Poll: Do You Use the Word "Gay" as an Insult?

Tanto-chan

Nov 9, 2009
I use it rarely, to those who are either afraid or unaccepting of gay people, and when I do use it I always say "That's gay, and not in the good way." Since I'm totally pro gay people.
I mean love is love right?

Feb 13, 2008
Straight from wiki

The term gay was originally used to refer to feelings of being "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy"; it had also come to acquire some connotations of "immorality" as early as 1637.

The term's use as a reference to homosexuality may date as early as the late 19th century, but its use gradually increased in the 20th century. In modern English, gay has come to be used as an adjective, and occasionally as a noun, referring to the people, practices, and culture associated with homosexuality. By the end of the 20th century, the word gay was recommended by major style guides to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. At about the same time, a new, pejorative use became prevalent in some parts of the world. In the Anglosphere, this connotation, among younger speakers, has a derisive meaning equivalent to rubbish or stupid (as in "That's so gay."). In this use the word does not mean "homosexual", so it can be used, for example, to refer to an inanimate object or abstract concept of which one disapproves. This usage can also refer to weakness or unmanliness. When used in this way, the extent to which it still retains connotations of homosexuality has been debated.
Equally as the word "camp" doesn't mean gay or homosexual, "phat" doesn't mean calorifically enhanced and "wicked" doesn't mean bad - gay has a number of meanings usually dependent on the context of the sentence it's used in - and in the company it keeps.

Straight, or "breeder" can be used as insults (the latter especially) but it's not an insulting word in itself.

Of course, people who wish to be homophobic can use it as homophobia in the same context as using it for "happy" or "rubbish" or "immoral", but that doesn't make it homophobic any more than calling something black makes it racist.

Otherwise, the American rubbish pile is remarkably promiscuous in England. ("Slag heap")

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
This_ends_now said:
Daystar Clarion said:
This_ends_now said:
Daystar Clarion said:
No. I'm not inbred.
I fail to see the correlation, good sir.
Then you're the only one.
Not entirely sure I am.
Inbred = white trash, white trash = dumb/ignorant as hell.
Seriously? Inbred does not mean white trash. Inbred means that your family tree has few branches, as it were. Race, and life condition, aren't necessarily linked. I guess I"m just objective because we have a thread about, to an extent, breaking stereo types, and here you are making a very silly and needless one.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Haven't used that as an insult since I was like 9 and realized it was a dumb insult...

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Grayjack said:
I'm guilty of saying it a few times. I know I shouldn't, but it just slips out.
That's what she said, oh snap! Sorry, I couldn't resist... [sub]That's what she said! Help me... I can't sto - That's what she said! Noooooo![/sub]
Aw damn it. I need to watch my wording.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
I use gay as an insult when the occasion calls for it, namely when a heterosexual male acts or makes comments in such a way as to suggest that he is a homosexual. I also play the "Know How I Know You're Game" with my friends.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Straight from wiki

The term gay was originally used to refer to feelings of being "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy"; it had also come to acquire some connotations of "immorality" as early as 1637.

The term's use as a reference to homosexuality may date as early as the late 19th century, but its use gradually increased in the 20th century. In modern English, gay has come to be used as an adjective, and occasionally as a noun, referring to the people, practices, and culture associated with homosexuality. By the end of the 20th century, the word gay was recommended by major style guides to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. At about the same time, a new, pejorative use became prevalent in some parts of the world. In the Anglosphere, this connotation, among younger speakers, has a derisive meaning equivalent to rubbish or stupid (as in "That's so gay."). In this use the word does not mean "homosexual", so it can be used, for example, to refer to an inanimate object or abstract concept of which one disapproves. This usage can also refer to weakness or unmanliness. When used in this way, the extent to which it still retains connotations of homosexuality has been debated.
Equally as the word "camp" doesn't mean gay or homosexual, "phat" doesn't mean calorifically enhanced and "wicked" doesn't mean bad - gay has a number of meanings usually dependent on the context of the sentence it's used in - and in the company it keeps.

