Poll: Dogs! Which would you want?

Dec 14, 2009
El Luck said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Weimaraner is best dog!

You want to know the nickname of this breed?

'The Grey Ghost'

Best dogs ever, although I may be bias, since I have one.
...that is the scariest looking dog ever.

its eyes, why are its eyes so far apart? Why are they staring in to the depths of my soul!? GET OUT OF MY SOUL!

...i mean uhh..yeah scary.
It's only a puppy, and all puppies look a bit derpy.

Here's a more judgemental stare.

Adult weimaraner disapproves of your criticism.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Erana said:
Crenelate said:
I prefer the look of larger dogs, and the have the benefit of being able to withstand rough and tumble, massive cuddles and for making you feel safer when you're out on your own. If I wanted something small I'd probably just get a cat instead.

My mum is scared of German shepherds too, but my dad had a few as a kid so he loves them
In that case, I'd probably go with the stafordshire, or german shepherd, and possibly the malamute if you are in a good region for them and can manage to even find one. Shiba are also scarce outside of Japan and are generally expensive. And as I mentioned before, dogs with hair is a *****, so if you're prepared to deal with the shedding, going with fur will make your life easier.
The bf and I have looked into Shibas and they range from about £600-1000, pretty pricey, so if we ever do get one it'll probably be many years from now. Staffy looks like a good bet, how can you resist that grin?

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Of those you listed, I'd pick Samoyed.

Mainly because I own an American Eskimo Dog.

They're just so god damn fluffy.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
El Luck said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Weimaraner is best dog!

'The Grey Ghost'

its eyes, why are its eyes so far apart? Why are they staring in to the depths of my soul!? GET OUT OF MY SOUL!

I still stand by the fact I feel cold in dead inside after staring at that picture.

Ah its that dog, never seen a puppy of it. Pretty damn cool looking dog. Especially being able to pull off a stare like that.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
haz7dog3 said:
Mr Cwtchy said:
Of your options, Malamute looks the best to me.

But we have a Border Collie at home, who essentially beats every other dog hands down. ^_^

The Collies are unequivocally the smartest breeds of dog, and the best looking (opinion). They are medium-sized, friendly and loyal but demand a lot in return.

Temperament and the needs of the dog are the most important factors that should be considered before taking on a life long commitment. My last dog was an Irish Terrier (also medium-sized) who had a lot of character. He had playfulness, intelligence and stubbornness in equal parts. His needs were a fraction of that of a Collie's. Though I would love to have another Border Collie, I know it would be selfish of me, as I know i don't have the time or space to fully stimulate and care for it. My first Collie demanded constant stimulation, and I dont think I will be able to provide such levels until im retired! (But thats me and my plane of existence...)
I own a Border Collie. Perhaps I should say, I live with her. Terrific dogs, super intelligent, funny as heck...and VERY high energy. A lot of Border Collie owners, myself included, will be the first to caution against getting one unless you're willing to basically make your dog your hobby. Just giving them room to run won't do it, you've got to find a "job" for them to do or they get bored. And you just don't want to see them bored.

Here's my gal, doing her thing. She's a smooth coat (short hair) BC, btw. The (rough coat) seem to be more popular these days, for all that rough coat is a recessive trait. My mum-in-law grew up in Northumberland (near the English/Scottish border that their name comes from) and she tells me that the working collies up there were all short haired.

And here she is, finally tuckered out. Give her 15 minutes, she'll be back at it again.

Final comment: mine was a rescue. It's not true that if you want a specific breed that you have to go to a breeder. Not to say that getting a mutt is bad, either-- I've owned and loved mutts, too (had a German Shepherd mix that was every bit as smart as my BC)

I-Protest-I

Nov 7, 2009
I was sat waiting for the thread to load thinking, this son of a ***** better have a staffy on here. Then I saw the first picture and made a mental apology for swearing.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
El Luck said:
Daystar Clarion said:
El Luck said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Weimaraner is best dog!

'The Grey Ghost'

I still stand by the fact I feel cold in dead inside after staring at that picture.

