Poll: Dubstep. Music or not music?

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
It sounds like robots having sex

I would consider it music, shitty music, but music none the less.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nazulu said:
Doesn't make a difference, refusing to call something music is a personal belief. A fucking opinion. I'm not repeating the obvious again.
and this is my issue....opinions and belifs are subjective...[b/]definitions[/b] are not...

[quote/]Your first question doesn't make any sense. When someone refuses to call something music, it could be because it's just not melodic to them or not in a traditional sense. They could still even like it.[/quote]
look around this thread..the people refusing to call it music are generally the ones that [i/]loathe[/i] it

[quote/]As for your second question, heres a quote from you -
my original point was is why the need to "not call somthing music" I just don't get it..its as if saying "I dont like it" isnt enough...you have to go out of your way to hate on it.
And your making assumptions again, what a surprise. "Not the kinda things people say out loud", well shit. You must have been talking to him somewhere else to catch he was implying that he's an elitist. Give it up.[/quote]

ok...ok I can see how [i/]"it isnt music to me"[/i] is different to [i/]"it isnt music"[/i] in the former the "to me" indicates (as you said) that to them its just noise...I still don't agree with not calling it music because of because of a personal feeling..but I get the reasoning behined it

I still get the feeling there are some who refuse to call it music because they have their heads so far up their own ass they wont ackowlege anything they don't like (and no I WAS NOT implying Redrhyno was in this group)

[quote/]I'm not going to even bother after this. From what you just said to Redrhyno, you really have no idea. You're just one of those sensitive preachers that should be ignored.[/quote]

I dont give a fuck if people do or don;t like dubstep....it just baffles me that people feel the need to play fast and loose with definitions

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Grant Hobba said:
I studied music for a few years... loosely dubstep is music but my personal opinion is if the instruments are not under these categories, it is not music, the classes are Wind(including voice), Brass, Percussion and stringed.
so the electronic genre isn't music? I don't understand that at all

(as somone said) by that logic your avatar isnt really a picture

and ANY genre of music is heavily affected by artificial means if it isn't performed live...

FunKing

May 17, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Yes, even though I may not like pretty much all of it.

However I do like the song that was on the Doomsday trailer for Borderlands 2 that Daystar posted.

Here it is in full

lol i have to say the song rocks while watching your avatar...

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Like all music genres, it really depends on the artist. I can't stand Skrillex though.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Music (noun):
an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and colour.
Of course it's music, just because it's not to your tastes doesn't magically stop it from being music. It's all those beardy 'Datz not METULZ!!!' metalheads that try and pretend any metal band they don't like exists in some separate genre.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Perhaps it doesn't qualify as music to some, that the term music is differed between listeners?

I think its music but its right on the edge of not being music and maybe not all of it is music either, depends on the creator and if they put any effort into making it good or just plugged 3 samples into a computer and hit the "make dub-step" button.

bchampnd

Apr 12, 2011
This is just of a retread of the old debate of whether ________ is art or not. Music is art in the form of sound (yes, there are better definitions but that's not the point I'm going for here).

Objectively, the answer to the question of whether ___________ is art/music or not is simple: yes, _________ is art/music. The subjective question - whether it has any artistic value - is open to debate.

This debate happens pretty much whenever a new genre/style of music becomes popular. If you're in your 20s or 30s, when your parents were growing up, rock wasn't music to your grandparents, it was just noise. When your grandparents were growing up, jazz was probably noise to their parents. To my parents, rap isn't music, it's just noise. The older generation says ______ isn't music but what they really mean is that it is music, they just don't don't like it and don't understand how anyone else could.

Eventually, all of these genres/styles get accepted by most of society as music but they're often met with resistance from older and/or closed-minded people at first.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I wouldn't know, I've never heard it.

Whenever someone tried to play it, their speakers broke and weird shitty noises came out.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Music can be defined as organized sound and silence. Dupstep meets that requirement. You may not like it, but it is music.
No one ever said music had to appeal to everyone... Though that hasn't stopped the music industry from trying to generically appeal to as many people as possible.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
So many people in this thread are taking the piss out of electronic music based on their periphery knowledge of what the genre sounds like, and in complete and gross ignorance of the process of actually creating it.

