Poll: Does People Playing Music Loud In Public Annoy You?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Inspired by this recent thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.180583-AU-Teen-Arrested-for-Playing-Offensive-Music-in-Public#comment_form] I was wondering if anyone else here gets annoyed when they have to listen to others playing music loud in public?

Why do they insist on playing (what is usually) rap, drum and bass, or metal music loudly, either in their cars or via their mobile phone speakers?

I don't ever hear anyone playing easy-listening or pop music, which gives me the impression people who do this are a bunch of attention seekers who're desperate for everyone to know what music they listen to like some sort of pride festival.

Am I the only one frustrated by this?

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Yes, it's fucking obnoxious, it's why we have headphones, especially if it's just a bunch of profanities strung together.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I dislike a lot of rap and hiphop, but go to school in a heavy urban area. Not much I can do about it.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
I have the annoying habit of liking any music if I hear it enough, so I would start off raging but end up liking it (unless it's at such a level I can't hear anything over it)

But I'm a teenager though and that's the group that does it most, so my opinions kind of a moot point.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Yes, it is annoying. They have no reason to force everyone to listen to their music.
I don't go around blaring out Nanodesu, so why should they force people to suffer their crap?
Just seems like an asshole thing to do... get headphones, like everyone else...

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
Yes in certain situations. Public music isn't all that bad, I'm friends with people who love to take their acoustic guitars and harmonicas and what not and play in the park or in someone's (that we know) front yard. As long as it's not interrupting anything or being disrespectful of the people nearby let it happen.

I remember one my friend was playing Neutral Milk hotel and a little girl rode by on her tricycle and she and her parents stopped to listen. They loved the little disturbance in their neighborhood walk.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
The form of this I dislike most is people who walk around with their music ringtones playing over the phone speaker as a makeshift stereo. If you need music that badly just buy a MP3 player they are not very expensive and will be so much better quality than the phone speaker.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
If it's good music, it doesn't bother me, if it's crappy music then it really does irritate the hell out of me.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Depends. If it is good music (and this also depends on what you like in music) then I don't mind. But since most of the stuff people play is Lady GaGa then yes it very annoying. If it's too loud from a car theen it's not too bad because they will drive off, however if you can hear music coming from a person's headphones, say while you are sitting on a bus, in class etc then it annoys me greatly. What's the point of having headphones if everyone else can hear it?

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
There's someone that lives across the street from me. They constantly drive about at all hours and /always/ have the base in their car turned up ridiculously high. So high in fact that you can /feel/ it. I can't stand it.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
If it's something I know and like, I'll lip-sync along with it. Recently someone was blaring the Land of Confusion cover by Disturbed at a red light and I sung along. Same goes for not too long ago when someone was playing I-E-A-I-A-I-O by System of a Down. But if it's something I don't like (most rap songs for instance) then I get annoyed.

So in conclusion: I like what I like, I don't like what I don't like. Any questions?

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
Yes. Very much so. This is why I keep my iPod and a set of noise canceling earphones on me at all times.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
I blare out jazz pretty loud. Not as loud as most people, but still pretty weird.
It gets me weird looks.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
"In public" means many things. In general I don't really care if they play it somewhere where I have a reasonable option of moving away from the music and thus be able to stop hearing it (for instance, in a public park or on a street or something). But it's not cool playing music in places where you basically have to stay and hear it, like when you're riding the bus or the subway, or if you're in a classroom trying to study.

Im all for the "don't like it, then no one's forcing you to listen"-attitude, but you don't really have much choice when you're on the same subway train or bus, so people who want to listen to music should really use headphones when they're at these public places.

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
That horrific, tinny, obnoxious drivel that always seems to drool out of the same low-quality, horribly-made mobile phone speakers on public transport is simply unbearable. Even if it's a song I happen to like, playing it in that manner makes it the same as all of the other crap: ear-bleedingly awful...

As for people who HAVE headphones, but choose to play their music so loud that it makes no difference, all I have to say is: "Do you KNOW how much damage you're doing to your ears? Seriously!"

So yeah, I hate it...

However, this kind of thing would be perfectly pleasant in my opinion:
EClaris said:
Yes in certain situations. Public music isn't all that bad, I'm friends with people who love to take their acoustic guitars and harmonicas and what not and play in the park or in someone's (that we know) front yard. As long as it's not interrupting anything or being disrespectful of the people nearby let it happen.

I remember one my friend was playing Neutral Milk hotel and a little girl rode by on her tricycle and she and her parents stopped to listen. They loved the little disturbance in their neighborhood walk.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
As someone who has been spending a lot of time in hospital wards recently I think I can safely say that playing music loud in public is one of the rudest and most annoying a person can do. Especially when its the kind of crap that gets into the top 40 thats being played repeatedly!

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
It annoys me most of the time, but occasionally it'll be a song I like, and it's tolerable.