Poll: Everybody, But Me Likes This Game...And I Hate Myself For It

mudE13

Jul 3, 2010
Now I know this isn't the most original topic, but I think I might have the right twist for it. I want to talk about the games that are considered great or even classic. You have tried over and over and over again to like them, but you just can't. Still every once in awhile you will try them again cause you keep on having that nagging in the back of your head saying, "Everybody else likes it...WHATS WRONG WITH YOU"!!! Here's my choices:

FALLOUT 3-Xbox 360 (Playing it right now, still on my first playthough with all the DLC, going to at least finish it)

DEAD RISING-Xbox 360 (Have tried multiple times to like this game, but I just can't)

METROID-NES (Yeah I know I will get some crap for this one, but not as much as the next one...)

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA-NES (I have played "Link to the Past" and "Twilight Princess" and have loved both, but I can't get the same feeling from the original)

So those are my choices. What are your games? Also I'm doing a poll to help me decide which game I should give one last chance.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
If it helps, I didn't like the Metroid, but Super Metroid is one of my favorite games ever. Metroid was insanely hard and they just hasn't nailed it yet.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I can understand. The first two are really "love-it-or-hate-it" games. The NES ones... well, sometimes classics don't age that well. If you don't like a game, you have the right to an opinion.

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
Fallout 3 is, out of that list, the only one I'd choose. Dead Rising is just exasperating as hell, it's only redeemable because of the amount of zombies in the screen, while Metroid and Zelda are only good for the nostalgia/classic value they have. Besides from that, they are far from unique, and haven't aged as well as other old school games such as, say, Contra.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I've taken half a dozen runs at Fallout 3 and every time it either bores me senseless or the combat system drives me to distraction. Still I expect I'll give it another go. Since I hate VATS maybe I'll try not using it, and just ignore the fact that I can decapitate people with pistol shots.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Fallout 3 & New Vegas will always be divisive. They present themselves largely as shooters (and it is a big portion of the gameplay, admittedly), but the actual shooting mechanics are terrible. For many people this is a non-issue, the game "is an RPG, not a shooter so it doesn't matter", but for others these mechanics can be a real turnoff even if they're familiar with the game's unfocused progression and stat/item management.

Dead Rising is, like Fallout, divisive. Some people just don't like the timer. Even those who do can't argue with the horrible, horrible, sub-PS1 quality AI. Massive difficulty spikes and slumps don't help either.

As for the NES titles, well, most games don't age well. There's a reason we don't use many of the mechanics, tropes and styles of the old 8 & 16 bit games anymore - it's because they're flawed. They're not enjoyable. They're no longer forgivable. Hell, it's not just the retro. Look at Resident Evil on the PS1. When it first came out? Revolutionary. Terrifying. Clever, exciting, addictive. Now? Boring. Terrible combat. Worse camera angles. Boring puzzles, dreadful backtracking, etc.

Zelda and Metroid may have been the pinnacle of entertainment for their time, but no one can deny their flaws show now more than ever.

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
At the end of the day your opinion counts. If you don't like a game then you don't like it and just because others like something doesn't mean you should. I would consider Fallout 3 one of my favourite games but it wasn't until a year after getting the game when I decided to give it another chance that I actually started to like it.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Either retry Fallout 3 or get New Vegas when it gets patched up, preferably the latter.

As for both NES games, while both were instrumental in the development of video games, they're still pretty trite when you get down to it. Link to the Past and TP are both fundamentally superior (even though the latter feels generic at points), so don't feel guilty at all, and probably play Ocarina of Time while you're at it. As for Metroid, Super puts the atmosphere into full swing while giving you a map, better power-ups (pretty important for a Metroid game), and generally being one of the best games ever.

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
I hate all those games as well. I don't understand why Fallout 3 got all those awards. No, I'm not one of those people who haven't even played a game but hate it because of a bad review or something. I gave every one of those games loads of chances, but they just started feeling like a chore. I felt I HAD to like them because everyone else did, but I simply didn't.

SarcasminBloom

Sep 30, 2009
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I played A Link to the Past and I loved it, but with Twilight Princess, I'm stuck. Everyone keeps telling me how amazing it is and how I need to beat it and OMFG WHY AREN'T YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW, but I just can't get into it. I'm stuck on this one part that I just CAN'T get past, even with a walkthrough. I don't find it as fun as past Zelda games, and so my desire to even finish it is diminished.

As for your list of games, I'd say retry Metroid on the NES. That game can be confusing as all hell, but oh so rewarding.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
I've yet to get into FO3, so you're not alone.
I wouldn't feel bad about not liking a game everybody else does.

