Poll: Do you watch anime and/or read manga?

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
The only real anime i ever watched was Dragon Ball z and i stopped doing that a LONG time ago. Most anime is just wierd as hell to me and not in an entertaining way.(unlike Gremlins which was wierd as hell but FREAKING HILARIOUS.)

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
wootsman said:
Kargathia said:
wootsman said:
Kargathia said:
Somehow I never found myself able to appreciate something that deals in excessively emotional responses and thinly concealed sexual repression.
media =/= genre and honestly almost every media does that.
I'm not entirely sure whether in your opinion anime is a medium, or a genre. The last time I checked it wasn't the sole user of illustrated books and animation, so I'm going to go with it being a genre.

You're pretty right in that other genres also show some of the same characteristics. Anything involving angsty teenagers is a sure hit on the excessive emotional response thingie. It's not really a coincidence either I'm no fan of twilight and sitcoms.

I'm not entirely sure though what other genre displays the same excessive amounts of repressed sexuality as anime. Mostly it's just the good ol' oversexed approach, which features just as many DD cup sizes, but far fewer schoolgirls wielding said cups.
I just found out media and genre mean the same thing and we have been using them wrong the whole time. Well anyways what I'm trying to nothing about japanese animation that forces it too do those kinda of stories in fact those are only a small part everything out though i have notice thats all adult swim airs. As for the second part while some mediums rely on real life people to play characters, Though in mediums such as animation, comics, and video games that only need voices for characters or just to draw them, characters tend to be exaggerated.
First a note here. Something tells me you're not a Latin geek, so I'll just clarify it. Medium is singular form, Media is plural.

According to my dictionary the distinction between a medium and a genre is that a medium is solely the method of delivery, and a genre also includes things as style. BBC News, and your local top40 station both share the medium of radio, but they're pretty different genres of broadcasting.

In general you're pretty right that animation and plays have to exaggerate something, as they can't use the full spectrum of body language (most notably the face bit). But too much is too much, and literal childlike tantrums and "isn't he cuuuuuuutttttteeeee?!" moments definitely classify as "way to freaking much".

Characters never have to be exaggerated, as they can be established by nothing more than dialogue. Books have been doing this for quite a while, so I fail to see why animation can't.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I watch enough anime to keep track of it, even though, Im trying, I do read manga but not more then anime. I would like to build up my anime DvD collection and start a paperback manga collection. But Australia sucks for english manga, have to read it on the net.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Tesral said:
Manga series are too darned expensive for me, Doujin FTW. As for anime, i never get time to watch any long series so I usually just pass them up.

(Now to try and say this without sounding like a hipster) I always try to avoid anything too mainstream, or anything too simple. I prefer something classy, and avoid the 'Otaku' or 'Weeaboo' tags like the plauge.
AHH HIPSTER KILL HIM! KILL HIM WITH FIRE AND MAINSTREAM MEDIA! *ahem* I mean yeah I get you. I really don't like either of those terms either even though I honestly just looked them up 5 minutes ago if someone called me that I'd kinda be pissed off. It's not like I don't do other things and even though I like Japanese culture I'm far from being in love with it and obsessing over it.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I read the first book and a half of Death Note while putzing around at the library and subsequently watched the whole thing, and I thought it was great; I've also seen a few episodes of Hetalia: World Series, and try as I might I just couldn't get into Fullmetal Alchemist.

InsaneMaggot

Jul 30, 2011
Yeah, i do both. watching and reading.
but the industry is sustaining itself on the "lonely pervert otaku"-Yen, so all we get every season (be it spring, summer, fall or winter) is atleast half a lineup of moe/harem BS.

I like the medium, but i have a heavy dislike for a large part of the western fan community. the "I AM OTAKU" "KAWAII DESUDESU" "^____^" crowd.
The "who would win, Naruto or Sasuke" crowd is also facepalmworthy.
People who read shonen and dislike characters, no matter how they're characterized, on the basis how many fights they've won.
The fanfiction crowd, especially the weird fujoshi.
The 2D-love crowd.
And so on.

