Poll: Driving games- Do people like them

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
The only realistic racing game I ever liked was Ridge Racer. I despised Gran Tourismo, and anything similar.

I like racing games with some kind of edge to them, like F-Zero, Mario Kart, and the like (never liked WipEout either), those kind of games I could play for hours.

Maybe if I used a steering wheel, it might make realistic racers more enjoyable for me.
The first Ridge Racer is the only one I would say had any degree of realism to it.
Well bear in mind when I say realistic I mean a racing game that doesn't have any outlandish twist on the standard vehicle racing formula.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
The only realistic racing game I ever liked was Ridge Racer. I despised Gran Tourismo, and anything similar.

I like racing games with some kind of edge to them, like F-Zero, Mario Kart, and the like (never liked WipEout either), those kind of games I could play for hours.

Maybe if I used a steering wheel, it might make realistic racers more enjoyable for me.
Games with an "edge"? Sounds more like you hate racing sims and tend to like games not based around horsepower and physics, has nothing to do with edginess.
Wrong choice of words. Games with a twist. Hell I explained it in another post a few seconds ago.

"Well bear in mind when I say realistic I mean a racing game that doesn't have any outlandish twist on the standard vehicle racing formula."

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I've never been a big fan of driving games in general. The only ones I enjoyed playing are ones that have a very loose interpretation of the word "racing", like Burnout or Mario Kart. The more realistic a racing game is, the less fun I have with it. I guess the simple goal of "Get from Point A to Point B before others" just doesn't appeal to me that much.

Player 2

Feb 20, 2009
The only racing game i've ever enjoyed was nfs most wanted and even then only the police chases.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
xmetatr0nx said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

Games with an "edge"? Sounds more like you hate racing sims and tend to like games not based around horsepower and physics, has nothing to do with edginess.
Wrong choice of words. Games with a twist. Hell I explained it in another post a few seconds ago.

"Well bear in mind when I say realistic I mean a racing game that doesn't have any outlandish twist on the standard vehicle racing formula."
Ah i see, sorry didnt mean to sound like a dick. By the way did you ever play the Zero-G games on the N64?
Nah that's fine. I didn't but I did play Extreme-G on the 64, unless that's what you meant. If it was I thought they were pretty cool, but the weapons were pretty vicious for a racing game, don't you think?

EDIT: I never played 3, was it any good?

P.S. Jesus-Jumped up Christ what do you think of the idea of that being on this gen's consoles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_G#Legacy

I'm still waiting out for F-Zero Wii, but I could do with that if it's done right.

Dessembrae

Feb 27, 2008
i generally find sports games to be the most pointless and boring kind of game that has EVER existed!
Racing games being the most boring of them all >.<

hell driving to work at 05:30 in the morning is more entertaining than ANY driving game i have ever played(witch unfortunately is quite a lot, i blame my brother for that -.- always bugging me to race him...).

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I love em. Especially since I bought the Logitech G25 Race Wheel (playing a racer with a pad is a bad as playing an FPS with one, hence why I think many of the above dislike 'realistic'/ non-themed racers). But I'm incredibly picky with racers. I like arcade racers more than simulation i.e. Sega Rally, but they all appear to lean more over to the latter now. GRID was good, but I didn't like this buying cars molarky - why couldn't they have just given me a simple arcade mode ; ;

I'm looking forward to 'Fuel' at the end of this month, so long as I can try a demo first. There aren't enough arcade motorcycle games out there.

Also, I'd love to own Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, and it's my main reason for wanting a PS3 (although if 'Fuel' is that good I may not have to buy it).

Oh, yeah, and the old Wipeout and Rollcage games ruled also.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
xmetatr0nx said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
xmetatr0nx said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Nah that's fine. I didn't but I did play Extreme-G on the 64, unless that's what you meant. If it was I thought they were pretty cool, but the weapons were pretty vicious for a racing game, don't you think?
True the weapons were a bit much for that type of game, although in the first one they didnt seem to do much cept slow you down briefly.
EDIT: Whoops never mind.

ify_

Mar 19, 2009
I suppose there are two sides to this "racing game" coin. Personally I prefer the racing sim.* I like learning a track, memorizing the turns, figuring out how fast I can go into them, when I can brake late and dive deep. I enjoy refining my line over dozens of laps and then waxing the competition. That's just what appeals to me. I also have a Logitech Momo wheel and I think that adds a lot to the overall enjoyment of any driving game.

As far as the other side of the "racing game" coin is concerned... Well...let's just say I'll leave the cars with guns for someone else to drive.

xmetatr0nx said:
Ive also been waiting for someone to finally make a decent F1 game, i think i might be waiting a while for that.
Funny, you took the thought right outta my brain! I read a few weeks ago that someone (sorry, can't remember who though for some reason I'm thinking EA) had won the rights to develop a F1 game that was supposed to be out sometime in '09. Like I said, I don't remember any details but I do remember thinking "Oh good, maybe there will be a fun F1 game this year!".

*as soon as I said "racing sim" I thought of the whole NASCAR game series. I think they overdid it on that game and made it more complicated than fun. So I guess I fall somewhere between sim and arcade...but I still want to drive, not shoot.

MiodekPL

Apr 5, 2009
I like those - from arcade GRID, through boring but fun Euro Truck to quite realistic GTR 2.
Oh - and I have a steering wheel :)