Ah its that dog, never seen a puppy of it. Pretty damn cool looking dog. Especially being able to pull off a stare like that.
My mum loves Weimaraners, and Viszlas, just the smooth coated graceful look i guess. I prefer rough and fluffy generally. Also dogs with pale eyes and brown noses creep me out. I know, it's kind of weird.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Oh no....to..much..cute. Oh, that is so unmanly to say. Must get something more manly in here like....

*looks at dogs again*

SAXTON DIDNT HELP!

Fine....

Probly a German Shepherd or a Husky. Also, Corgies are pretty cute too:

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Saladfork said:
I really hate smaller dogs, so good on you for picking the larger ones, I say.
+1. In the immortal words of Jeff Dunham: "anything i can easily drop kick over my back fence is not a dog" :D
[sub]I'd just like to point out for the idiota about to fire up the outrage bus, don't bother, it's a joke.[/sub]

OP: Go for a German Shepherd. They're awesome. Apart from my parent's current pet, who runs away from almost anything, including the vacuum cleaner and (as I found out today) the sewing machine, and attacks anything coming through the letterbox. Le sigh. So much mail destroyed...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Samoyed or Mamalute...

samoyed or mamalute???...I...I cant choose...

I take a hybrid!!

Dec 14, 2009
Crenelate said:
El Luck said:
Daystar Clarion said:
El Luck said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Weimaraner is best dog!

'The Grey Ghost'

My mum loves Weimaraners, and Viszlas, just the smooth coated graceful look i guess. I prefer rough and fluffy generally. Also dogs with pale eyes and brown noses creep me out. I know, it's kind of weird.
It's only really the puppies that can pierce your soul.

My Weimaraner had really blue eyes, like the puppy above, but they're a lot paler now, which is a shame, because I really loved her puppy eyes.

Stupid dogs. Why do they have to grow up?

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
GigaHz said:
Saladfork said:
I'm partial to huskies (malamute? I'm not big on dog terminology but I've never heard that term before), myself. You're probably going to have a hard time finding a recognizable breed though.

Yeah, smaller dogs are usually the noisier ones of the bunch. I regret getting my little terrorist.

I'd go with a Husky (Malmute?). Such a gorgeous looking dog and they look the closest to wolves. I've always wanted a pet wolf.
Have you heard of Utonagans? They're a mix of Malamute, German Shepard and Siberian Husky, they look almost exactly like wolves and they're very friendly as well.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
BlackStar42 said:
GigaHz said:
Saladfork said:
I'm partial to huskies (malamute? I'm not big on dog terminology but I've never heard that term before), myself. You're probably going to have a hard time finding a recognizable breed though.

Yeah, smaller dogs are usually the noisier ones of the bunch. I regret getting my little terrorist.

I'd go with a Husky (Malmute?). Such a gorgeous looking dog and they look the closest to wolves. I've always wanted a pet wolf.
Have you heard of Utonagans? They're a mix of Malamute, German Shepard and Siberian Husky, they look almost exactly like wolves and they're very friendly as well.

THAT. LOOKS. AWESOME. I WANT IT NOW!

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
BlackStar42 said:
GigaHz said:
Saladfork said:

OH MY. That's perfect. Personally, I love samoyeds, malamuts, huskies and german shepherds the most. And I can't choose between a samoyed and malamute on the poll. But I've never heard of this breed before. They are so beautiful! I adore big dogs, and even though I'm a cat person, I'd very much like to own such a beautiful big dog. However, I wouldn't get them without owning a house with a yard. Keeping such big breeds in an apartment seems like a torture to the poor dog, unless you can invest a lot of time to walk them for hours per day.

Still, thanks for sharing about this breed. One day, I'll have it. One day.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
Go Greyhounds! I mean, come on, they're loyal, fast, smart, strong, and best of all, they look kinda like little deer! And they're not always hyper! They can be couch potatoes!

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
St Bernards are the best especially the docile ones if I ever get a St Bernard I'd want it to be big as an ox but a total creampuff...