Poll: Dogs! Which would you want?

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
MammothBlade said:
deadish said:
MammothBlade said:
Screw domesticated dogs, I'll tame a big bad grey wolf.

It's all fun and games, until it accidentally kills you when challenging you for the position of pack leader.

Domesticated dogs are far less aggressive when it comes to stuff like that - namely because those that were, were shot and never got the chance to breed and propagate their genes i.e. such behavior were breed out of them.
If it did that, it would become a lone wolf, not pack leader. Sure, most domesticated dogs are the distant descendants of omega wolves. And that's boring.
Well, if it's your wolf then it will see itself as part of your pack and it will challenge you for leadership like it does in the wild with other wolves. I know you are probably just joking, but if you ever do somehow get a wolf as a pet, I sure hope you know what you are doing.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Go to an animal shelter and rescue a mutt. Save money, save a life, make a friend that will love you for their entire life. Many pure breeds are pretty but scruffy shelter mutts have character.

My mutt appears to be some sort of Besenji / Whippet breed and was found nested by the side of the freeway where some heartless human abandoned her. She's more loyal and loving than any dog I ever had before. Save a shelter mutt, forget expensive pure breeds and designer dogs!

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Whichever is more low maintenance.

Just looking at the pictures though: Shiba or Malamute. Because they look fluffy and soft, albeit not so fluffy as that white thing which will undoubtedly leave a shittonne of hair everywhere.
[sub]I will mention that cats are softer and cuddlier and more low maintenance though.[/sub]

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Treeinthewoods said:
Go to an animal shelter and rescue a mutt. Save money, save a life, make a friend that will love you for their entire life. Many pure breeds are pretty but scruffy shelter mutts have character.

My mutt appears to be some sort of Besenji / Whippet breed and was found nested by the side of the freeway where some heartless human abandoned her. She's more loyal and loving than any dog I ever had before. Save a shelter mutt, forget expensive pure breeds and designer dogs!
I'm pretty sure I will (when I can actually manage a dog!) That or a staffy (most dogs in shelters in the UK are staffies or staffy crosses). There have been a few really sad tv shows about both abandoned dogs and the dark side of purebreds.

For those in the UK, this is a really interesting documentary: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cqp75/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed_Three_Years_On/

I didn't know about most of the diseases they discuss here, and I know a fair bit about dogs.

Also, yay for you! I'm glad you gave her a good home.

Fatboy_41

Jan 16, 2012
weirdsoup said:
Though you've not mentioned them in the list, I'd go with a labrador. They're incredibly smart dogs who are massively dumb at the same time. Though you have to be careful because they'll eat you out of house and home if you give them the chance. We had to put child locks on our fridge and cupboards because the lab we had worked out how to open them
Shit, don't do that. Half the people that get Labradors go blind...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Crenelate said:
And yeah, I'm a fan of bigger dogs. Small ones are annoying. I like my dogs looking like dogs.
Now, this is a terrible misconception, though admittedly one encouraged by teacup dogs, ridiculous pampering of obsessive owners and, of course, media attention.

While some small breeds admittedly display a lot of energy, like the jack and parson russel terriers, in a healthy environment with a complementary owner, they should maintain a friendly and relatively calm disposition.

Small dogs often wind up with owners who are incompetent because of their size; yapping and biting and signs of distress can be easily ignored when you can easily overpower the creature. Big dogs on the other hand, are a blatant threat and are much more likely to be gotten rid of at early signs of behavioral issues.

Small dogs can be just as brave, loyal and as intelligent as their larger counterparts. In fact, some smaller dogs are even more intelligent or longer lived than their larger counterparts, such as the miniature schnauzer to the standard and giant breeds. (according to general tests and age averages, of course)

That being said, there's nothing wrong with having preferences with breeds, but dismissing a majority of dogs out there over inaccurate stereotypes just does them no justice.

That being said, I would personally go for the Shiba inu. I could better handle the size of such an animal, and while the breed tends to be very headstrong, I prefer that sort of personality in a dog. I don't want a pet that's all too eager to please.

Bull terriers are not my cup of tea, my mother would be furious if I ever got a german shepherd and didn't have a very disciplined relationship with the dog, (she was bitten pretty badly as a child and is hyper aware of potentially dangerous large breeds) Samoyeds are a bit too simple and require a lot of grooming, and while I like malamutes a lot, they are a lot of dog, and I'm never planning on living in a climate that comfortably suits them.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I have a german shepherd so I'm biased toward having a german shepherd. My reasoning is that they tend to be smart, strong, loyal, and good family dogs.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Erana said:
Crenelate said:
And yeah, I'm a fan of bigger dogs. Small ones are annoying. I like my dogs looking like dogs.
Now, this is a terrible misconception, though admittedly one encouraged by teacup dogs, ridiculous pampering of obsessive owners and, of course, media attention.

While some small breeds admittedly display a lot of energy, like the jack and parson russel terriers, in a healthy environment with a complementary owner, they should maintain a friendly and relatively calm disposition.

Small dogs often wind up with owners who are incompetent because of their size; yapping and biting and signs of distress can be easily ignored when you can easily overpower the creature. Big dogs on the other hand, are a blatant threat and are much more likely to be gotten rid of at early signs of behavioral issues.

Small dogs can be just as brave, loyal and as intelligent as their larger counterparts. In fact, some smaller dogs are even more intelligent or longer lived than their larger counterparts, such as the miniature schnauzer to the standard and giant breeds. (according to general tests and age averages, of course)

That being said, there's nothing wrong with having preferences with breeds, but dismissing a majority of dogs out there over inaccurate stereotypes just does them no justice.