Straight, or "breeder" can be used as insults (the latter especially) but it's not an insulting word in itself.

Of course, people who wish to be homophobic can use it as homophobia in the same context as using it for "happy" or "rubbish" or "immoral", but that doesn't make it homophobic any more than calling something black makes it racist.

Otherwise, the American rubbish pile is remarkably promiscuous in England. ("Slag heap")
This would all be well and good if 'gay' were only used to describe a specific quality. For example, if someone is rather flamboyant, you could perhaps say they were 'all gay and stuff'. You are trying to describe an aspect of something.

But the real issue is people using it in the pejorative. That is, as a catch all negative phrase. That isn't just describe a Market by its Color. It isn't simply using a word that happens to mean something else. It is explicitly attributing negative connotations to a phrase or word, that otherwise would have none.

vociferocity

Jan 1, 2010
Uhhh, nope. I have to say, I get pretty offended when people use "gay" as an insult around me, so I don't see why I'd ever use it as one.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I don't use it to insult people. Sometimes I say "that's gay" or something like that if I'm playing a game and I get frustrated.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
No, it's been pretty much removed from my vocabulary in regards to insults. I have a lot of support for the gay community. Stopped using it as an insult around 6th or 7th grade once I actually realized how stupid it sounded using it as an insult.

DistinctlyBenign

Dec 24, 2008
All the time.

And I'm bi! So whatever. Hata's gonna hate. I still say 'gay' to refer to things I dislike. 'Fag' does well in a pinch too.

Actualy, most of my conversations with my friends are just a string of the phrases 'fag' 'gay' and 'your mother'. And the rest of my friends are straight and male. I take no offense to this.

Its just that the words seem so far removed. Its like 'fag' and 'gay' seem to have the same meanings as 'bad' and 'stupid' to me anymore. I don't use the word thinking 'homosexual'. I use the word thinking 'stupid'.

I really don't care if anyone takes offense to me using the words. See second paragraph.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Serenegoose said:
This is pretty much my response to anybody who thinks it's an appropriate insult.

Being a only very very slightly bi-leaning-mostly-gay-woman, I don't see why I'd use it as an insult.
You wouldn't. Straight males use it in a heavily straight male environment as a term to attack another straight male's masculinity. It's part of the rhetoric of the constant straight male struggle of establishing a pecking order where the top of the heap bullies the bottom feeders.

Yes, it's completely and totally stupid. As a straight male, I find it to be an utterly retarded and backwards providence that serves no purpose other than to boost or crumble a person's ego. I'm also one of the "bottom feeders", so take that as you will.
And yet you use "retarded" in your post. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, I just found it a little hypocritical.

DistinctlyBenign

Dec 24, 2008
I would also like to bring attention to South Park season 12, episode 12, 'The F Word [http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e12-the-f-word]', which basically addresses this exact issue. (They use 'Fag' but same thing.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
i tend to use retarded, which i am told is equally insulting. it does make more sense in context though.

Feb 13, 2008
Zechnophobe said:
But the real issue is people using it in the pejorative. That is, as a catch all negative phrase. That isn't just describe a Market by its Color. It isn't simply using a word that happens to mean something else. It is explicitly attributing negative connotations to a phrase or word, that otherwise would have none.
Which is different to it's original meaning, which meant a catch-all word for happy/light.

"We. Are. Here. to make you feel gay, so give us a cheer with a hey-hey-hey" - It Ain't 'Alf Hot Mum.
"We'll have a gay old time" - Last line of the Flintstones.

Equally, wicked meaning a catch all term for good - reversing it's original expression.

or cool - originally meaning not warm - now means excellent.

***** - female dog - now means the feminine equivalent of a Bastard - which is now a male of dubious morals, rather than an unmarried couples child.

The problem about giving these words the ability to hurt people is that it gives them power. I doubt that Grammar Nazis want to kill Jewish Punctuation, do you?
Or that when you're acting mad, that you're suffering from crippling mental delusions?
or that your conservative estimates, going into labour or making a liberal decision details your political leanings.

Words mean what they say, not what others think they say.