I've been making amateur EBM productions in Ableton Live for about half a year now, and everything I've learned and practiced in that time has yielded results that I'm largely embarrassed to show to anyone that isn't/hasn't already gone through the process of learning to effectively use a DAW, because how do you explain to someone outside your world that you've been sitting in front of your computer for ages struggling to manage and arrange sounds that aren't nearly as pleasing as the small amount of electronica they've already heard and dismissed altogether? Making electronic music (dubstep, electro, house, et al) is incredibly involved and technical, and making pleasing sounds has taken AT LEAST double the time, effort and understanding required of me when I was 14 and learning to play guitar. Six months after I picked up guitar, I could play riffs and licks that would get peoples' heads nodding as they said "oh yeah, I know that one!". Six months after I picked up electronica, I'm still messing with songs that sound poor and incomplete, because I'm still wrapping my mind around drum structure, mastering, writing in-key, harmonizing, synthesizing and equalizing the smallest elements, layering, and a trillion other things required to just make the smallest things sound decent enough to ignore, let alone to sound great.

It's popular to shit on electronic music because sitting in front of a laptop and programming a song doesn't have the romantic appeal of holding and playing a physical instrument, and also because it horribly undermines the "only the chosen" mystique that so many musicians like to claim; it's stupid to shit on electronic music because making something original, pleasing and musical is markedly harder than doing it via methods that most people are familiar with. The knowledge of your hardware/software that is required of you before you can put soul and feeling into a noise via switches, lights and knobs is immense. Then you must coordinate it with hundreds of other factors including music theory and engineering, all the while pouring creativity and your heart into it. Then, maybe, when you've got all of this down, you can put out a completed song that next-to-nobody's interested in listening to because they want to stick with what's familiar to them.

...but the potential is limitless, and the results can cut straight through to your heart, so I'm not giving up until you can hear machines singing beautifully with all the heart, soul and life a man can possibly breathe into them.

(Fun fact: this song was produced with the same software I'm sinking all my free time into. And yes, it's dubstep, you just gave up on the genre before you found the good stuff.)

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
It's an annoying kind of music, but it is music.

I find it kinda sad though that the only time I find it not painful to listen, is when it's played for parody.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Of course it's music. Any arrogant douche that says electronic music can't be music because it's made with a computer is just plain wrong. Producing electronic music takes just the same dedication and skill as any other instrument. Hell, most bands have multiple members that pool their collective knowledge of music together whereas a producer has to compose entire songs all by himself. Sitting for hours at a time fine tuning the songs and having to come up with unique melodies or else it's just another generic electronic song.

I might not be a fan of modern dubstep (Burial all the way for me) but I respect the good producers. Especially Skrillex. He may not have the greatest music but he's probably the most unique sounding one when all the others are interchangeable. Seriously, when you KNOW a Skrillex song when it comes on. The rest? I'd have to look it up.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Remember when the olds questioned whether that newfangled rock was music?
Then,
Remember when the olds questioned whether that newfangled metal was music?
Then,
Remember when the olds questioned whether that newfangled hip-hop was music?
Then,
Remember when the olds questioned whether that newfangled techno was music?
Then
Well, guess where we are now? The never-ending cycle repeats anew.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Tragedy said:
Music is about artistry, creativity, knowledge and performing a piece with grace and skill. I'd compare dubstep to a child's drawing, it's still a *painting*, but you wouldn't put it in an art gallery ;d (average child, not some wunderkind)
I like the way you put it, and I agree. I've heard some dubstep that is really really close to just noise though. Maybe it was the equivalent of a baby's first scribblings.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Personally I like Dubstep, most of it, anyway.

Even if I didn't, it's still music. Just because someone doesn't like it or it isn't the kind of music they're used to doesn't change the fact that it is a genre of music. That's like arguing that Persistence of Memory:

Is not art when compared to Michaelangelo's David:

Simply because they are of different genres.

Just as I wouldn't compare Johnny Cash to Slipknot and argue if the other were music. Most dubstep has a beat to it, and even in the WUB's there is a sort of fluidity to its motion.

darth gditch

Dark Gamer of the Sith
Jun 3, 2009
Of course it's music!

I just happen to dislike the vast majority of it and not think of it as a particularly engaging or meaningful kind of music.