Poll: Does the 3D enhance Guardians of the Galaxy?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Sleekit said:
2nd ? that's pretty bold :) how would you rate it against Iron Man ?

also how is Karen in it ?
I love Iron Man and I love RDJ as Tony Stark and he is still my favorite character in the MCU but as a complete movie GotG has all three Iron Man movies beat IMO. I will say however that Rocket is now number 2 in my favorite MCU characters and Groot, Star lord and Drax are all tied for 3rd place.

As for Karen, she did not have a massive part with many lines but her accent was good and she was really good in her action scenes.
I noticed each main character gets a chance to be funny except the resident Five-Man Band can only be sexy and/or tough.
Actually, she does get several funny moments. Not as many as the rest, granted -- she is the straight ma... woman of the group -- but she does have a couple of really funny lines.
Drax is neither straight man nor the opposite. He's often funny, but never intentionally. We never laugh with him, but boy do we laugh at him! This isn't actually a spoiler at all. That he's this kind of character is clear pretty much after the first minute with him. I just have a policy of never revealing anything about a new movie outside spoiler tags, except for what can be seen in the posters.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Queen Michael said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Sleekit said:

I love Iron Man and I love RDJ as Tony Stark and he is still my favorite character in the MCU but as a complete movie GotG has all three Iron Man movies beat IMO. I will say however that Rocket is now number 2 in my favorite MCU characters and Groot, Star lord and Drax are all tied for 3rd place.

As for Karen, she did not have a massive part with many lines but her accent was good and she was really good in her action scenes.
I noticed each main character gets a chance to be funny except the resident Five-Man Band can only be sexy and/or tough.
Actually, she does get several funny moments. Not as many as the rest, granted -- she is the straight ma... woman of the group -- but she does have a couple of really funny lines.
Drax is neither straight man nor the opposite. He's often funny, but never intentionally. We never laugh with him, but boy do we laugh at him! This isn't actually a spoiler at all. That he's this kind of character is clear pretty much after the first minute with him. I just have a policy of never revealing anything about a new movie outside spoiler tags, except for what can be seen in the posters.
I think Gamora's only funny line was slightly building on Quill's "sticks" joke.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Queen Michael said:
I'm going to see Guardians of the Galaxy tomorrow at the earliest showing I can find. Thing is, I'm not sure if I should watch the 3D version or not. Is it worth it? Lots of the time, I find that even when the 3D is cool, the movie doesn't use it to improve the storytelling. It's like giving you a free chocolate cupcake with your movie ticket -- it improves the experience as a whole, but it doesn't make the movie itself better.

So what's your opinion?

I'm going to go beyond it just being not worth it. Guardians of the Galaxy uses of a ton of fast moving scenes and multiple points of focus, things that 3d does very poorly. If you will ever get a headache from a 3d movie, Guardians is the movie. I strongly recommend against seeing it in 3d. This coming from someone who just saw it in 3d because it was the only showing I could make.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Maxtro said:
Thanks for this thread. I was considering the decision myself when I see it tomorrow.

Looks like it's 2D for me.

BTW, as for 2D vs 3D, the last 3D movie I was was How to Train Your Dragon 2, and the 3D was absolutely worth it.
As someone who usually hates 3d, it didn't bother me a bit in Dragon 2. I don't think I'd prefer 3d, but I'm a bit of a freak.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Queen Michael said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Sleekit said:

I think Gamora's only funny line was slightly building on Quill's "sticks" joke.
She also had these two:
"I'm going to die together with the biggest idiots in the galaxy."

"I won't be fooled by your phallic ways."
I know I might be misquoting them, and maybe you didn't laugh at them as much as I did, but at least they show that Gamora was intended to be funny at least a few times.

And to all of you: Thanks for the help. I did as you told me and picked the 2D showing, and I'm glad I did. I loved it.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
What a wierd poll. Your only option for it being good is that it improves the storytelling? No 3D ever in any movie improves the storytelling because storytelling is in absolutely no way related to 3D.

Now if you included an option like "It makes the movie more enjoyable to watch"/"It makes it look better" I would say yes, but that option isnt there.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
I don't care for the 3D gimmick, but I did see Guardians in 3D (only available way to see it at the time I wanted to go). That said if you like the gimmick Guardians makes the most of it's 3d, pretty much every scene uses it (unlike a lot of films I've seen where it's basically an after thought), and the colour balance isn't thrown off too badly either.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I watched it in 3D (I didn't had a choice, otherwise I would had watched it at a later date which would had messed up my plan on that day) and honestly I wasn't exactly got awe struck by the extra 3D effect.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I saw it in 3D, at the suggestion of a friend of mine.

It was nice, but due to my personal eye conditions, 3D gives me terrible eye strain and a headache afterwards. It's pretty much the nail in the coffin for me about seeing 3D, it's just too uncomfortable for me.

It did look good though, but it didn't really "improve" the story in any way, it just made it prettier is all.

But I've never had a problem with 2D movies looking good compared to 3D, so it's mostly just personal taste.

If you don't have eye problems when viewing 3D, but like spectacle, then go see 3D, but dont' expect it to make much of a difference in the story at all.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Iron Man 3 is so far the worst of the phase 2 movies and that's by quite a long margin.

Under used, she gets one half decent fight scene in the movie the rest of the scenes are her being told to do stuff and reacting to it or shouting orders at other people.

Have seen it in 3D and 2D, the 3D only becomes an issue during some of the quick movement action scenes, the movie does have the a typical oooh look that's the 3D working there shots but beyond that it is doesn't add enough to make it worthwhile, see it 2D and save yourself the squinting you'll get the better experience from it.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
This is such a weird group, is there anyone here who doesn't get a headache from 3D? If it was that wide spread I don't think it would be so popular.

Anyway, I thought the 3D was really well done, created depth and added quite a bit of enjoyable visual pop to an already beautiful movie.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I saw it in 3D due to scheduling reasons, and I have to say it wasn't bad. It's post converted I think so it wasn't meant for 3D. There were a few scenes that I'd say were enhanced a bit by the 3D, and it's nice when they're subtle about it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it that way.

Laughing Man said:
Iron Man 3 is so far the worst of the phase 2 movies and that's by quite a long margin.
Off topic, but how could you say that? Is it the whole "plot hole" thing about House Party Protocol (which could be argued as fitting in with Tony Stark's overconfidence) or the whole thing with the Mandarin (brilliantly sidestepping and gesturing towards any racial baggage the character has)? I enjoyed it quite a bit as story about Tony coming to terms with his insignificance in the bigger universe and realizing he can still get shit done without being "Iron Man."

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
3D is only worth it when the film is actually shot with 3D cameras. Off the top of my head, I can only recall Avatar and Gravity as being shot with 3D cameras. Most "3D" films are just post-processing effects, which look cheesy and gives the film a muddy/dark look.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I didn't vote as the poll options aren't very good. I watched the film in 3D and I'd certainly recommend it, but while it doesn't improve the story, I feel it's more integral to the experience than a mere gimmick.

It enhances the experience in general, and there's a few points where stuff flies at the screen and you'd lose that if you watched in 2D. It'd still be a film well worth watching in 2D though, so ultimately it comes down to whether you can justify spending the extra bucks on 3D.