Poll: Dubstep. Music or not music?

MyOpinionIsBetter

Aug 2, 2012
Let me check the wikipedia definition of "music" -
"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music
Dubstep fits that definition, it's music.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
omega 616 said:
On topic. When I was at school we were taught about musical instruments, among which was not the decks or the computer! It takes absolutely fuck all skill to make dubstep, all it requires is money for the equipment and a taste similar to everybody else's (or a majority at least).
For a start, nearly all music made on computers is played in on a keyboard. No, not a typing keyboard, a musical keyboard (specifically a MIDI keyboard). A few producers use other instruments as well, such as MIDI guitars and one of my University tutors even uses a MIDI flute! So, while it's not strictly necessary to do so, most producers can and do play an instrument to make their music.

Secondly you still need skill in order to compose music, not just play it. Just because you like a style of music does not mean you know how to write it and, honestly, how many local bands have you seen who are technically good at their instruments but write terrible music? To imply that the only skillful element of music is in the performance is just blatantly wrong; music is a creative art just as much as (perhaps more than) it is a performance art.

Thirdly, you don't seem to realize just how much music is made on computers now. Many videogame and film soundtracks, even orchestral ones, are frequently done using samplers and synthesizers on a computer. Jeremy Soule composes this way quite a lot, guess that means his soundtracks took no skill to make, right?

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
It's music. Every single dubstep song I've ever heard has made my ears bleed and spine curl, though, so you can safely say that I think the genre is fucking awful and a disgrace to humanity, but it's still music.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
omega 616 said:
You could have just described anything from the chatter of a waiting room to the cars passing on a motorway to the sound of typing in an office ...
Yes, we could've. Funny you mention it.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Tropicaz said:
It depends. In my opinion, the decideing factor about whether a person is a musician or not and therefore whether or not they make music is this.
Go to a concert of theirs. Are there; a) instruments making noise, or b) is it some bloke sat with a laptop clicking play? If a) it's music, if b) it's not.
So, what you're saying is, the composition has fuck all to do with whether or not something is music only whether or not the creator is a performer?

Again, music is also a creative art. There is MUCH more to it than performance.

Besides which, I've never attended a gig, electronic or otherwise, that consisted of the performer doing nothing but "pressing play on a laptop." I can't imagine anyone would even get away with that.

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Music? Yes. Music that I listen to and think is good? Fuck no (although in fairness, I've heard 1/2 songs that I find tollerable)

II2

Mar 13, 2010
White Lightning said:
GoaThief said:
I think it's because nustep (dislike the term brostep, it's not exactly accurate) has largely got big thanks to the internet and the USA's re-embracing of electronic music in general.

Of course it's music, you may not like it -I'm not a big fan of nustep- but it's certainly not anything else but music. It'd be more interesting to hear if people regard the following as music;

What the hell was that?
Merbow is the best known and (arguably) most influential "noise band" (just one guy) in Japan and, possibly, worldwide. The Noise 'music' scene typically draws influence and audiences from disparate genres such as music concrete, industrial, indie/shoegaze, extreme metal and psychedelic rock. It's bands focus on explorations of atonal and often chaotic sounds via any and every instrument and non instrument sound equipment available, often using elaborate configurations for guitar pedals, home made instruments and electronics.

/literal answer

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Yea it's music; I can see why some people might think otherwise because of the lack of instrumentals and vocals, but this is just another way to make sounds to a rhythm. I'm not all that knowledgeable about how dubstep is made, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it than mashing sounds together, I'm sure the bigger artists have some sort of knowledge of music theory and such.....right?

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
flaming_squirrel said:
Got to love the number of people in this thread stating their own biased opinions as fact.
It sort of gets redundant to preface every post with "in my opinion"; it's fair to assume that most people posting on topics like this have no idea what they're talking about (myself included).

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
omega 616 said:
Pandalisk said:
"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence"
You could have just described anything from the chatter of a waiting room to the cars passing on a motorway to the sound of typing in an office ...

On topic. When I was at school we were taught about musical instruments, among which was not the decks or the computer! It takes absolutely fuck all skill to make dubstep, all it requires is money for the equipment and a taste similar to everybody else's (or a majority at least).

You could spend 1,000 hours perfecting the "song" then all you have to do at a live performance is press play.

I define anything as art (or in this case music) as something which takes skill to do, such as playing a guitar in time with everybody else in the band. Take art for example, I wouldn't consider a white canvass with different coloured horizontal stripes art 'cos any fucker can do that! I would call the Mona Lisa art 'cos that is a skillful thing.

The only exception I have to dubstep not being music is beardyman, who does something called live looping. He makes a sound, records it, loops it makes another sound, records it, loops it, layers it over the first sound, then repeats till he has a full song going.

That takes skill to do! This isn't live looping but it is harder to do.

By those standards, this isn't music.

Neither is the picture in that video an actual picture, because it was made on the computer. Your definition of what art is is pretty flemsy and close-minded to say the least. While I'll admit most music that people say they like today takes very little skill to perform or compose, there are still well done dubstep songs out there.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
GoaThief said:
I think it's because nustep (dislike the term brostep, it's not exactly accurate) has largely got big thanks to the internet and the USA's re-embracing of electronic music in general.

Of course it's music, you may not like it -I'm not a big fan of nustep- but it's certainly not anything else but music. It'd be more interesting to hear if people regard the following as music;

I think an entire other thread would be needed to debate whether or not that is music. I for one like it, and would even say it has artistic value to it, but due to lacking plenty of things that make music what it is, am a little less certain as to where it would fall, if not in its own area.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Of course it's music, anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
I still voted no, because I'm an asshole and I hate dubstep.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yes, even though I may not like pretty much all of it.

However I do like the song that was on the Doomsday trailer for Borderlands 2 that Daystar posted.

Here it is in full

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
If you can hear it, and it has the slightest shadow of rythem and beat to it then... yeah, it's music.

Personally, I can barely hear the beat through the hot transformer on transformer action, though.

I really don't get the appeal to it at all.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Go see AraabMUZIK. My buddy has just hated dubstep since the beginning. I convince him to go see an AraabMUZIK show and he quickly changed his mind.

There's always something glorious about seeing someone absolutely crush an MPC.

Parivir

Jul 20, 2009
GoaThief said:

Music... eh maybe?
does it need to be in a indie horror game... definitely. shudder