Poll: Does anyone else feel like "Extra Credits" is full of shit?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
No. The entire point of the show is "video games are important", so obviously they'll be talking about artistic value. If you want reviews watch a review show.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No.

I don't agree with everything they say...but unlike many video streaming programs on the web they seem to put genuine thought and research into their work.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I would say are pretentious and talk down to you like we are idiots. Sometimes they talk sense and others just complete bullshit. But mostly they get you thinking about a subject in a different way. So i guess im on the fence.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Kragg said:
1 mistake doesn't invalidate everything something does, it is not like they murdered someone (and you know deus ex had a "choose your ending" machine as well)
It's not just one mistake. But it is the final mistake as far as I'm concerned. And you can't compare the ending of Deus Ex to the ending of Mass Effect 3. Deus Ex ending doesn't ruin the entire narrative of the game. It's a bit abrupt but it still makes perfect sense.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
The incredibly annoyingly edited voice was enough to make me not watch EC videos more than a couple of times.

From what I watched; somewhat pretentious, but mostly good stuff and valid observations, theories & views.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
theblindedhunter said:
Disagree totally. I've never walked away from one of their videos without being more edified than I was prior, never thought them pretentious or condescending, and personally would ascribe any lack to the fact that they can't really put out all the detail they would like to because they have day jobs.
I think there is a certain amount of leaving the viewer to think about what is going on for themselves, and they have to speak on a certain level if they want to let everyone understand things, which to me explains some of those problems, but "full of shit" is not applicable at all.
Pretty much this. I've loved just about every episode they've put out, and even if I disagree with them, they're always pleasant in their presentation and full of some much needed optimism

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I'm gonna say no, they're opinionated people who do genuinely know what they're talking about, frankly this is the worst site to mention them due to our... history.

Also their "Games you might not of tried" episodes are really good

Rewrench

Oct 20, 2010
They present their opinion as fact. They try and make it look like they thought it through. But usually they do a lot of leaping in their conclutions and leave out things that dont support their view.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I guess from TIME to time I'll go 'egh dude that's digging a bit too much'. Or think it might be a bit pretentious but they usually back up points well enough, or backtrack on their previous statements later with 'well blah might not blah'.

I don't watch them religiously anymore, but when I'm in the mood... Yeah they're no worse, no better than any OTHER video game centered chat show I watch.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I don't understand what you mean by pretentious. They talk about subjects they're very knowledgeable in, plus they aren't condescending about it by saying things like "You won't get this but US industry professionals do!" and just move on to a different subject. If they pose a question or problem they'll usually try to explain it without falling back on such an excuse.

They're vocabulary isn't very internet or Meme friendly I guess. For example, someone talked about Sequalitus in comparison and after watching an episode I noticed he uses alot of "THIS FUCKIN' SHIT IS AMAZIN'!" Using his exuberance over whatever subject he's defending or trying to point out as another point of his lesson. While there is nothing wrong about that for entertainment purposes it's not very useful when your trying to convey what the value of your lesson is. EC uses more of a classroom mentality of teaching where their humor is used to keep the audience engaged but not used to reenforce the meaning of their lesson. What I mean is they aren't saying "I'M RIGHT ABOUT THIS BECAUSE I'M SAYING IT IN ALL CAPS!" is never one of their issues or the more used by Sequalitus (and the internet) "I'm right because I'm drawing and voicing the opposition effeminate and whiny."

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
You have to remember that a lot of what they produce is intended for people in the games industry. It's more of a "Here are some things to keep in mind when building your games."

That being said, I do think they get a little heavy handed at times, and I feel like James has a bit too high an opinion of himself.

Then again, I'm not in the industry and I don't know them, so what do I know?

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
They seem to talk about stuff that we already know everything about.

The show is more for those who have recently entered the world of videogames than the ones that have been playing them for years.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Floyd works as a character animator for Pixar. Portnow worked on some of the early Call of Duty games, and teaches at Digipen. Theus has worked for THQ, Disney Interactive, and Divide by Zero.

Why, exactly, do they have to make a Flash game to prove their worthiness to engage this discussion? That seems a little like asking a Fortune 500 CFO to balance your checkbook if he's so great with finances.

EC leaves the Escapist, and suddenly they're "pretentious". Sheesh.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
They're a bit overenthusiastic at times and the text is written as kind of lecture being given from a professor (I was going to say they have a "professoral" tone but I don't know if this word exists in English as it does in my native language), but they make good points even if you don't agree with them, or even if their research is somewhat lacking at times (they have little time to produce a show).

Their tone may be grating to some, I don't know.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Aside from how they have the standard gamer fetish with indie games, I really like what they have to say.

(Really, guys? A big panel at PAX East, and when asked your favorite *anything* from a game (music, etc.), you're going to only cite tiny wimpy indie games? Hipsters.)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hallow said:
I just want you to know that I chose the top option, since you had it there.

That said, no I do not feel that EC is full of shit. I rather like their take on the world of gaming, that it's not doom and gloom and slathered with the snark of Yahtzee or Jim around here. It's a fresh flavor of hope, something often lacking in forums like these. If you have a problem with that, you have the right to discuss. But on the other hand, I have the right to disagree, and I do. Now, do you have any REAL reason to suddenly throw out this little hate-fit or were you just bored?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Lucem712 said:
I like that they are bit more optimistic and try to be informative. Sure, the whole gaming is the future can get a bit old, but it's better than everyone complaining.

As far as I know they are setting up a publisher (with the extra money, and might plan to do more Kickstarters to fund projects) but it's a bit a long process and they do have to make sure their projects are capable of success.

So, it's nice to see some action and not just talk.
And isn't the lead writer of the series a dev team member by career or something?