Poll: Do you think you're more intelligent than the average person? (Be honest)

Josh Hibbard

Jul 7, 2011
Above what I consider average, without a doubt. What is actually average I still think so. I am able to understand most concepts that are presented before me, and able to prove I understand the concept with just one conversation. Grade-wise I have been around top 25% in my graduating class. While that's not extraordinary, it would still indicate above average.

I will admit I have faults in my intelligence, but in many ways I find myself well above the norm.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
I would say somewhere just above average. Only a small bit though, and I tend to be very absent minded.

Haha. 89% of us are above average. Of course, that may be as much of a reflection on the Escapist community's actual intelligence as their arrogance. I've seen far more intelligent, reasonable people here than trolls and scumbags, of which there have only been a few. And even the trolls seem to be more intelligent than the trolls I've encountered on certain other sites.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
After spending the last 2 years heavily on the internet, I don't have much hope for the intelligence of society.
When people think that a Visa will be read by a cd player, the Earth is doomed.

uristits

Nov 1, 2011
When I was young, I believe 2nd grade, I was in a magnet school, and they made me do some tests,
and my I.Q. was 163. As zhoominator said earlier in the thread, intelligence is basically just your ability to learn skills, and really, just your ability to learn anything. This is way more broad and wide reaching than just school subjects, but things such as social skills, skateboarding, parkour, shooting, driving, literally almost any action. Whenever you see someone who was popular in school, you can be almost certain they were exceptionally intelligent, they just studied the social game. And then, when you think about it, intelligence is just your ability to adapt.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
My long-term and medium memory is outstanding, but I do struggle in math and short-term memory for some things. My IQ score (which I think isn't that accurate) is in the genius levels, but because of my short comings, I wouldn't put myself at that level.

I guess I'm above average at different levels.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Based on most people I come across (real-life and internet) I usually seem to at least think faster than most of them. Its probably because I seem to be more logically thinking than many people.

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
Below average. Intelligence is my IRL dump stat. As is Charisma, Strength, Dexterity, Vigour, and pretty much any other stat I have. If you can tell me where I put them, I will be forever in your debt.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Although I hate to admit it, yes, and by a pretty large margin.

I have never struggled with any exam or test in my life, and even taken them without an ounce of revision and passed well above average. I had my IQ tested and I have 137. There is one major problem with it though, and that is I do know it, so I never try like I should, as I know I wont need to.

It causes me to reach the ironic conclusion that while I am very intelligent, I am not smart. The smart thing to do would be to utilize my brains, instead of wallow in above average mediocrity. Oh well, lazy is as lazy does

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I don't consider myself to be any more intelligent than the average person. However, I do retain a lot of knowledge that I have accumulated throughout my life and only continue to learn more things about the world. I am always assertive and focused on any source that I am currently on and my intellectual curiosity is still intact.

So yeah, I just enjoy learning and trying new things.

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
Traditional fluid intelligence? Tests say above average.
Emotional intelligence? Well below average.

In terms of the amount of knowledge I possess? Well above average.
Sorry, can't answer the poll itself.

However, I am constantly gnawed by doubt over whether or not I am actually stupid. Look up the Dunning-Krueger effect, I could just as easily be completely retarded and merely think I am above average in terms of intelligence.
I honestly can't assess that myself, not in an unbiased way anyway. So here I'm relying on tests, which say that in terms of fluid intelligence, I am above average, in terms of emotional intelligence I should be wearing a retard cap and the third one - amount of knowledge - is just a self-assessment, based on observing myself and various other people of various social backgrounds and countries of origin over an extended period of time. Could be entirely wrong on all accounts, though.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Ahahaha, I clicked it thinking it'll be above 90% and 90.1% think they're above average.

May as well admit I do too. I can't help but feel like the vast majority of people I meet are only interested in making ends meet and don't have the balls to take a risk and try for something better using what they know, no matter what it is.

Anyway, I'll base my intelligence based on general knowledge of little useless facts, because i'm cool like that.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
I'll be honest, probably below average. I have good thinking and problem solving skills, but I only have a grade 8 education, so I'm basically the equivalent of a retarded chipmunk crossed with a half-dead, boozed up hobo.

I don't view intelligence as something about solving math problems or complicated science, I view it more as how you use your mind. Anybody can be a genius, but then again everybody can be an idiot, too.

megarik

Feb 2, 2011
I know that I have an IQ of 138 witch is above averege and most people I meet say I'm smart, so yea I think I am above average

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
FalloutJack said:
So then, while education is not necessarily intelligence, I feel that they must be inexorably linked, for a greater understanding of the world and how to react to it each and every day is important in society. But let's get off of that. You want to peek into my brains for how well I think, not WHAT I think.

Here is the short answer: I have Aspergers. The way I see the world is, guaranteed, going to be at some pretty odd angles from the norm at times. That's why we are diagnosed as we are. Our perceptions simply differ. As yu can see, though, I am that version which interacts with the world decently enough. My difference in thought allows me to come to new and innovative conclusions at times. Different perceptions, different process of thought, and so different reactions as well.

Here is one example of intelligence that I use that most people do not: I learn from your mistakes. I avoid the mishaps of other people so as to minimize the mistakes I DO make.
Yeah, I do that too. Well, I didn't before, when I was younger, but I've learned OTHERWISE since then.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
TheVioletBandit said:
Personally, I scored in the top 1% in the world in every discipline imaginable when last tested, attend both Harvard and Yale, and scored 11 zillion on the last IQ test I took. Furthermore, I have a 20 inch penis, a beautiful singing voice, and the power to move through time and space at near the speed of light.
You too?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
You need to have an average category on here too, most people are gonna pick above when given the choice between above and below. For the most part people think they are a lot smarter than they actually are. In reality most people are very smart, in a certain field, they spend most of their time in these fields because they like them and they feel smart in them. Am I above average? Yes, in some places. Am I also below average? Most definitely, there are plenty of things I have little knowledge on. Judging intelligence on an overall basis is very hard to do and it could easily be argued that most of the test that try to give you a general I.Q. score are very flawed, plenty of genius level thinkers have completely bombed such tests.