Currently i'm only actively reading&watching gintama.
i have a high standard for manga, so i don't want to read any shonen nonsense(besides gintama). i need seinen to keep me entertained.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
darkless said:
Sure I'm not a hard core fan but there are some anime and manga out there I like, a LOT of it is just fan service and crap though.
You're not familiar of Sturgeon's Law, are you?

To answer the original question, I'm a fan, but I wouldn't call myself "hardcore". Sure I practice the art style and go to as many convention as I can and such, but I'm very picky when it comes to the subject matter of shows and manga.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Uszi said:
Heh, polls a bit misleading. I would never consider myself Otaku [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku].
This, I have a collection of about 500 manga and watch a few animes (I feel that they often aren't great, with a few notable exceptions) but I wouldn't call myself an otaku.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
wootsman said:
According to my dictionary the distinction between a medium and a genre is that a medium is solely the method of delivery, and a genre also includes things as style. BBC News, and your local top40 station both share the medium of radio, but they're pretty different genres of broadcasting.
I meant how scifi is a genre to the medium movies tv books etc.
Agreed. Point closed.

But too much is too much, and literal childlike tantrums and "isn't he cuuuuuuutttttteeeee?!
Its getting hard to tell what you watched
Both characters transforming in a childlike version of themselves when they're throwing a mini-tantrum, and the addition of characters with no obvious value except them being fluffy and cute is pretty widespread I'd say. At least: I found it hard to find any anime not guilty of this.

Characters never have to be exaggerated, as they can be established by nothing more than dialogue. Books have been doing this for quite a while, so I fail to see why animation can't.
some serious shows do ,do this though one might argue why are you going to waste so much time and money if the characters are just talking
They don't have to be talking the entire time. My point is that you can establish a character purely on what they say, without any kind of exaggeration.

Stephen Wo

Mar 16, 2011
I feel like asking that is kind of a strange question, since it mainly refers to the visual style, and the fact that it originated from Japan. I like EVA and watch Durarara!! with my friends for shits n' giggles, but no, not really.

I find the tropes, cliches, and voice acting to be atrocious in many of them.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
wootsman said:
Kargathia said:
wootsman said:
I meant how scifi is a genre to the medium movies tv books etc.
Agreed. Point closed.

But too much is too much, and literal childlike tantrums and "isn't he cuuuuuuutttttteeeee?!
Its getting hard to tell what you watched
Both characters transforming in a childlike version of themselves when they're throwing a mini-tantrum, and the addition of characters with no obvious value except them being fluffy and cute is pretty widespread I'd say. At least: I found it hard to find any anime not guilty of this.

some serious shows do ,do this though one might argue why are you going to waste so much time and money if the characters are just talking
They don't have to be talking the entire time. My point is that you can establish a character purely on what they say, without any kind of exaggeration.
Are you talking about when a character makes a weird noise like EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH
or something like this
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/1302654228623s.jpg/]
Yea, that'd be it.

The "always looks like children despite their age" also is quite a bit of a downer, but I was referring to the insertion of fluffy pets that don't have any value except look cute and go "phweeep?"

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Not really but someone linked me to Pant and Stocking with gaterbelt last night.
At first I was like
But then I

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
SageRuffin said:
darkless said:
Sure I'm not a hard core fan but there are some anime and manga out there I like, a LOT of it is just fan service and crap though.
You're not familiar of Sturgeon's Law, are you?

To answer the original question, I'm a fan, but I wouldn't call myself "hardcore". Sure I practice the art style and go to as many convention as I can and such, but I'm very picky when it comes to the subject matter of shows and manga.
I am now!

He makes an interesting point.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Pretty damn surprised by the poll results.

Been watching anime and reading manga for quite a long time.