Poll: Fallout new vegas DLC: Do i need them all?

MADrevilution

Nov 2, 2010
Im a huge fan of Fallout New vegas, yes im one of THOSE people, dispite all its flaws and consider it equal to Fallout 3 in many ways but also lacking. For the last few days now ive been...well ive been bored beyond words and i got back into my old New Vegas profile. I got Dead money when it came out and found it okay but i still have to get Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, and The Lonesome Road. Now the thing is i only have enough money for two of them at the moment and i am unsure if i should play them in order, Honest Hearts then Old world blues then Lonesome road, or if it even matters? i know Dead money had slight references to Lonesome Road but i dont know what Honest Hearts or Old World Blues does. I have a slight OCD and that parts telling me to play it in order but i want the opinions of all you brilliant people on the escapist to help me with this! So in short - should i play them in order? and if not which two of the three remaining packs should i get? Thanks! :D

Edit: Thanks everyone! :D id respond to each of your posts but quite frankly im very lazy, but i think ive decided what to do, i am deffinitly getting Old World Blues, and as for HH and LR from what i hear HH has very little content in the type of way i play NV, might stick with LR or might just flip on it. Thanks for the Help everyone! :D

Edit Edit: Turns out i got very lucky! Honest hearts was only 400 points this week so i managed to get them all! thanks for the help everyone! :D

rockhard556

May 6, 2009
i'd like to know this aswell so that i should know wether i should get the GOTY (it's bethesda there will be one) or the regular

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
I don't recall any references in Honest Hearts to the others but you definitely want to play Lonesome Road last. It explicitly states that it's the last thing the Courier does before the Second Battle of Hoover Dam.

And I didn't like Honest Hearts very much so I'd say you can leave it out if you don't have the money.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Here's my 2 cents on them:

Dead Money:
Interesting location and characters, but a little bit too gloomy and the collar mechanic will make you want to punch a kitten

Honest Hearts:
Nice bright, cheerful, big area to explore, but the quests are dull and uninspired. Main character is interesting enough.

Old World Blues:
<3 <3 <3
The best Fallout DLC yet from both games. Absolutely amazing - huge area, loads of secrets to discover, a new home, great loot and dialogue that will make you fall off your seat laughing

Lonesome Road:
Linear and full of super cheap, annoying enemies, but the story is very interesting, the location is gorgeous and the main character reveals a lot about your origins.

All in all, OWB is by far the best but they all have their good bits.

And yes - play Lonesome Road last.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Good info in this thread, since I had set F:NV aside until all the DLC was out, and haven't got around to replaying it.
Now I gotta find some time to do it.

Delta Gier

Sep 27, 2011
It doesn't matter if you do them in order. But I would HIGHLY recommend Old World Blues. It's fantastic! And while it may have some disturbing, yet comical bits, it's definitely worth it.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
It really depends on your play style I think.

Honest Hearts is both the shortest and least interesting DLC of the group. The only notable items from it are the .45 auto pistol (with its mods, I find it to be the best silenced handgun) and its unique counterpart A Light Shinning in Darkness (if you take the grunt perk it becomes the highest dps handgun and it even benefits from Pack Rat if you like playing in hardcore mode), the Survivalist's Rifle (an amazing gun that also benefits from grunt, although it fires 12.7mm ammo), Joshua Graham's armor (a very solid light type armor for crit builds that use the Light Touch perk), and finally the Desert Ranger combat armor (the 3rd best medium armor set in the game, losing only to the elite riot gear and the gannon family tesla armor. Although the Desert Ranger helmet is a 5 DT weightless helmet which makes it useful for hardcore).

Old World Blues is overall a very well written set of content, very funny and a bit creepy. It has a full set of craftable skill books, a fair mix of weapons including the K9000 (basically a minigun that uses .357 rounds), and its upgrade FIDO which uses .44 magnum rounds, the LAER (a high dps energy gun), Christine's COS silencer rifle (a unique silenced sniper rifle as an alternate to the GOBI if you like stealth kills), the saturnite fist (the super heated version is pretty good if you take the pyromaniac perk), and the protonic inversal axe (an anti-robot/power armor melee weapon with respectable dps even against non-robot/power armor enemies). In the armor department we have the valence-radii hats which provide +1END and gives minor health regen, the hazmat suit and cowl (the suit alone gives 85% rad resist, aka the max you can have, while the cowl gives you nightvision), and the amazing stealth suit mk II (which, when fully upgraded, gives +25 sneak, +1 PER, +1 AGI, +20% movement speed when crouched, and automatic use of stimpacks and med-x. you can get addicted to med-x this way and the stimpacks used this way do not make use of your medicine skill. Also, if you get poisoned by a cazador the suit will use a stimpack and heal the poison.) This DLC also comes with several additional implants that are not restricted by the normal implant limit. You also get 3 free perks just by going into Big MT, plus you get access to the GRX Implant perk which gives you free daily doses of non-addictive turbo. It also gives you access to several new traits at character creation. Skilled (+5 to all skills at the cost of -10% XP gain, you level fast enough that the penalty doesn't even matter) and Logan's Loophole (locks your level cap to 30 but you will never get addicted to anything) are the best of the bunch.