That being said, I would personally go for the Shiba inu. I could better handle the size of such an animal, and while the breed tends to be very headstrong, I prefer that sort of personality in a dog. I don't want a pet that's all too eager to please.

Bull terriers are not my cup of tea, my mother would be furious if I ever got a german shepherd and didn't have a very disciplined relationship with the dog, (she was bitten pretty badly as a child and is hyper aware of potentially dangerous large breeds) Samoyeds are a bit too simple and require a lot of grooming, and while I like malamutes a lot, they are a lot of dog, and I'm never planning on living in a climate that comfortably suits them.
You make really good points. A friend has a mini Schnauzer and it barks incessantly whenever anyone goes into the house, which seems to me like a combo of bad training and poor socialization. I always feel sorry for the dog though, because it must get so stressed out barking it's head off all the time.

I prefer the look of larger dogs, and the have the benefit of being able to withstand rough and tumble, massive cuddles and for making you feel safer when you're out on your own. If I wanted something small I'd probably just get a cat instead.

My mum is scared of German shepherds too, but my dad had a few as a kid so he loves them

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012

4 month old Puppysaurus.

If I get a dog. I want a mother fucking dog. Not a nasty, yipping, over energetic ugly little rat that my dog could swallow without chewing.

haz7dog3

Jul 5, 2011
Mr Cwtchy said:
Of your options, Malamute looks the best to me.

But we have a Border Collie at home, who essentially beats every other dog hands down. ^_^

The Collies are unequivocally the smartest breeds of dog, and the best looking (opinion). They are medium-sized, friendly and loyal but demand a lot in return.

Temperament and the needs of the dog are the most important factors that should be considered before taking on a life long commitment. My last dog was an Irish Terrier (also medium-sized) who had a lot of character. He had playfulness, intelligence and stubbornness in equal parts. His needs were a fraction of that of a Collie's. Though I would love to have another Border Collie, I know it would be selfish of me, as I know i don't have the time or space to fully stimulate and care for it. My first Collie demanded constant stimulation, and I dont think I will be able to provide such levels until im retired! (But thats me and my plane of existence...)

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
Erana said:
Crenelate said:

Thank you for saying that :)

Another thing to remember is that small dogs are, well, small. This means that everything else is big to them. A big dog may not feel threatened when you reach out to pet him, but to a little dog you're a freaking giant. It's scary, and most people don't know (for a lack of a better term) "dog manners." For instance, staring at a dog can be very threatening, because it's stalking behavior. If the dog doesn't know you, and you stare at him, he might think you're planning to strike. And if he's smaller than you, he may decide that acting tough is the best way to scare you off.

As for what breed I want, I love the idea of a Husky (and may need to look into those Malamutes), however ideas do not always match reality. They're beautiful dogs, but I don't know that I have the energy to take care of a dog that needs to run that much. If I ever am able to handle it, though, I'd love to get one and name it Togo :D

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
We have a West Highland Terrier at home, and he is one of the most calm dogs around... awlays has been! Unless he sees a bird on his garden of course..

Personally though I would get a Border Collie... they really are awesome dogs! Easy to train, and very well behaved! Also have a lot of personality!

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Not fond of purebreds, too many physical issues come with all that inbreeding. I'll take some form of labrador crossbred with larger guard breeds (at least 3 mixed), thanks. My current dog is a half-breed coon/blood hound, and she's also a halfwit. My dad's dog is a purebred Newfoundland, and he had weak hips and eye problems in his first year (aside from his frailties, he's awesome, though).
I think I'll go for a strong mutt next time.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Crenelate said:
I prefer the look of larger dogs, and the have the benefit of being able to withstand rough and tumble, massive cuddles and for making you feel safer when you're out on your own. If I wanted something small I'd probably just get a cat instead.

My mum is scared of German shepherds too, but my dad had a few as a kid so he loves them
In that case, I'd probably go with the stafordshire, or german shepherd, and possibly the malamute if you are in a good region for them and can manage to even find one. Shiba are also scarce outside of Japan and are generally expensive. And as I mentioned before, dogs with hair is a *****, so if you're prepared to deal with the shedding, going with fur will make your life easier.

Dec 14, 2009
Weimaraner is best dog!

You want to know the nickname of this breed?

'The Grey Ghost'

Best dogs ever, although I may be bias, since I have one.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Durgiun said:
German Shepherd. Smart motherfuckers. Now if I could get a hybrid between a GSD and a Lab, I'd be the happiest bastard on the planet.
Oh I dunno...they can be some of the dopiest dogs ever, still brilliant dogs.

On Topic: ooo I dunno... Either a German Shepherd or a Staffy, I love Staffys, brilliant dogs.

However if given the choice rather than picking one of the above...An Irish or a Gordon Setter, all the way.
Gordon:

Irish:

These aren't great pictures tbh, especially the Irish Setters. If I had access to my other computer I'd upload a picture of my two Irish Setters.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Weimaraner is best dog!

You want to know the nickname of this breed?

'The Grey Ghost'

Best dogs ever, although I may be bias, since I have one.
...that is the scariest looking dog ever.

its eyes, why are its eyes so far apart? Why are they staring in to the depths of my soul!? GET OUT OF MY SOUL!

...i mean uhh..yeah scary.