Poll: Dogs! Which would you want?

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
I love dogs, but I won't be able to have one for another 2 years at least until I finish uni, move out and get a job. Still, I always think about what breeds I particularly like. I will probably end up getting a heinz from a shelter because of all the good reasons that come with that (lovely dogs/better health/cost/helping etc.)

But until then, which of these breeds (ones I am particularly fond of) do you think is the nicest/coolest/smartest/best looking/best pet. Basically, which one would you take home, given the choice? (This is presuming the dog is a standard example of the breed's temperament and attributes). Do any of you have these dogs? If not, what kind do you have? Nice dog ownership stories are very welcome to make me extra jealous.

If you hate dogs and would never have one? Make a thread about cats?

Links to pictures in case people aren't familiar with breeds:
Staffy

Shiba

German Shepherd

Samoyed

Malamute

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I'm partial to huskies (malamute? I'm not big on dog terminology but I've never heard that term before), myself. You're probably going to have a hard time finding a recognizable breed though.

I really hate smaller dogs, so good on you for picking the larger ones, I say.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Saladfork said:
I'm partial to huskies (malamute? I'm not big on dog terminology but I've never heard that term before), myself. You're probably going to have a hard time finding a recognizable breed though.

Yeah, smaller dogs are usually the noisier ones of the bunch. I regret getting my little terrorist.

I'd go with a Husky (Malmute?). Such a gorgeous looking dog and they look the closest to wolves. I've always wanted a pet wolf.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Saladfork said:

Alaskan Malamute is kind of a bigger version of a Siberian Husky. I think they're a little less spirited and more soppy.
And yeah, I'm a fan of bigger dogs. Small ones are annoying. I like my dogs looking like dogs.

And a pet wolf would be cool on paper, but I don't think it would work. Hence my preference of spitz type doggies (oldest dog type, most closely related to wolves).

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Of your options, Malamute looks the best to me.

But we have a Border Collie at home, who essentially beats every other dog hands down. ^_^

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Man, I love German Shepherds. So imposing, so strong. And those satellite dishes for ears! Perfect. :) (Although, Shiba Inus are super cute)

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
I can't decide between the Shiba Inu (which was my favourite in Nintendogs) and Malamute. I really kinda want a Corgy, though! I had a three year old Golden Retriever two years ago. He died of cancer and I posted a whine-thread here on the Escapist to make me feel better. It helped. I love you all <3

Anyway, so now I want that Corgy, but my parents won't have it, so I'm gonna have to wait until I'm done studying, move out and get a job. But I want it so much...

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
The one that looks like a Siberian Husky most likley. But if I had to choose any dog, then definetly a Gran Danois. It's just an enormous calm and happy dog. Not too much work, which I like.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Wikipedia said:
As pets, once mature, Alaskan Malamutes have a very quiet, dignified temperament and are loyal to their owners.
Sounds like the malamute is my kind of dog. Plus it looks like a domestic wolf.
Not sure I'd like having to manage that coat, though...

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
My Puggle is the best, I wouldn't trade him for any other dog out there

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
C F said:
Wikipedia said:
As pets, once mature, Alaskan Malamutes have a very quiet, dignified temperament and are loyal to their owners.
Sounds like the malamute is my kind of dog. Plus it looks like a domestic wolf.
Not sure I'd like having to manage that coat, though...
Slightly easier than the Samoyed though. But he's so fluffy!

Fatboy_41

Jan 16, 2012
I had a Staffy x Rohdesian Ridgeback. She was a little excitable, but was that most gorgeous pup I've ever known. I was devastated when I had to find a new home for her. So, out of your options, I have to go the Staffy. How can anyone say no to that smile.

Out of any breed though, I pick the Swedish Vallhund. Very rare, to the point the we're on the edge of extinction as recently as WW 2. Such a kind hearted breed. I was lucky enough to have a reputable breeder in the town I was living last year, so I got to meet a few of her dogs, and some 8 day old pups. As soon as I am settled again, and not being shafted by work or contemplating an international relocation, this will be the pup I get. A grey, Female Vallhund named Storm.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
German Shepherd. Smart motherfuckers. Now if I could get a hybrid between a GSD and a Lab, I'd be the happiest bastard on the planet.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
MammothBlade said:
Screw domesticated dogs, I'll tame a big bad grey wolf.

It's all fun and games, until it accidentally kills you when challenging you for the position of pack leader.

Domesticated dogs are far less aggressive when it comes to stuff like that - namely because those that were, were shot and never got the chance to breed and propagate their genes i.e. such behavior were breed out of them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Assuming you had done your reseach on each of the dog breed behivour, I would go with the Shiba. However I'm not dog expect so my I may change my mind (when I do the research first).

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
deadish said:
MammothBlade said:
Screw domesticated dogs, I'll tame a big bad grey wolf.

It's all fun and games, until it accidentally kills you when challenging you for the position of pack leader.

Domesticated dogs are far less aggressive when it comes to stuff like that - namely because those that were, were shot and never got the chance to breed and propagate their genes i.e. such behavior were breed out of them.
If it did that, it would become a lone wolf, not pack leader. Sure, most domesticated dogs are the distant descendants of omega wolves. And that's boring.

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
Though you've not mentioned them in the list, I'd go with a labrador. They're incredibly smart dogs who are massively dumb at the same time. Though you have to be careful because they'll eat you out of house and home if you give them the chance. We had to put child locks on our fridge and cupboards because the lab we had worked out how to open them