Poll: Do you think this is sexist?

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
The problem is not the sexism, but the fact that you corrected her on such a meaningless term almost on the spot from what I gathered.

If you said "Cool, as long as the landlady is fine with this, I will get started tomorrow" would have been much better then "Oh, you mean landylady" on the spot.

People don't like be put on the spot and being corrected on something that at the end of the day will change anything.

Jan 29, 2009
Mostly no, except "Ma'am" in authoritative positions. Ma'am has a negative connotation of sexist regard, referring to a traditionally-ladylike figure. I've known a couple people who prefer the term "sir".

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
KaiserKnight said:
Because the point was made that you were sexist, and right now you are digging yourself in a hole. It really seems like you came here to prove a point that you weren't sexist, the plan is backfiring and you are getting quite annoyed with the fact that not many are agreeing with you and those disagreeing are proving you wrong. To prove this I just had four people read your main post and this little segment I just quoted. You are being ignorant. You had the misapprehension that a landlord MUST only be a man so when a female name was given then a gender that you thought not possible you reacted badly. Besides landlord, what ELSE did your neighbor say or do to prove it MIGHT have been a male? Ask for a manager, get a female, ask for a manager again, female says she is the manager, look dumbstruck. Same thing with landlord. Hell the bloody definition was given to you RIGHT THERE.
Someone's getting a little bent out of shape.

When was the last time you heard someone call a female politician a congressman? "And here's Congressman Brittany ______?" No. He's not being sexist, and anybody who is going to try and argue that his simple misunderstanding that a masculine title meant it was a man is ridiculous. We have Congressmen and Congresswomen, Landlords and Landladies, if you call a woman a landlord, you're using the incorrect term. You can try and argue that it shouldn't matter if a woman is called a landlord all you want, and at the end of the day it really doesn't, but then why're you arguing?

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I think of landlord like actor. It applies to each gender. If you want to be technical, then you can say landlady and actress respectively, but I really don't think anyone should bring sexism into this equation. It's not a good idea to cry sexism at every slightest gender ambiguous term.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Ive realised that its no longer acceptable to use men to mean man and woman as in policemen was always both genders to me

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I think what's stupid is the fact that this is bothering people. It honestly doesn't really matter. I said that it isn't sexist, because I agree that it purveys useful information. I probably wouldn't have corrected her (tact) but whatevs.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i think it's only sexist if you use it as such. i think sexism isn't as prevalent as some would have us believe. at least in this country. Yes there are double standards and i'm not defending that, but we will have double standards for as long as there are standards, regardless of whether they are based on gender, race, or whatever. If you used it as a way of saying a woman is a landlady which is inferior to a landlord, then yes it is sexist. If you're saying landlady as a grammatical correction you're being a grammar nazi but you're aren't being sexist.

it is stereotyping people named Chloe though. assuming everyone named Chloe is a woman, for shame.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I generally don't like gender nominative words, mostly because they serve no point. Christian Bale, Anne Hatheway, Johnny Depp and Gwyneth Paltrow all act. Their gender is irrelevant to their profession or skills. More importantly to me, a good deal of these terms were created to imply male dominance. Women cannot be actors or stewards, but they can become a close female equivalent. Especially a term like landlord, where in modern times a lord is looked upon regally while a lady is just another word for a woman. It implies a lack of equality in our culture. Find me a career where a person's gender or sex matter and then we can talk about using gender-nominatives.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Maybe not sexist, but you were certainly being rude and pedantic.

Nobody likes having their speech corrected with a fine-tooth comb.
I'll go with that... I think you just had a case of open mouth insert foot, it was an unnecessary addition to the conversation and it got awkward fast.

I guess, in a sterile way it's grammatically correct but... who nit picks like that...

Sep 14, 2009
anthony87 said:
Normally I would say "No".

However, the way you pretty much "corrected" your neighbour could be seen as sexist.
basically this.

not gonna lie it's annoying as hell when people do that, especially in a "know it all" fashion.

OT: Don't really care, do you see male nurses being called something else? no, then who gives a flying fuck.

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
People made gender nominative terms so that women were viewed as equal to men in the first place. There was an article here (Australia) earlier this year I think, about people always using the male version when referencing both males and females ie. "She's a policeman". So no you weren't being sexist, however depending on the way you say it, it has the capability to come over as sexist.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
I dont think its sexist in the slightest, especially seeing landlady is the correct term.

Now what i do think is stupid and unecessary is the fact that there are gender-specific names for certain professions (actor/actress, waiter/waitress, landlord/landlady, etc) yet there arent for most things (doctor, dentist, etc). There should either be a gender-specific term for all of them or none of them.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
It isn't sexist, just another way to say the same thing essentially. So really it shouldn't matter what term you are using, unless you mix up Mr. and Mrs./Ms. or something like that. Thats a different story.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Xiado said:
Marmooset said:
If you have to ask, deep down you know.
Anti-intellectual bullshit. Asking a question and debating it is the basis of modern reason and logic.
Heh-heh-heh.
If only you understood the response.
I guess this is further proof that being an intellectual and being intelligent are two different things.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
Maybe just a little, but my opinion is rather irrelevent, because I'm just smirking to myself thinking about being a "policeman officer"