervolcano going off so hard that it launches a huge chunk of earth into near-orbit. The only supervolcano that is scheduled to go off any time soon is Yellowstone, which quite frankly isn't strong enough to cause a Verneshot. It would hurt the US and Canada badly, but it wouldn't be world-ending.

So no, I don't think the end is nigh.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Not at all, people who believe in that must have a screw or two loose up there, I think. Still going out for the crazy party, though.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Didn't they figure out that because the Mayans didn't account for leap-year therefor the actual doomsday prediction should have been for a day roughly 18 months ago?

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Well, I can blow a hole in the end of the world theory right now. The Leap year... It wasn't invented until 45BC (By Julius Caesar), now, there have been 514 leap years since it was created and of course the Mayan calendar couldn't account for that, so if we didn't have the extra days in the year, we'd already be in 2013, so the world should have ended months ago.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
The Mayan calendar is cyclical and the Mayan religion is all about rebirth and replenishment especially in regards to the spheres of the universe as governed by the world tree. The people who started 2012 are just idiots and haven't studied Mayan archaeology.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
DoPo said:
And here it is: the world will either end or not. It is a 50/50 chance. All the sources agree.
Someone's probably called you out on it already, but having only two possible outcomes does not mean that both outcomes are equally likely. If all evidence points to Dec-21 being no more extraordinary than any other day, and every other day has fallen on the "world didn't end" side of the coin, it's statistically far more likely the world will go on than end, meaning the odds aren't 50/50 (implies equal probability).

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
I bet some one trips over the power cord to the computer running this simulation.

"Hyperion suggests that you do not think about the fact that this is only a digital reconstruction of your original body, which died the first time you respawned. Do NOT think about this!"

I'm gona go with a gamma ray burst.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Rowan93 said:
Nobody with enough intelligence to operate a computer and an open enough mind to visit forums not dedicated to their own specific brand of crazy actually believes this, so it's a bit of a pointless question.
Ya... I'm pretty sure that even the people who voted yes don't believe in this stuff fully. Maybe they believe that something big might happen but if they truly believed that the world was going to end, they'd be spending their last days living life to its fullest, not being on a video game forum.

If I believed that the world was going to end, I'd probably blow all of my money on awesome stuff and just do whatever I wanted in general. Actually, that's a lie. I'd probably become incredibly depressed and spend the rest of my time with my family.