Poll: Do you watch anime and/or read manga?

kitolz

Jul 4, 2011
Isn't being a fan of "anime" or "manga" a bit too vague? It's like someone saying they love "movies" or "food." The subject matter is so broad, that 2 people can say they love the same thing and then discover 5 minutes later that they hate each others selection. I feel that people should be more specific.

I'm a huge fan of seinen hero mangas. My favorites include Berserk, Blade of the Immortal, and Vinland Saga. Both have amazing detail and stories, as well as protagonists that are paragons of the ideals of manliness.

For some reason I'm not that into animes of any kind. I think it's because novels and comics provide much more detail in story and setting, which I'm also crazy for.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
When I posted my first reply, I thought to myself that Hourou Musuko was easily the best series from the first half of this year. At first, when I read up on the premise I was like... 'nah, not my cup of tea', but I watched it and... 'damn, this is very well done.' And on ANN, it's only the third series that I've given a 10/10 score for (and I've rated about two hundred series on that website). It is perhaps a little too intelligent, but you really need it to be able to deal with such subject material, and the artistry matched the story to a tee (subtle soundtrack included, loved the outro). But question: 11 episodes?!?!
Yeah, it is ridiculously short. The same thing happened with the adaptation of Aoi Hana (which incidentally is also by Shimura Takako), although with Hourou Musuko it's even weirder since there are as many episodes of the anime as there are entire volumes of the manga.

It's a damned shame, though I guess I shouldn't complain. At least the manga is getting an English release for once.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
mireko said:
Yeah, it is ridiculously short. The same thing happened with the adaptation of Aoi Hana (which incidentally is also by Shimura Takako), although with Hourou Musuko it's even weirder since there are as many episodes of the anime as there are entire volumes of the manga.

It's a damned shame, though I guess I shouldn't complain. At least the manga is getting an English release for once.
What?! Good grief... producers don't know a good thing... but that's part of the problem with this kind of anime, it's serious, deals with proper issues, though... it just doesn't pander... at all, to anyone.

The anime stock is: mecha; long fights (or what idiots call 'battles'); harems (and, though less common, reverse harems); fan service; ham-romances; sporting underdogs; magical girls; and the magical macguffin that falls out of the sky (or equivalent). Series that have none of these are generally the good ones, and most of them are invariably short (FMA being the one of the few exceptions).

It's like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, which rather apocryphally, I watched again in February...

Aoi Hana... ah, I remember that, might have to rewatch because I didn't think that much of it

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I don't read Manga, but I did used to watch tons of anime.

I have watched most of the good ones now though, so that's why I don't watch it as much anymore.

The last anime I watched was Record of Lodoss war about two weeks ago. I was meaning to watch more episodes of that, as it's quite good.

Also, Wow! This is possibly the longest time that the Escapist hasn't had an anime thread. I believe the last one was about a month ago.

kitolz

Jul 4, 2011
So where does everyone get their manga fix around these parts?

I mostly just read them online on manga hosting sites.

Like: http://www.mangareader.net

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
A little bit, but I'm by no means any kind of anime nerd. It's actually something I've been meaning to get into more. I only have one anime box set (Wolf's Rain) and I don't own any manga, but, yeah, I do watch anime when the mood strikes.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
I watch anime and read manga but I haven't watched/ read a new one in a while. Still, got a list of ones that I want to get to but just haven't made the time.

drifter92

Mar 17, 2010
Hell no. I never understood the appeal of weird cat-human hybrids, and kids with extreme hairdos and stuff like that.

No, thanks, I'll stick to reading books about war and watching animated stuff that preferably isn't from Japan.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I've seen some Studio Ghibli and been left very impressed, other than that I just love The Ghost in the Shell films and TV series.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
This poll needs a middling option...

I watched Death Note and Code Geass a year or so ago, but I haven't found one that I enjoy since. I've watched the first episode (or sometimes the first couple) of quite a few anime series that people have recommended, but none of them seem to capture my interest for some reason.

vato_loco

May 24, 2010
Love my manga and anime fuck yea. I'm reading Claymore right now, actually.

That answer your question?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I've read 1 manga and watched 2 animes but I'm not a big fan, although there are some good ones there's just something about them that ticks me off and makes me stay away from them, not sure what is it since I don't dislike art style that most anime/manga, I'm not a big fan either but I don't dislike it.
BTW I didn't vote because I'm not sure I belong in any of those answers.

mitsunakari

Sep 10, 2010
I watch some anime but I'm more into manga. I usually read Seinen type manga even though theres you know, gore everywhere in them. I've watched a lot of Naruto, Death Note, Code Geass, and a few others but i just prefer the manga unless the anime is well done because of anime's tendancy to either cut stuff out or just have some alternate version of the story. Oh and I read manga on mangafox.com

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
where is the rarely/somtimes option?
i don't want to click yea!!, because that sounds like i'm one of those guys who think can speak japanese because they can say kawaaaaai, and otaku, and maybe - maybe - baka (no other words, let alone entire sentences), and that japanese comics mangas and cartoon shows animes are the bestest thing evaaaar happening to this planet and by default are better than ANY other medium (or "medium")- western comics, films, literature, whatever.

there are a few japanese comics (read: a handful. maybe.) which i am interested in, where setting, characters and story are to my liking;
guess that makes neither yea!! nor hell no! (?)