Though with RPGs I'm often like that - I have a hard time at the start, but once the plot gets going, and I get some reasonable ways of defending myself, I get into it.

Maybe sometime I'll give FO3 a third chance. Most of the time I do have a habit of completing things I own, just because I own it. Doom 3 was like that when I bought the id pack ¬¬. Only really completed it because I started it.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Fallout 3; personally love it.
Dead Rising; tried really hard to like it but I just find it awful.
The legend of Zelda; It was an amazing game for its time but it?s very dated. It tried it before and thought it was ok but it?s a game I would never finish myself. I to love ALttP.
If you don?t like them, you don?t like them but give them all a last go.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Fallout 3

Dead Rising is eh

Metroid is an ambitious first attempt, but not really worth going that far back to play it. It's gotten better since then :p

Same for Legend of Zelda, Great if you grew up with it. ...Not so much if you didn't.

Out of all the games, Fallout 3 is the best experience, and I think it may be worth it to give it another go and just.....have fun. You can make your own plot or story, and just run with it. Pretend you're a gold fish in a robotic body. Only eat sugarbombs. >.> Really it's the little things that make the game great :p usually its DIY.

SarcasminBloom said:

I'm stuck on this one part that I just CAN'T get past, even with a walkthrough. I don't find it as fun as past Zelda games, and so my desire to even finish it is diminished.
...what part?

SarcasminBloom

Sep 30, 2009
oplinger said:
Fallout 3

Dead Rising is eh

Metroid is an ambitious first attempt, but not really worth going that far back to play it. It's gotten better since then :p

Same for Legend of Zelda, Great if you grew up with it. ...Not so much if you didn't.

Out of all the games, Fallout 3 is the best experience, and I think it may be worth it to give it another go and just.....have fun. You can make your own plot or story, and just run with it. Pretend you're a gold fish in a robotic body. Only eat sugarbombs. >.> Really it's the little things that make the game great :p usually its DIY.

SarcasminBloom said:

I'm stuck on this one part that I just CAN'T get past, even with a walkthrough. I don't find it as fun as past Zelda games, and so my desire to even finish it is diminished.
...what part?
The part with all the Gorons near the beginning. I have all the items and everything, I just can't get the timing right on the not dying when they roll into you. Pisses me off beyond belief.

bluekangaroo

Oct 28, 2010
I like the elder scroll series better than fallout 3. I just don't like Fallout 3, I get why other people like it, I get the whole consept of it, I just hate it.

Dead rising sounds like a pretty good zombie game, but I haven't played it yet.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
FalloutJack said:
None. Go get a PS3.
Please check your fanboyisim at the dooor next time. Thanks.

mudE13 said:
Now I know this isn't the most original topic, but I think I might have the right twist for it. I want to talk about the games that are considered great or even classic. You have tried over and over and over again to like them, but you just can't. Still every once in awhile you will try them again cause you keep on having that nagging in the back of your head saying, "Everybody else likes it...WHATS WRONG WITH YOU"!!! Here's my choices:

FALLOUT 3-Xbox 360 (Playing it right now, still on my first playthough with all the DLC, going to at least finish it)

DEAD RISING-Xbox 360 (Have tried multiple times to like this game, but I just can't)

METROID-NES (Yeah I know I will get some crap for this one, but not as much as the next one...)

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA-NES (I have played "Link to the Past" and "Twilight Princess" and have loved both, but I can't get the same feeling from the original)

So those are my choices. What are your games? Also I'm doing a poll to help me decide which game I should give one last chance.
I'm with you on Dead Rising, the save system is archaic and really gets in the way of me having a good time. The booss battles are also kind of....well bad (except for Adam the Clown).

If you haven't played Orcarina of Time in the LoZ series I strongly suggest you go play that. Twilight Princes is also great and you should give that anther chance.

As far as Metroid goes, I won't give you crap for not liking it. I think as video game players we often think we owe it to the old franchises to like them and speak their praises, but as with any game, if you don't like it, you don't like it.

Diablo27

Jul 18, 2010
Red Dead Redemption. Everybody loves it but I'd give a five or maybe six if I'm being generous out of ten. The ending was good though.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
At first I didn't get Fallout I just thought Oblivion with guns in the not future. Then I got a coupon to get the GOTY edition for 27 bucks on PS3. I've logged 80 plus hours on just my first playthrough. Never played the first Dead Rising but I beat Dead Rising 2. When I was young I wasn't too fond of Zelda and Metroid. Now I'm currently playing TP for GC