Poll: Epic Poll of Epic Proportions: Coke vs. Pepsi

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
that's why i reuse my plastic water bottle and fill it with tap water, cause not only is tap water safer for you to drink (it's gov regulated, bottled water isn't) and has also been treated properly to remove the crap in it
Oh, and tap-water is good source of fluoride, so yeh.

Oh, and on the debate, gnaw sums up my view.

- A procrastinator

EittilDratsab

Dec 9, 2007
Pepsi.

But Diet Coke is the best. Coke flavor without waiting 2 hours for the fizziness to go away. Bleh, feels like acid on my teeth.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Pepsi is superior, only because of the sacred nectar that is MOUNTAIN DEW.
Mountain Dew is the be all, end all of carbonated beverages, and I am drinking one as we speak at 8:23 in the morning.

Coke... is alright. It tastes way too sugary. Diet Coke tastes sort of weird too. I'm a bit jaded though, I suppose. The campus I live on is a Coke-only campus, and so when I get my hands on a Pepsi product it's like a rare treat.

The next epic poll would of course be, DIET or REGULAR Coke/Pepsi? My vote: Diet, because it contains Aspartame, a derivative of crack-rock.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
werepossum said:
If I remember this correctly, floride is a class of flourine compound, not a specific substance. (Literally an ionic form of flourine, but being a halogen it's highly reactive so it's never actually floride, but a floride compound. Think clorides or bromides. Halogens are also used in lights.) And some florides can be very deadly. But I think the compounds they add to municipal water are probably milder than the clorine added. I *think* it is absorbed by and strengthens enamel rather than killing or inhibiting bacteria. But I may be remembering that wrong.
As one of the poor fools currently floundering in Organic chemistry, I can tell you that just because something has Fluorine in it, doesn't make it poisonous. For instance, I'm sure many of you cook on TEFLON pans, and all teflon is is polymers of repeating carbon-carbon backbones with two fluorines attached: (CCL2-CCl2-CCl-2) N times. That's not to say you should ever, ever EAT Teflon. Or if your cheap teflon pan starts to bubble and flake off you should keep using it, due to said risk of eating it.

Elements in the pure form have entirely different properties than elements bonded to say, carbon, and then they have completely different properties if they are bonded to water. And then, the organization of molecules gives them different properties.

Then there are things like chirality. Molecules can be left or right handed, and the two versions react differently with your body. For instance, the receptors in your nose that you use to smell things are chiral, so the left handed molecule smells differently than the right handed molecule. Or, your body uses only a specific handedness of glucose if I remember my Biology correctly, and the other glucose makes the tough indigestible outer covering of plants. Or there was a drug I read about released many years ago to prevent morning sickness, which was an even mixture of right and left-handed molecules. One had the desired effects, the other caused rampant birth defects.

In short, I know nothing about the fluorine in the water, but just telling me there is a halogen in it that is poisonous in its pure form says absolutely nothing. Sodium, in its pure form, explodes violently if you expose it to water. Chlorine, in its pure form, is a gas that will put a hefty burn on your lungs and respritory system if you were unfortunate enough to breath it. But salt, sodium-chloride makes everything delicious.

Also, there's also probably trace amounts of Ecoli in the water, but that doesn't kill you either.

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
I like both pretty much equally. In cans anyway, in bottles I prefer Coke as Pepsi seems to taste somewhat dull in bottles, for some reason. Maybe it's my imagination. >_>

I must say, having a neutral stance on this means I can just buy whichever is on special. Hello savings!

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
I'm from Maine, so it's got to be Moxie. Even though it tastes like a mix cigarette ash and motor oil.

werepossum

Sep 12, 2007
Uszi said:
werepossum said:
If I remember this correctly, floride is a class of flourine compound, not a specific substance. (Literally an ionic form of flourine, but being a halogen it's highly reactive so it's never actually floride, but a floride compound. Think clorides or bromides. Halogens are also used in lights.) And some florides can be very deadly. But I think the compounds they add to municipal water are probably milder than the clorine added. I *think* it is absorbed by and strengthens enamel rather than killing or inhibiting bacteria. But I may be remembering that wrong.
As one of the poor fools currently floundering in Organic chemistry, I can tell you that just because something has Fluorine in it, doesn't make it poisonous. For instance, I'm sure many of you cook on TEFLON pans, and all teflon is is polymers of repeating carbon-carbon backbones with two fluorines attached: (CCL2-CCl2-CCl-2) N times. That's not to say you should ever, ever EAT Teflon. Or if your cheap teflon pan starts to bubble and flake off you should keep using it, due to said risk of eating it.

Elements in the pure form have entirely different properties than elements bonded to say, carbon, and then they have completely different properties if they are bonded to water. And then, the organization of molecules gives them different properties.

Then there are things like chirality. Molecules can be left or right handed, and the two versions react differently with your body. For instance, the receptors in your nose that you use to smell things are chiral, so the left handed molecule smells differently than the right handed molecule. Or, your body uses only a specific handedness of glucose if I remember my Biology correctly, and the other glucose makes the tough indigestible outer covering of plants. Or there was a drug I read about released many years ago to prevent morning sickness, which was an even mixture of right and left-handed molecules. One had the desired effects, the other caused rampant birth defects.

In short, I know nothing about the fluorine in the water, but just telling me there is a halogen in it that is poisonous in its pure form says absolutely nothing. Sodium, in its pure form, explodes violently if you expose it to water. Chlorine, in its pure form, is a gas that will put a hefty burn on your lungs and respritory system if you were unfortunate enough to breath it. But salt, sodium-chloride makes everything delicious.

Also, there's also probably trace amounts of Ecoli in the water, but that doesn't kill you either.
I didn't actually say or mean to imply that anything with flourine is poisonous, just that some florides are. My point was that I *think* the floride added to municipal water supplies are not added to directly kill bacteria and/or other critters, but rather to be absorbed and strengthen teeth. (I still haven't looked that up, so I might be wrong. When I last took a chemistry class, most people on this board weren't even born.)

Good luck with organic chemistry. I was never good even at regular chemistry, and listening to the horror stories I went and bought a text book on organic chemistry. Luckily EEs didn't have to take it, or there'd be a lot fewer EEs. I don't think I'd ever have made it through organic chemistry.

Sheppard

Apr 9, 2008
Aight, I have to say that I prefer Coke, because plus being the original, it has less caffeine in it than Pepsi, meaning it's not quite so bad.

P.S: I say "aight" because if any of you have played Saints Row, you'll know that Dex says that a lot, so I say it a lot, even though I'm whiter than a snowman with a bukkake fetish( to quote the words of Yahtzee, great gaming god of omni-potence).

bulletproof12

Feb 28, 2008
caseyday09 said:
Coke put Cocaine in it so I will go with Pepsi and it is cheaper. Also it is more powerful.
your argument AGAINST coke is they put cocaine in it?

and i laughed at the pulp fiction TV quote.

COKE FTW

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
I was raised on Coke, so it's Coke. I honestly reckon that that's the single most likely reason that we'd have a preference in this poll.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Pepsi just tastes so much better.

Sides... Coke has bastardized their drink so many times I shun them for their sins against beverage kind.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
Coke.

I cant stand when companies bash their competition's products to promote their own, even when they are truly better. I guess it's an underdog thing.

Also pepsi advertises way too much, which annoys me. I rarely see any coke ads at all.