Poll: Dogs! Which would you want?

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
My first dog as a kid was a malamute (so cute, even if she bit people a lot), so I'd go with that or the samoyed.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
nice avatar....

but yeah, he/she look gorgeous...with me the more wolf life the better, hence why I love huskies and samoyeds

most others breeds I like, but I prefer them to have an actualy snout and pointy ears (you know witht the smaller ones)

I cant stand the way poodles look....

I also wish there was a breed that resembles Foxes..Foxes are awsome

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
Pembroke Welsh Corgi!!

I'm so looking forward to getting one. I've already got a name picked out and everything.

I'd also like a German Shepherd, but that's for a time when I have a house and not an apartment.

Edit:
loc978 said:
Not fond of purebreds, too many physical issues come with all that inbreeding.
That's not entirely true. The older breeds don't have as many issues as newer ones. This is why older, more stable breeds are considered fairly healthy as opposed to newer ones (when calling a breed new, we're talking breeds that have only exsisted a hundred years or less). All dogs have a genetic predispostion to various issues, and just because a dog is a mutt doesn't mean that they will be immune against certain conditions.

For example, if you breed two dog breeds that have a genetic propensity to get hip dysplasia, then the resulting dog will have a good chance of getting it too. This is actually a rather common ailment in larger dogs, so even a large mixed breed could be prone to this. A large mixed breed will also be susceptible to bloat, which just comes with the territory.

I'm sure smaller dogs have their issues, but admittedly, I am more familar with the ailments of larger dogs.

It is true that some cross breeding could result in fortified genetics, but keep in mind that this is also how we got a lot of our purebreds today. Most breeds resulted from mixed breeds, but it is only when breeding results in consistent pups that it is considered a breed. Once a larger genetic pool is created for a breed, and then allowed to diversify, the breed then becomes "stable" and the breeders can work on breeding out major issues. Admittedly, this takes a long time to do, but that is also why older breeds are more stable than newer ones.

As an example, the Pembroke Welsh Corgi (as I mentioned above, since I love them and have done some research) are fairly healthy. They have been around since at least 1107 A.D. Their biggest issue is they can get obese quickly, but this can be easily managed by not over feeding. They can get hip dysplasia and a few other things, but these aren't very common, and only appear if the parents of the pup had them too. So, they are an old, stable breed.

Shepherds, on the other hand, have only been around since 1899. They have a high chance of getting hip and elbow dysplasia, leading to arthritis, as well as a high chance of getting a spinal issue, and degenerative myelopahty, which is a neuroligcal disease. They can also get Von Willebrand Disease, which is common for this breed. But they are a newer breed, so they haven't had as much of a chance to breed out these issues. It will probably come with time.

The ultimate example of a stable breed is a Beagle. Genetic disease has basically been completely bred out of them. Purebred, but possibly the healthiest dog you'll have.

There will never be a perfectly healthy dog though. All dogs will have potential genetic problems, even mutts.

Wil213

A Hack
Apr 1, 2010
Ive always had cats... [Deploy Flame Sheld]
Tho Id have a Shiba and call it Hatch [Hatchico] Yes it is, an I am, that sad.
My nans Poudle [now passed. The dog, not my nan...] was fun tho. Gentle and well trained. I alway thought that they were a nice bread to have. That compared to my mates dogs, bat-shit-bonkers!

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Malamute looks best out of your options. I like Siberian Huskies, Labs, and Pitbulls. I'm on my second pit and my second lab. And they are the sweetest little cuddle bugs....

we also have a small half terrier half chihuahua that is a yappy little thing. All of our dogs in one way or another are all rescue dogs. The larger two from a shelter and the yappy thing we got from ...i'm not sure. I just know it was an abusive home. She suffers from the large dog complex and bosses the two bigger dogs around which is hilarious. But since she likes to stand outside my window and yap because she wants in and my brother doesn't want the dogs in and wakes me up I want to pick her up like the american football sized dog she is and throw her.......I swear that dog has the most annoying yap. I like large dogs personally. They're a lot more fun to play with. And to walk.

DAAANtheMAAAN

Sep 5, 2011
Well... I didn't see Arcanine on the poll list, so I guess I'll stick with the mutt I have now.

... Though I've always been partial to German Shepard/Border Collie mixes. I've known three through my life and those are some of the best damn dogs I've ever encountered.

Jan 18, 2012
Heh, its kind of funny. I saw this forum in the ZP review of Fable 2 and all I could think when looking at the pictures was "OhwookitsadoogymashhisfaceandcallhimChips!" In all honesty, I'd go with the German Shepherd.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I've had numerous German Shepherds (4 and some temporary puppies), and I currently have 1.
I also currently have an American Pit Bull Terrier.

All things considered, I'd go with the APBT. Soooo much smaller and bouncier and doesn't shed like crazy. Mine is a ridiculously happy little goof ball of a dog.

Assuming the SBT is like the APBT, I voted for the Bull Terrier.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
If I wasn't lazy and likely to be stuck where I wouldn't have much room, I'd probably choose a Husky, or maybe that Utonagan mentioned above. Though for now I'd probably get a daschund. If you can train them, they can be pretty good. Main problem with them is they aren't afraid of much anything. I've seen one chase some labs away from the park. Not surprising, when you realize they were bred to go into badger burrows, bite them on the nose, then have the hunter yank him out by the tail, dragging the badger along with it. They're also hounds, which means they're content to just sit there with you, no 20 mile jogs required.

Jan 29, 2009
Welsh Corgi. And I also want a spaceship. And a space fighter that I shall call the Swordfish. I also want a cool friend/mentor with a robot arm. Maybe a Femme fatale while I'm at it.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Singularly Datarific said:
Welsh Corgi. And I also want a spaceship. And a space fighter that I shall call the Swordfish. I also want a cool friend/mentor with a robot arm. Maybe a Femme fatale while I'm at it.
Well played.
I actually just watched all of that the night before last...
Don't forget the cloudcuckoolander teenage genius hacker girl.

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
Out of the choices, I'd choose the Malamute. Big but not too big, and moderately fluffy. Only downside is the atrocious amount of shedding.

I prefer my dog but I might be biased there. He's a mutt of unknown breeds. We think he might be parts Yellow Lab, Husky, Chow, and German Shepherd. He growls like a Wookie when he's playing, which is almost too awesome for words.