Poll: Don't Play Their Games, Just Break Their DRM

Rick1940

Jan 11, 2010
versoth said:
Crack on, brother.

It's people like you that keep lazy people like myself from letting 1984 happen.

I've been saying for years that it's only the tinfoil-hat crypto-nutjobs who keep the masses safe.

Thank you for being one of them. I appreciate your work and your dedication to freedom.
Don't give me too much credit - I am a mere student compared to the real technicians at EFF.

http://www.eff.org/issues/drm

The EFF and like-minded folks are the ones who are *really* leading the fight.

Digital Rights Management (DRM) technologies attempt to control what you can and can't do with the media and hardware you've purchased.

Bought an ebook from Amazon, but can't read it on your ebook reader of choice? That's DRM.
Bought a DVD or Blu-Ray, but can't copy the video onto your portable media player? That's DRM.
Bought a video-game, but can't play it today because the manufacturer's "authentication servers" are off-line? That's DRM.
Bought a smart-phone, but can't use the applications or the service provider you want on it? That's DRM.
Corporations claim that DRM is necessary to fight copyright infringement online and keep consumers safe from viruses. But there's no evidence that DRM helps fight either of those. Instead, DRM helps big business stifle innovation and competition, by making it easy to quash "unauthorized" uses of media and technology.

DRM has proliferated thanks to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA), which sought to outlaw any attempt to bypass DRM.
If you have any interest in making a difference, I encourage you to listen to folks like the EFF.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
The ultimate dream of the content distributors who buy off congressmen (not generally creators) is a universe wherein you the consumer have no choice but to purchase things you've already purchased over and over and over again. This is how we get laws that had provisions for making backups but forbid you from breaking encryption, so it's technically impossible to legally make the backups you're legally allowed to make.

Screw those guys sideways with a poleaxe - the EFF, and the OP, have their heads on straight.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I just don't see the point of DRM, people are going to break it anyway if they have the know how, and those who don't can just get that know-how from the internet. What can they do, make the internet illegal?
Seems pointless, just adding more time to release dates, wasting months of some poor studio programmers work, and causing a bigger fuss over it. Your new triple-DRM coated bulletproof games are going to become easy-access torrents just like everything else, they just need to rely on their more decent customers to still buy the product. Could I have downloaded every Phoenix Wright game to date on DS? Sure I could. Did I go out and buy them all at Christmas?
Hell yeah I did. Shine on Capcom you crazy diamond.