Poll: Fake Geek Girl Meme

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
My two cents: when a girl puts on thick-rimmed glasses and posts on facebook to say "Just played some Wii, such a geek LOL" then she deserves to be called a poser.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
LightningBanks said:
EDIT: I think yahtzee put it best, I can't find where he said it, but he basically said 'Some days I go out, some days I play games. I play games on the bus to pass the time. I may also go out and get drunk, or have a night in with my friends playing games. But I am not a gamer, or geek, I am a guy who plays games, and im a NORMAL person.
the problem with that though is there is too much subjectivity.....somone exactly like yahtzee could just as easyly call themselfs a geek/gamer

many people do because the feeling of belonging to a distinct group with a name and identity is apealing to many of us on some level

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
At first I was thinking, Who cares? There is always something to pick at.

Upon more thought it seems to be true behind every meme or stereotype there is normally some sort of layer of truth in there.

Seen plenty of women that do the whole "OMG I'm like such a nerd! Its like I put in my own hard drive in my computer and now its like overclocked!"

The meme was born from the posers who pretend like above to be something they are not just due to it being hip, its not just the women that do it mind you...

You see it has been happening for years before and it will happen in the years to come. Look at the "Punk" phase for instance.

The biggest problem with society to me personally these days is too many people are over sensitive about things... Think about anything long enough and it can be twisted to be Racist or Sexist.

Someone will take offence to something every time, the problem being being offended is subjective. What offends you may not offend me.

Some are offended by this meme, I'm offended by Minecraft fanboys xD but im not gonna create a ruckus :p

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Kouen said:
At first I was thinking, Who cares? There is always something to pick at.

Upon more thought it seems to be true behind every meme or stereotype there is normally some sort of layer of truth in there.

Seen plenty of women that do the whole "OMG I'm like such a nerd! Its like I put in my own hard drive in my computer and now its like overclocked!"

The meme was born from the posers who pretend like above to be something they are not just due to it being hip, its not just the women that do it mind you...

You see it has been happening for years before and it will happen in the years to come. Look at the "Punk" phase for instance.

The biggest problem with society to me personally these days is too many people are over sensitive about things... Think about anything long enough and it can be twisted to be Racist or Sexist.

Someone will take offence to something every time, the problem being being offended is subjective. What offends you may not offend me.

Some are offended by this meme, I'm offended by Minecraft fanboys xD but im not gonna create a ruckus :p
yeah pretty much this if your really going to get upset about something on the internet then maybe the internet isn't for you. become more hard shelled people the meme doesn't hurt you or kill your family.........but if it does then your ready to be a protagonist in a Anime

and plus its more so the posers on the facebook that do it mostly

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
matthew_lane said:
NightowlM said:
Uh. What the fuck? Just because you think those are all stereotypically feminine things doesn't mean that guys wouldn't feel welcome in just about any of those activities (except maybe the women's gym).
Actually i don't think they are hyper masculine, i chose this list based on articles i've read over the last 18 months, where men were kicked out of them due to a change in gender politics or refused basic entry at some level entirely due to gender.

Everything esle you said was just you strawmanning your own appeal to motive & as such i'm going to ignore.

CAPTCH: Garden of Eden... I don't think so Captcha.
I've read the same articles in a few cases, but since I think it would be demonstrative to some folks, care to cite some citations?

Also, I'd like to add more to the list, and I'm even going to cite one of them:

- Taking your daughter shopping ( http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/can-a-dad-take-his-daughter-clothes-shopping-and-other-indignities-of-modern-dadhood/ )
- Sitting in your assigned seat on a plane ( http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/7468866/Nurse-humiliated-by-Qantas-seating-policy )
- Shopping for gifts for your children or grandchildren in the children's section of a bookstore ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/omar-amin-grandfather-barnes-noble-childrens-books_n_1571412.html?ref=parents )
- Talking to local kids in a coffee shop (I can't seem to find this article any more, but it was originally posted on cafemom.com wherein a mother was being proud about having loudly and publicly accused a man of being a pedophile for doing exactly this, and used him leaving afterward as justification that she was right, because apparently you'll hang around in places where you've been publicly accused of being a pedophile if you aren't really a pedophile).

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
ThrobbingEgo said:
Stasisesque said:
Really?

How many physics students do you know who get chosen to go into space, or meet Stan Lee, or avoid being imprisoned for invading Stan Lee's home? Or are frenemies with Wil Wheaton? Or befriend and then seduce their hot, dumb-but-lovable neighbour? Or crash the Mars Rover and get away with it?

TBBT is a good show, but a documentary it is not.
That depends. Do engineering students count?
As Howard (one of the main five) is an engineer and is constantly talked down to by his peers for not being good enough, no. Unless that's what happens to them! :D

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Stasisesque said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
Stasisesque said:
Really?

How many physics students do you know who get chosen to go into space, or meet Stan Lee, or avoid being imprisoned for invading Stan Lee's home? Or are frenemies with Wil Wheaton? Or befriend and then seduce their hot, dumb-but-lovable neighbour? Or crash the Mars Rover and get away with it?

TBBT is a good show, but a documentary it is not.
That depends. Do engineering students count?
As Howard (one of the main five) is an engineer and is constantly talked down to by his peers for not being good enough, no. Unless that's what happens to them! :D
The university I went to was more engineering-focused than physics focused, but there have been shenanigans. (I'm a lowly liberal arts major.)

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Shdwrnr said:
As far as hostile geek circles, I think the best example is the MOBA scene. Doesn't matter what your race, gender, creed, etc is; you step into a game of League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, or Defense of the Ancients as a new player and just let the hate wash over you.
Oh man, I partnered up with a friend on my third day or so of LoL, which pushed me up into the "you should probably know what laning is" bracket. Some guy started ranting about me dying or something, so I turned on my poison trail [http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Singed_the_Mad_Chemist] and started running circles around him while asking how much Cheeto dust was currently being sprayed on his monitor. :/

It was everything I hoped it would be.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Memes are supposed to be funny.
That is not funny. That is depressing at worst and disturbing at best.
That is not supposed to be a meme.

I don't even want to say that meme's name.

KP Shadow

Jul 7, 2009
The people criticizing the meme seem to be missing the point. We're not making fun of people for not knowing some semi-obscure bit of information that a new fan would not know if they hadn't done research beforehand. We're making fun of people who go around wearing a shirt with the Batman logo on it, and then say "Um... I just think the logo looks cool." when asked who their favorite member of Batman's Rogues Gallery is. The joke isn't "OMG SHE'S A NOOB" it's "Hey, look at this idiot who thinks that just wearing because she has a Pikachu shirt she's a hardcore Pokemon fan, even though that shirt makes up the entirety of her exposure to the Pokemon franchise."