Poll: Dragon Age origins - Who did you pick to rule?

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Anora. Originally, I just picked her since my Warden was sleeping with Alistair, but the more I think about it, the better choice it is. Alistair is cool and all, but he's not any kind of politician, there's no line of succession, and odds are 50/50 he gets killed. You'd have a weak king on the throne right after a major war and succession crisis. There'd be dynastic wars again.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Alastair and my Warden. I like to think Alastair would do all the hard work and she would go and fight darkspawn and stuff.
I hardened Alastair (lololol) so he should be a fine king. He's a good guy, that counts a lot I think.

xeyra

Apr 19, 2013
the hidden eagle said:
I picked Hardened Alistair with Queen Anora because they seem like the perfect choice to rule Fereldan.
That was my choice and reasoning too. It was heartbreaking, though, because my female warden got involved with Alistair and had to think of the bigger picture instead of her heart.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
the hidden eagle said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Alastair and my Warden. I like to think Alastair would do all the hard work and she would go and fight darkspawn and stuff.
I hardened Alastair (lololol) so he should be a fine king. He's a good guy, that counts a lot I think.
Not to mention the dialog during Alistair's DA2 cameo suggests that the Female Oueen Warden is the one who has the pants in the relationship.
My warden Charlotte Cousland, rogue is just such an awesome and badass character. I can imagine that she would be a very effective queen I love Dragon Age: Origins so much.
I hope DA3 is better than 2. :S

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I generally prefer picking Alistair.

He has proven that (despite the claims frequently makes throughout the game) that he makes a great ruler loved by all of Ferelden.

Plus, with Anora, she's a woman who potentially backstabs the Warden not once, but TWICE, for generally arbitrary reasons, despite knowing what's at stake, and seems to assume she can simply get away with it.

I bet she'd betray her own kingdom and subjects if it benefits her or keeps her from taking responsibility for her mistakes. Is that the sort of leader Ferelden needs?

With Alistair, you know you can trust him that you'll be protected under his rule. Plus he's more tolerate of mages and elves than most humans in Ferelden are and if you pick him, he takes some steps to improve lives for both groups when Anora I don't think has ever lifted a finger to so much as keep the nobles from bullying the Alienage Elves.

So you know with Alistair, he'll be taking action not just to keep the people of Ferelden safe, but also to improve their lives in whatever way he can.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
I tended towards Alistair as the ruler, as I found that while Alistair + Anora initially appeared the most politically welcoming option, it would be built upon a VERY rocky foundation. Bastard that he is, Alistair (hardened) had enough presence and wit to do the job in my eyes. Anora had only managed to prove that she was a snake who would find a way to seize power if it presented itself. Useful, yes, but merely perpetuating a repeated cycle of nobles generally mucking up political matters (thank you, Arl Howe).

In the end, it was about justice and honor. Alistair fought Loghain, beat him, and so the duty and consequences fell to him.

...that was a damn good game.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
I picked Anora, after trying and failing to get Alistair to marry her. I was amazed how much side eye their normally stiff faces threw my way when I suggested that. Ah well, picked up Loghain in the bargain, and found Alistair drinking away his tears in my favorite DAII moment.
Anora's just...well, infinitely more practical as a ruler. I like the stories of a man rising to power as much as any other, but Alistair just didn't sell me on his ruling talents.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Alistair and Anora because tehy each offset the others flaws though I feel like a dick for doing that to Alister.
If not the both of them just Anora. Don't really like or trust her but she has experience at least. Its suggested that she was doing much of the behind the scenes ruling in the first place. Plus she didn't back stab my character as far as I can recal. Through out the game Alister being repeatedly saying he doesn't want to be king and passing off all decision to you (I know he has to do this despite being the senior warden for the game to work but they actually made that a part of character rather than just hand waving it). I know he does fine in the end but he didn't seem like a good choice for ruler at that part of the game to me despite being a good guy. I figured with him as king he would probably just end up being a figure head for his uncle.

I actually think have the warden and him as ruler might be a bad idea because your going to die young and likely about the same time.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Anora, cause as nice as Alistair is, he's kind of an idiot, really don't want his ass on the throne, even if it is rightfully his

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
All combinations of Alistair on the throne. Either him ruling alone, him (hardened) with Anora, or him and my female Warden.

After Anora betrayed me, I always felt leaving Ferelden in her hands would ruin all my hard work in ten years. And if she's so intelligent and politically savvy, why couldn't she stop her father as Queen instead of letting him take over after Calian's death. I never understood why she waited until I took out her Father (or threatened putting Alistair on the throne) to want to take charge.

Also, she's just like her Father? Look where her Father brought Ferelden in his all-consuming fear of Orlesians.

And betraying me? Really? The girl that just rescued you from Howe and, apparently, your Father? Oh HELL NO. She's lucky Alistair wouldn't let me kill her too. >.>

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i felt bad forcing my friend and best tank into being king, when he didnt want to be. but i chose him anyway because i didnt trust anora to rule alone (and i felt bad enough forcing alistair to be kind, i wasnt going to force him into a marriage with someone he didnt love. certainly not one as crazy and power hungry as anora). i honestly didnt thank anora was that bad and i thought everyone was a bit harsh on her...but then when she betrayed me at the landsmeet, purely because she wanted to stay in power...well i knew i made the right choice. apparently her talk about how her father needed to pay for his crimes was only on the condition that she take his place. i had alistair spatter her fathers blood on her and then locked her in the tower. normally i have an overactive conscience, but i felt absolutely no guilt for that. fuck her.

also, her voice is apparent massively important if you want the landsmeet to end (semi) peacefully. i played before and had her and alistair rule together and easily won the vote. playing through a second time, right now. the only thing i did different was have alistair rule alone and the meeting ended in a bloodbath

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
TheKasp said:
No one. After the third time I had to run some shitty fetchquest and resolve shit I didn't care about after presenting my contracts I realised that this whole fucking land wanted to die. They wanted to die badly. So in my Dragon Age universe the wardens said 'fuck that bullshit', travelled out of this country and left everyone of those asshats to die (I never got past the dwarfen part, I really hate this repetitive linear bullshit where I have to fight dozens of the same enemies who lurk in small groups around every corner and never hear the dozens of AoE spells being cast on their allies. Fuck that, the only interesting part in the game was the Fade [and the only two instances where I understood why my help was actually needed]).
holy crap, i think you may be the only person in the world who loved the fade. that was by far my least favorite part of the game. thank god theres a mod that lets you skip it and pretty much just jump straight to the sloth demon fight