Poll: Does People Playing Music Loud In Public Annoy You?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I do it when driving down the street, but when I get to stop lights and see other people with windows down, I usually turn the music down. At college, I usually wear head phones, because unlike most the people there and from my high school, I know that other people don't want to hear the music I'm listening to.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Yes, it irritates me. It irritates me a lot.

What makes it worse is that the people who do it always have the adjusters set to max bass and minimum everything else and the bass boost or super bass or whatever else turned on too, so even if it's actually a good song all that comes through the car window, across the street, over the hedge, in through the wall and through to the far side of the house (yes, really, they put it on that loud while they're driving) is the bass thud.

If I could throw lightning, I'd fry their stereos and their cars, and some of them too.

I have a playlist on my computer that is basically "stuff that won't upset the neighbours" because I'm nice like that. Then someone decides I need to hear their TV or their favourite radio station or whatever and I stop feeling so nice.

I reckon they're the kind of person who does 50mph past one school then stops on the big yellow SCHOOL KEEP CLEAR markings to let their kids out right at the gates.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
EClaris said:
Yes in certain situations. Public music isn't all that bad, I'm friends with people who love to take their acoustic guitars and harmonicas and what not and play in the park or in someone's (that we know) front yard. As long as it's not interrupting anything or being disrespectful of the people nearby let it happen.

I remember one my friend was playing Neutral Milk hotel and a little girl rode by on her tricycle and she and her parents stopped to listen. They loved the little disturbance in their neighborhood walk.
This, I like. Really.

But I'm guessing the thread is mainly about people who blast the music out of their iPods and what-not. And no, I don't approve.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I don't really mind if you're playing your music in public. Its kinda nice to turn a corner into what your first reaction can only be "Holy shit I've walked into an f'd up musical". There are acceptable levels if you want to play music in public, but to blare it sound loud your rusty shit-bag of a vehicle's rivets are shaking is unacceptable.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
You people are damned hypocritical.

Really? If I like it, then its OK? *slap* No. No it is not.

I don't mind it if I don't have to deal with it for a long time. Waiting at a light, passing on the freeway, what have you. However, when you are driving around town, going 35, and I have to put up with the Bass of god damned rap music or what have you, I have the urge to throw a damned brick at you and your vehicle. I don't care if I like the music, I realize other people probably don't. If you want to destroy your hearing, do headphones. That way, just you kill one of your senses, not everyone else.

Cerrax

Feb 15, 2009
I do it all the time.

I see people blasting awful rap music all the time. The public needs a little more metal in their audio diet.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
It's some twisted sense of pride that they think something's awesome so they broadcast it to their immediate surroundings in hope of some kudos. Either that or ignorance.

And in answer to your question, yes it annoys me, even if it's the sort of music I listen to.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Yes, it's fucking obnoxious, it's why we have headphones, especially if it's just a bunch of profanities strung together.
Yes but it's even more annoying when they are playing it so loud through their headphones that you can hear it.

So yes, this annoys me.

Rararaz

Feb 20, 2010
It doesn't bother me as long as it isn't disturbing myself or someone else from doing something important such as work. It only bothers me when a total lack of respect is shown for other people but sometimes, often, it is Ok to listen to music loud regardless of what music it is.

All those people who have said that "it is OK if they do it because their music is good" or similar are simply obnoxious and need to learn that different things float different peoples votes. Sometimes if you open your mind you can be shocked to find that music "types" and "genres" you have written off are actually quite good. I think that people should let their supposed principles get in the way of what they let themselves enjoy less.

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
I think there's limits to it.
As in if you're playing the music loudly while driving (As I do), then it's just the mood you're in.
But if you're like the kid in the other thread who was playing his loud music in the middle of a grocery store parking lot, parked, then there are moments when those people need to be asked to turn it down, or leave (But not arresting them... That's ridiculous.)

Also, I feel like I can be placed into the minority who DO blare easy listening, unless anyone has an objection to The Killers or Dave Matthews Band.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
Nothing annoys me more. It's so inconsiderate, please refer to one of my old threads to learn how much it annoys me :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.171693-Cruel-But-you-bloody-deserved-it#4734941

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I want to do this http://www.xkcd.com/368/ to every bass heavy car I hear.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
chromewarriorXIII said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Yes, it's fucking obnoxious, it's why we have headphones, especially if it's just a bunch of profanities strung together.
Yes but it's even more annoying when they are playing it so loud through their headphones that you can hear it.
I get an evil satisfaction out of that knowing they'll be deaf soon enough so they won't have a reason to blast music.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Of course it's annoying, especially when certain morons in my country choose to not only turn the volume to the max to show everyone how awesome and cool they are for just getting their drivers license a week ago but to also open their windows so that everyone can hear their stupid fucking moronic music.

Everytime I go out on the streets there's at least one asshole fitting the description above listening to trash like this with the volume to the max and the windows wide open with one of his hand hanging out to look awesome and cool and like a little moronic Romanian chav. The song below is the shit I'm talking about and God help you if you actually enjoy this sort of music because if you DO then you are mentally retarded.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Yes, especially when they ARE using freaking headphones. It irritates me to no end when they're playing the music so loud that a person halfway across a room can hear every word clearly.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
EClaris said:
Yes in certain situations. Public music isn't all that bad, I'm friends with people who love to take their acoustic guitars and harmonicas and what not and play in the park or in someone's (that we know) front yard. As long as it's not interrupting anything or being disrespectful of the people nearby let it happen.

I remember one my friend was playing Neutral Milk hotel and a little girl rode by on her tricycle and she and her parents stopped to listen. They loved the little disturbance in their neighborhood walk.
I think the person is refering to playing a MP3 player, or CD in the car so loud people 1/2 a block away can understand the lyrics.
And yes it is annoying and the people are pricks :p