Poll: Do you use your console for things other than gaming?

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
I use my PS3 to watch movies (netflix, AVI's [on occasion], blu-ray, etc) and my computer to do absolutely everything else.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
I use the browser on my PS3 to look at things online. Things I probably shouldn't go into here...

I also occasionally watch DVDs/downloaded movies on it, so yeah.

android88

Jul 21, 2011
Playing DVD's was my primary reason for buying a PS3. I still use it for games mostly, but if someone is watching something I don't want to watch, I can play a DVD in the comfort of my room.

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
Games and streaming Video from netflix, most everything else I do on my computer because it runs on my same bigscreen with a wireless desktop.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I use the ps3 to watch Blu*rays. That's it other than playing games. I hope the next gen steps away from trying to make my console a computer.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Xbox gets used as a DVD player fairly regularly. Actually buying a DVD player seems silly when the console does it anyway.
Keep meaning to set up sky player on it. Not sure that using my parents' sky TV subscription in any way when I live on the other side of the country is cool, but they don't seem to mind.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Besides games, I generally use my PS3 for playing DVDs, Blu-Ray, and even CDs on occasion. In fact, my PS3 is the only DVD player in the house, which comes with the added benefit of my having complete control over what movies get played here. My dad barely understands how to turn the PS3 on, much less navigate through its menus with the controller, so he needs me there and willing to help in operating the console. Thinking on it now, this is a power I should probably exercise a lot more often than I do, whether just for the lulz or to preserve my sanity from my dad's stupid movies.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I use my PS3 for dvds, RTE player, talking to friends and I use it for the internet sometimes but not as much now that I have a laptop.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Neuromaster said:
My question was inspired by someone's thread asking if they should pick up a PS3 following the recent price-drop. Literally every recommendation in the thread was based on available/upcoming games and exclusives. I know that's often considered the primary function of a console, but I was surprised that no-one mentioned the other capabilities of consoles.

Depending on your brand, they can be DVD/Blu-ray players, internet/youtube terminals for your TV, or Netflix platforms. You can stream media to them from your computer, or you can buy/rent it through the console networks, or get it on demand. Oh and yeah, they do games too.

How do other people here use their consoles? Is it the vast majority games, or do you make 'em do other tricks too? To what extent did non-gaming capabilities of a console influence your decision to buy/not buy it?

Edit: Forum ate my poll :(
My PS3 has the worst selection of games as horrible games exist for it mostly crap and... all the stuff that's good is on a much better online service and not supporting sony with horribly broken controllers that die from a drop of water...

I prefer the 360 and I use it for everything.

Cinderella Man

Aug 7, 2011
I use my Xbox to play games and to play DVDs. I see no point in buying a DVD player when my Xbox can play the DVDs for me.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I'd use my PS3 to stream video from my computer, but the PS3 is a pretty terrible media player.

The file browser sucks and can't find my videos half the time. And when it does, it either can't play it, or it's missing the subtitles.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I use my PS3 to play blu-ray, and my 360 for DVD, Netflix, and streaming content from my computer. In total I probably only use my consoles for games about 60% of the time.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
I use my Xbox to play Xbox games and that is it. Anything else I would need to do with it I can just use my laptop for.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
My PS3 gets used to play games, play the Season 1 episodes of Friendship is Magic I have on there, and it plays some music occasionally.

Used to use Netflix, don't anymore.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I use my PS3 to grill steak.

Seriously, just games, movies and occasionally music.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
I use my PS3 for Netflix, downloading game trailers, streaming media content from my laptop, watching Blu-rays and playing music. I also use it for making toast, frying eggs, indoor grilling and heating my room in the winter.

I don't have a fancy modern TV that can connect to a computer so I greatly enjoy the PS3's and the XB360's ability to stream pictures, videos and music through a network from my laptop. All of the stuff I've downloaded but can't put on DVDs, I can now watch on TV via my PS3. Also, I don't have a CD player or digital music player connected to my sound system so my PS3 works as an excellent music player and CD ripper as well. I wonder if it can burn CDs...