Poll: Empire Total War Factions, Which will you play as?

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
With Empire total war right around the corner, I was wondering which of the so far announced factions you were looking forward to playing as. Personally I look forward to playing as the Ottoman Empire, mainly because I have been facinated by their history for a long time. I also look forward to playing as America.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Haven't even heard of this game, but if I do get it, Russia as always will be my first pick.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Excellent question. It's probably a toss up between France, Spain, or Austria.

Although Great Britain is usually an easy first campaign to try out, since they're basically isolated. So maybe I'd go with that, just for the sake of trying to figure the new content out.

mcgooch

Jan 24, 2009
Prussia for sure. Just because I've never played as Prussia before and their relatively interesting.

wrightofway

Sep 30, 2008
I will play as Great Britain just because I played as the English faction first for both Medieval games.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Prussia is tied for first with Russia? Huh. Not what I expected. Though they did have those cool spike hats.

I'd probably play as America, just because the nature of the Total War series hasn't had my peeps as a playable faction yet. But I think I'm going to need a new computer to play it, so wah wah, forget it.

:(

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I tend to like playing as the Dutch in any Enlightenment-era game, so I'll likely go with them, although as a born-and-raised New Englander the revolutionaries of the States are always an option.

karpiel

Apr 18, 2008
Either Brits, Ottomans, or the French. It would be neat to see how well the game emulates things like Ottoman land strength in Eastern Europe, or allow us to keep the ancien regime in France.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
TheBluesader said:
Prussia is tied for first with Russia? Huh. Not what I expected. Though they did have those cool spike hats.

I'd probably play as America, just because the nature of the Total War series hasn't had my peeps as a playable faction yet. But I think I'm going to need a new computer to play it, so wah wah, forget it.

:(
Prussian's were badass man.

People like to give props to Wellington for Napoleon's defeat, but let's be honest here: If the Prussian's hadn't have worn the French army down earlier and hadn't shown up when they did, Napoleon would have kicked Wellington's ass so hard his grandchildren would be walking funny, and that's even WITH the fact Napoleon supposedly spent half the battle of Waterloo delirious from pain from various health issues.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
The Madman said:
Prussian's were badass man.

People like to give props to Wellington for Napoleon's defeat, but let's be honest here: If the Prussian's hadn't have worn the French army down earlier and hadn't shown up when they did, Napoleon would have kicked Wellington's ass so hard his grandchildren would be walking funny, and that's even WITH the fact Napoleon supposedly spent half the battle of Waterloo delirious from pain from various health issues.
You're probably right, but I never really got into Napoleonic history, so I don't know. All the guys I knew who were really into it sat around playing Risk all the time, making obscure history jokes I didn't get, and then making fun of me for not getting them because I was supposedly into history too.

I also know those people get as nerd-ragey about 150-year-old points of discussion as American Civil War buffs, and it's just as sad as console fanboys flaming at each other.

So to avoid the stupid, I'm not going to comment on whether Napoleon was awesome on his own or had help. Except to say, if Superman had been around back then, the whole thing probably never would have happened.

And I think we can all agree on that.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
You are up to a disappointment then.
I hope i can choose from the baltic people :p

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
TheBluesader said:
So to avoid the stupid, I'm not going to comment on whether Napoleon was awesome on his own or had help. Except to say, if Superman had been around back then, the whole thing probably never would have happened.

And I think we can all agree on that.
Puh-Leese, Superman sucks! He's like the equivalent of a hero cheat-character. Besides, everyone knows that wherever Superman goes Kryptonite pops up all over the place so that villains may use it to cause dramatic tension. Napoleon would have totally been all over that stuff and he'd have his Grognards kicking Superman around within minutes for fun.

:p

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
The Madman said:
Puh-Leese, Superman sucks! He's like the equivalent of a hero cheat-character. Besides, everyone knows that wherever Superman goes Kryptonite pops up all over the place so that villains may use it to cause dramatic tension. Napoleon would have totally been all over that stuff and he'd have his Grognards kicking Superman around within minutes for fun.

:p
LOL, Napoleon has Grognards. But now that I think about it, you're right. If Superman was back then, Lex Luthor probably would be too. Hell, he'd probably be Napoleon. Because if Lex Luthor was around then, you just know he'd try to take advantage of Europe's screwed up political situation to conquer the world. Because then he could also get all the cakes [http://pictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/lex-luthor.jpg] he wanted.

What if Batman was back then? What would he do? I should start a thread...

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
TheBluesader said:
LOL, Napoleon has Grognards. But now that I think about it, you're right. If Superman was back then, Lex Luthor probably would be too. Hell, he'd probably be Napoleon. Because if Lex Luthor was around then, you just know he'd try to take advantage of Europe's screwed up political situation to conquer the world. Because then he could also get all the cakes [http://pictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/lex-luthor.jpg] he wanted.

What if Batman was back then? What would he do? I should start a thread...
Batman = Sherlock Holmes style character. Duh!

And Napoleon 'invented' the word Grognard. You know those big old french soldiers you always see in pictures with huge furry hats, thick mustache and a mean look on their faces? Grognards. The word itself actually is french for 'grumbler' because the Old Guard soldiers used to complain so much.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
The Netherlands of course thats the greatest civilization the world has ever seen.

By the way your topic titel = "Which will you play as?" it should be "As which will you play?"

chunkynut

Feb 3, 2009
Alas I'm going for Great Britain (as I'm English) but I don't think they'll be as easy as the other games (as isolated anyway). The colonies are far flung and naval might was everything to Great Britain at anypoint before ... well 1960 lol.

I truely cannot wait for this game, I've been playing the series since Shogun and I bought a new PC recently pretty much just so Empire will run full spec!

Edit: The title should have been 'Empire: Total War, what faction will you play as?' and 'Empire: Total War Factions, as which will you play?' wouldn't sound right.