Poll: Dubstep. Music or not music?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yes it is real music and it kicks ass too. It's no harder to find good songs in dubstep than it is in any other genre. It is easy to make, yes, but it is hard to make it sound good. All electronic musicians need to know their musical theory and there is no exception for dubstep.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Dubstep is music, indubitably so.

But is it good music? That is the real question here.

The people who don't like dubstep will surely say it is not music. Though, let's be realistic, it is. It's merely a rather unique form of music.

I am not really much of a dubstep fan myself, but to answer the question, it is music.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
The only correct answer to the question in the poll is yes. Dubstep is either music or not music. There is no third option. This is why sentence structure and grammar are both very important. To answer the question I'm sure you meant to ask, yes Dubstep is music whether or not you like it.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
It's music. Horrible, ear destorying music that all sounds exactly the same, even when compared to other electronic music, but music.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Yep, it's music. Not my personal cup of tea, but I can't denounce its status as music because I don't like it.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
rvbnut said:
My friends and I have been having a heated discussion whether dubstep is actually music created by musicians or if it is just a bunch of noise mashed together by people with too much time on their hands.

So, what do my fellow escapists think of dubstep?
It can be both. Dubstep is definitely music. The problem is that, because its so easy to make compared to other genre's, There is A TON of shit dubstep out there. Good dubstep is not easy to do. Bad dubstep is.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Do I think dubstep is music?

You're going to post that song a million and a half more times before that game comes out aren't you?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Dubstep as a concept, an idea, a theory is absolutely valid.

However, since it really does seem to be about random kids playing around with illegal copies of some very specific and quite powerful software, there's an above average quota of redudant crap out there. Of 200 random tracks, about a dozen are 'interesting' and less than half a dozen are anywhere near 'art' or 'good'. The rest is rather uninspired and masturbatory.

I really don't mind boys and their toys as long as they come up with something that's worthwhile. Coil, Autechre, pimpin' Aphex Twin, Manchester Bedroom Allstars - they're all but boys with toys, but some fiddled together something that will touch your soul and tear your third eye a new one, the majority of gnats currently assembling on the sticky paper labelled Dubstep are really just forgettable, ephemeral, one-drop wonders. Hell, look at that Skrillex kid. He's pretty much the VHS of a scene that could easily encompass everything from Laserdisc to Betamax to BluRay... yet we're stuck with Skrillex and the suits buy into the hype. Sad, that.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
rvbnut said:
My friends and I have been having a heated discussion whether dubstep is actually music created by musicians or if it is just a bunch of noise mashed together by people with too much time on their hands.

So, what do my fellow escapists think of dubstep?
Isn't "a bunch of noise mashed together by people with too much time on their hands" sort of the definition of music? I mean in the most basic form.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Oh, it's music alright. Why so many people seem to think ist the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Dubstep...is a Sub Genre...of another Subgenre >_>...Not a fan in particular..when it coems to electrona music i prefer Industrial.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Of course it is music. People like different music, some like a perfect singing voice, some like hitting pots and pans together. Who is anyone to say what music is or isn't?

Plenty of old gents would go to a young adult club in some booming downtown city and not conisder that thumping club music, actually music. Dubstep isn't far off.

I guess its kind of a new type of music and our generation are the old geezers that don't like it?

I don't think dubstep is far off from club music, in fact is seems to be becoming the new club music, especially if you live in the same city deadmau5 is from, which I happen to do.

If someone says something isn't music or art, I have everyright to lose respect in them. They can however tell me they do not like that type of music and tell me why they don't like it. I would respect that.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
GoaThief said:
I think it's because nustep (dislike the term brostep, it's not exactly accurate) has largely got big thanks to the internet and the USA's re-embracing of electronic music in general.

Of course it's music, you may not like it -I'm not a big fan of nustep- but it's certainly not anything else but music. It'd be more interesting to hear if people regard the following as music;

Absolutely; the seeming randomness, the chaos get trapped in repetition and arrangement.

I come from classical music and punk; my current pastimes and pick-me-ups mostly involve all sorts of guitars, heavy riffs and the occasional heavy drop. But sometimes it's got to be digital and well distorted, as, when well done, those frequencies will tickle you in places you either didn't know you had or considered to be dead.