Poll: Dreamworks or Pixar?

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Pixar. Although i seem to be the only one who didn't like The Incredibles.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
*Puts up flame shield, and buffs up with the right to voice his own humble opionion*

I don't really like the movies by these companies, for some reason these kind of movies really get on my nerve. I also strongly dislike the movies by these companies, but then again, that might be because everytime I watched one movie by any of these companies, something bad has happened to me within 24 hours later. >_>

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Pixar, they lead and the others try to follow, on every front from writing to technology.

El Poncho said:
I prefer Pixar, they have only failed me once with WALL-E.
Nooo that's my favourite!
Interesting though, WALL-E's a divisive one, I suspect the lack of dialogue in most of the film has something to do with it. Kind of a test for who is a visual and who is and auditory thinker...

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.
Nope, you're definitely not.
It was probably the deepest, most emotionally invested animated movie I've seen and it had so much sould that I don't think even Up topped that.
So, yeah, not even a question. Not only do I adore WALL-E, but I fucking love everything else Pixar did.

RemSaverem

Aug 13, 2008
Gotta go with Pixar. More original plots, entertaining jokes. Everything I've seen of Dreamworks so far has been a bit too formulaic for my taste.
But that's my $0.02.

Apr 28, 2008
This isn't even fair.

Anything put up against Pixar is going to lose!

When the movies you've made are Toy Story and Monster's Inc. You win everything.

AlchemistMayCry

Nov 20, 2009
Pixar is like EA these days; they're focused on new IPs and milking only the old ones (Pixar's equivalent: Toy Story getting two sequels, and Cars getting a Cars 2 soon). Each one of their movies gets incredibly high reviews (ranging up to 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, the lowest being 75% for Cars), and each one is released at least 2-3 years apart.

Dreamworks is like Bobby Kotick: Milk the franchise until their udders fall off, and kill budding franchises if they don't bring in enough dough. Considering they've done four Shrek movies (and an upcoming Puss in Boots spinoff), two Madagascar movies, and pretty much helped kill traditional animation, they're not going to stop milking anytime soon. Only one of their films broke the 90% freshness mark on Rotten Tomatoes: How to Train Your Dragon (technically two others did, but those were both produced by Aardman Animation: Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit). There's at least one or two Dreamworks films a year.

To be frank, Pixar is superior. Their writing is better, they're not franchise milkers, and their characters don't make the same DAMN FACIAL EXPRESSION IN EVERY MOVIE.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Pixar, though How to train your Dragon by Dreamworks was great 1 vs 12 isn't gonna win

Red Right Hand said:
I would say Pixar's the best of the three, but they are all really very good. I stand by my statement that most animated movies are better then 90% of real-time movies.

PS: I just realised that I have no idea if "real-time" is the correct nomenclature.
You want Live-Action.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
El Poncho said:

I prefer Pixar, they have only failed me once with WALL-E.
You bastard! The second I saw this thread, I wanted to post that picture.

Anyway, Pixar, definitely. While I do like numerous of DreamWorks' films, Pixar has much more, and the general appeal to me is far bigger.

I liked Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, and Surf's Up, but definitely not really competition for the other two.

Oh, and if DreamWorks didn't have Shrek, it'd have a much tougher time challenging Pixar.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I'm on the Pixar bandwagon. Dreamworks have made some good movies. And Shrek was great. But You just can't fight Pixar. High Quality all the way. I haven't actually seen WALL-E or Ratatouille but all the other ones have been great.
Although *puts on flame retardant (hehe "retardant") suit* I didn't really think "Up" was that great. I mean it was great "emotional-heartstrings tugging" but the rest of it just felt a bit rushed. But I mean that being said; still head and shoulders over what other animation studios have done. :D

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Lucane said:
Pixar, though How to train your Dragon by Dreamworks was great 1 vs 12 isn't gonna win

Red Right Hand said:
I would say Pixar's the best of the three, but they are all really very good. I stand by my statement that most animated movies are better then 90% of real-time movies.

PS: I just realised that I have no idea if "real-time" is the correct nomenclature.
You want Live-Action.
That's the one! Thank you.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Pixar has NEVER made a bad movie. Dreamworks, Hit and miss.

Up, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, the list goes on and on...

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
DreamoftheEndless said:
Pixar is like EA these days; they're focused on new IPs and milking only the old ones (Pixar's equivalent: Toy Story getting two sequels, and Cars getting a Cars 2 soon). Each one of their movies gets incredibly high reviews (ranging up to 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, the lowest being 75% for Cars), and each one is released at least 2-3 years apart.

Dreamworks is like Bobby Kotick: Milk the franchise until their udders fall off, and kill budding franchises if they don't bring in enough dough. Considering they've done four Shrek movies (and an upcoming Puss in Boots spinoff), two Madagascar movies, and pretty much helped kill traditional animation, they're not going to stop milking anytime soon. Only one of their films broke the 90% freshness mark on Rotten Tomatoes: How to Train Your Dragon (technically two others did, but those were both produced by Aardman Animation: Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit). There's at least one or two Dreamworks films a year.

To be frank, Pixar is superior. Their writing is better, they're not franchise milkers, and their characters don't make the same DAMN FACIAL EXPRESSION IN EVERY MOVIE.
Your analogy kinda fails considerin EA is a bigger franchise whore than Activision is. Hell, their entire sports division is dedicated to releasin the same friggin game every single year. The closest Activision comes to that is the Guitar Hero series and the Call of Duty series.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
Let's see, Pixar has made Toy Story's 1&2, Monster's Inc., Finding Nemo, Cars, Wall-E, The Incredibles, Up, A Bug's Life, and Ratatoille. I end my statement there.