Poll: Dreamworks or Pixar?

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
This is totally not it, but I think it'd be fun to see whose better by popular vote.
I go for Pixar. Up is one of my favorite movies.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
I would say Pixar's the best of the three, but they are all really very good. I stand by my statement that most animated movies are better then 90% of real-time movies.

PS: I just realised that I have no idea if "real-time" is the correct nomenclature.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sorry my friend, but versus threads are frowned upon.

Anyway, I'll go for Pixar myself. They made a film that was one of the most emotionally touching one's I've ever seen (WALL-E), yet it barely had any dialogue. Call me impressed.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009

I prefer Pixar, they have only failed me once with WALL-E.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Pixar. A scene in Wall-E made me cry, not because of any sadness but just because it was so incredibly beautiful. And Up? Made me cry before five minutes had passed. Dreamworks, on the other hand, have made a total of one good movie: Shrek. Pixar makes grownup films that kids can enjoy, while Dreamworks make kids' films that they expect adults to enjoy.

I always assume that I'm going to enjoy a Pixar movie, the question is how much; but when watching a Dreamworks film, me liking it at all makes it unexpectedly good.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Pixar, they lead and the others try to follow, on every front from writing to technology.

El Poncho said:
I prefer Pixar, they have only failed me once with WALL-E.
Nooo that's my favourite!
Interesting though, WALL-E's a divisive one, I suspect the lack of dialogue in most of the film has something to do with it. Kind of a test for who is a visual and who is and auditory thinker...

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Pixar hands down. The characters are great, the story is great, I like the unusual themes, all in all their movies are just amazing.

Dreamworks on the other hand likes to mix both child and adult humor that unfortunately ends up not being funny or just looks awkward. Dreamworks also has a habit of "If it sells well than make sequels" And as MovieBob pointed out, every Dreamworks character has that same stupid smirk.

Wow this looks kind of biased but unfortunately thats what I think of the two. Pixar: awesome! Dreamworks: Meh...

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Interesting though, WALL-E's a divisive one, I suspect the lack of dialogue in most of the film has something to do with it. Kind of a test for who is a visual and who is and auditory thinker...

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.
Yes you are; I'm definitely more of an auditory thinker, yet I loved Wall-E. Because it's just awesome.
I think Up beat it, just for the emotional punch though. I cried watching that one...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
I think Up beat it, just for the emotional punch though. I cried watching that one...
Fair enough, I'll think a bit less.

As for UP, emotional punch... no, repeated emotional strikes with a Crowbar made of fire and Gordon Freeman's enemies? Still no, but not far off,

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Only two three films have made me cry: Gladiator, Band Of Brothers[footnote]Several Times, actually, but then it is very long.[/footnote], and Up!

This is going to be a walkover for Pixar.

Plus who can forget Doug!
Anyone who's known a dog knows what I mean!​