Poll: Escapist Game of the Year

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Which game should take home the coveted game of the year award? There were many wonderful games this year, making it unusually difficult to choose a best. If your favorite game didn't make the list, do not fret. It just wasn't good enough.

Let the votes begin.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well if it follows the last thread, it went Horizon, Persona and Breath of the Wild were tied, and Hollow Knight was 4th as the distinct leaders.

I put Hob and Battle Chasers ahead of Horizon, which is the first option on the poll. Then Hollow Knight before my personal list gets a little more contested.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
From a previous thread on this:
Aeshi said:
I'm gonna have to say Persona 5, but goddamn it's close. So many good games this year, and so many of them could easily be GOTY in their own right!

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Prey easily.

Its a great game but if combat and enemy design was better. it could have been much better. but still best game released this year.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'm hesitant to say Everybody's Golf. That game is just simply so much fun. Persona 5 is another strong contender. The story and characters really drew me in and this has probably the best turn-based battle system of any JRPG which I didn't expect in an era in which developers are moving away from that. The game also had a visual flair that was pretty amazing. I also really loved Resident Evil 7. Played like a mix of Condemned and Outlast but also distinctly RE in the way that the house and surrounding areas felt like a 3D re-imagining of RE Remake. I initially loved Nioh but became disappointed due to excessive loot and lack in enemy and location variety and then ended up loving the game again simply for it's amazing combat and gameplay that still feels fresh even after dozens of hours. I also really enjoyed AC Oranges. Simply one of the prettiest open-world games ever made and the added weightiness of the animations and combat gives the game a much better feel than any of it's predecessors. Still though seeing 50 BC Egypt in such exquisite detail is a sight to behold. Wolfenstein 2 is another game I really enjoyed and that would be an otherwise worthy contender. Simply the best single-player FPS I ever played with an engaging story that mixed camp with extravagant characters and high stakes that meshed really well with the intense over-the-top gameplay.

Horizon Zero Dawn had really good combat and a unique set-up with these dinobots(not to mention amazing visuals) but I really didn't enjoy the 'tribal' story that they obviously put a lot of effort in and having to constantly gather resources to keep your supply of arrows also became a chore. The Evil Within 2 was also a game I was looking forward to but that ultimately disappointed. It improved on a lot of the gameplay mechanics of the original but without any of it's unique and eccentric qualities making the entire game a bit bland. More like a poor man's The Last of Us.

There were also 'smaller' games I really enjoyed like Little Nightmares and Momodora. So yeah, lots of really good games this year but me absolute favorite is probably a tie between Everybody's Golf and P5.

Mar 30, 2010
From that list? I'd say Cuphead. However, I would like to put forward some of my personal favourites from the last 11 months, namely Everspace, Aven Colony, The Long Dark and my overall favourite Thimbleweed Park.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Still need to get round to A Night in the Woods, it looks really charming and cute.

Otherwise, not much here that can help me claim gamer-hipster (eugh...but using 'game-hipster' seems even worse) status by promoting an unknown indie darling.
So headfirst I shall dive into predictable unoriginality with H:ZD...but with the sly motive to mention that this AAA game actually contains lootboxes of the randomised variety. Except they are not exploitative, for;

A. There are no mini-buys or second currencies to fleece further cash from your musty, weathered wallets.

B. They are awarded quite liberally in game, to the point where I only recently realised I had tons saved in my inventory from random side-quests and robbed corpses that haven't been opened

C. They are not tied to any progression and generally seem content to give you gear modifications at best, to crafting materials and literal rocks you can just pick up off the floor at worst. (Yes, I won't forget that tough hunting challenge 'prize' I worked intensely for ...not even mad, bro).

D. They are hardly ever brought up in game, advertised, pointed at, whatever...as with point B, I hadn't noticed their existence while playing.

E. This is a big budget game not using its' big budget status as an excuse to exploit paying customers with potential addictive behaviours. See, EA? Is it that hard? Is it that fucking difficult?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Persona 5 is my favourite game I've never played. Even cosplayed as the protag and will probably again, meanwhile I'm not sure I'll even buy the game or a PS4.

From what I've seen, those fucking menus, that fucking UI. Puts the vast majority of other games' graphic design to shame.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Gethsemani said:
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds. Fite me.
Take a deep breath and you know it's false.

OT: The only one out of those that I've played is Cuphead, and since I'm sure as hell not nominating Tekken 7, Cuphead it is.

edit: Judgment withheld regarding Getting Over It as it hasn't had a wide release yet.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Ezekiel said:
It's not even officially out yet. An early access game can't be GOTY.
Your logic is no good here... While I'd normally agree with you, I think that distinction is sort of silly to make when the game in question is the most played game on Steam by a massive margin. Right now there's 800k+ players in PUBG, DOTA2 comes in second with just over 500k, which means PUBG has more then 50% more players right now. If you look at peak players that's 710k for DOTA2 and a ridiculous 2,6 million players for PUBG. PUBG's peak today could fit the peak of both DOTA and CS:GO (510k) twice over and still have players to spare. That's absolutely astonishing success for any game, early access or not, and it deserves recognition for the fact.

So in this case I am ready to make an exception for PUBG, because the most played game on Steam deserves recognition for its' runaway success.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
+1 for Divinity: Original Sin 2.

I'm planning to buy a PS4 next year and I've already got the HZD Complete Edition reserved, so I guess that will do instead.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Gethsemani said:
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds isn't even the best SHOOTER of the year much less game.

It's a multiplayer shooter that promotes cowardice and passivity where the best way to win is the sit back and not engage. It's corner camping the game.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Dirty Hipsters said:
Gethsemani said:
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds isn't even the best SHOOTER of the year much less game.

It's a multiplayer shooter that promotes cowardice and passivity where the best way to win is the sit back and not engage. It's corner camping the game.
So a COD or Battlefield clone