Lonesome Road adds one final set of skill books (yay min-maxing). It also has upgrades for ED-E turning the little eye-bot into, arguably, the most useful companion ever. It grants you craftable auto-use stim/super-stimpack and auto-poison cure recipies, a bitter drink recipie, and rushing water which gives a 50% attack speed boost (does not affect automatic fire weapons) for a few seconds and is non-addictive as far as I can tell. For weapons we get the blood-nap (a unique knife that can do even more damage and dps than chance's knife plus gives +10 sneak), the fist of rawr (a legit deathclaw gauntlet), 2 more unique grenade rifles, an actual rocket launcher (not missles, rockets), old glory a melee weapon with average dps, a nail gun (which can do respectable dps to low DT targets), the industrial hand (an auto-attacking power fist that ignores DT/DR and puts out high dps), and the amazingly silly, yet effective, shoulder mounted machine gun (it uses 10mm rounds to amazing effect. has high damage for an auto-fire weapon and puts out high dps to boot. It can only be repaired with copies of itself, even with jury rigging, so make sure you have repair kits for this baby). As for armor you can get a slew of nice medium and heavy armors, most notably the elite riot gear (with matching helmet it gives 28 DT, +5 crit chance, +10 guns, +5 speech, + 2 PER, +1 CHA, and sneak sight) and the scorched sierra power armor (24 DT power armor with +1 STR, 25 fire resist and HP regen of 2HP per second). For light armor you get your choice of 2 dusters, one from Ulysses and the Courier's duster which gives different bonuses and gets a different look based on who you side with for the final battle. A fair warning though, 3 of the perks from this DLC will be unattainable without all 4 DLCs as they require you to be level 50.

If you enjoy skill maxing then I'd recommend getting OWB and LR. With the addition of the skill books from the two plus the skilled trait as well as the comprehension and educated perks you can actually max all skills with an INT of 1. Of course with some simple math you can find plenty of ways to skill max with several other INT scores. Honest Hearts really is the worst of the DLCs. You get no skill books, the least interesting content, the least amount of content, and only a handful of worthwhile items.

Each DLC is tuned for characters of a certain level or higher. Dead Money is for 20+, Lonesome Road is best done at 25+, and Old World Blues can be done as early as 15+. Oddly, Honest Hearts can be done at nearly any level. I've managed to beat it by going in at level 8 (and doing every quest). The only thing I noticed is that the enemies had rather high HP for their level and my guns were not that great against them at first. It turned into cake once I got my first .45 auto pistol though. As for playing things in order, Dead Money and Old World Blues have some intertwined story bits and Lonesome Road is hinted at in OWB and DM. Honest Hearts is the odd duck out as it is not mentioned anywhere else in the Mojave or in any DLC, nor does it make mention of any other DLC. So if you are looking for story, then I once again have to say that you should avoid Honest Hearts at this point.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot HH has one single line vaguely mentioning Ulysses. So noteworthy a connection I totally forgot about it. =\ (sarcasm if you didn't pick up on it)

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
hyzaku said:
Honest Hearts is the odd duck out as it is not mentioned anywhere else in the Mojave or in any DLC, nor does it make mention of any other DLC. So if you are looking for story, then I once again have to say that you should avoid Honest Hearts at this point.
Joshua Graham, "The Burned Man", is never mentioned anywhere in the Mojave, and neither is New Canaan?

OT: Honestly, I would be a bad person to ask, I loved all of the DLC for different reasons and can't really recommend certain ones while leaving out others.

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
Right now, you may want to just go with Honest Hearts and Old World Blues.

That way, if you are concerned with story flow, you can get Dead Money and Lonesome Road later. Which, Lonesome Road feels more like something best suited for the end anyways. I was personally not a fan of Dead Money, and kept asking myself when it would end. Yeah the Sierra Madre is cool, but it is only one place with little diversity.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
hyzaku said:
Honest Hearts is the odd duck out as it is not mentioned anywhere else in the Mojave or in any DLC, nor does it make mention of any other DLC. So if you are looking for story, then I once again have to say that you should avoid Honest Hearts at this point.
Joshua Graham, "The Burned Man", is never mentioned anywhere in the Mojave, and neither is New Canaan?

OT: Honestly, I would be a bad person to ask, I loved all of the DLC for different reasons and can't really recommend certain ones while leaving out others.
Not as far as I've seen in my playthroughs, though I have not yet done a Legion run. HH has no reprecussions in the Mojave and no narrative link to anything else in either the vanilla game or the DLC other than the Legion. If there were any references to HH it might be in a Legion playthrough. Although, if you have killed Ceaser when you go into Zion, you can tell Joshua that Ceaser is dead. That is the only interactivity I've seen between HH and the rest of the game.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
Caligulust said:
Right now, you may want to just go with Honest Hearts and Old World Blues.

That way, if you are concerned with story flow, you can get Dead Money and Lonesome Road later. Which, Lonesome Road feels more like something best suited for the end anyways. I was personally not a fan of Dead Money, and kept asking myself when it would end. Yeah the Sierra Madre is cool, but it is only one place with little diversity.
OP already has Dead Money. As for story, Honest Hearts has no narrative connection to the rest of the game. Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road all have several bits of interconnecting story.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
hyzaku said:
ChupathingyX said:
hyzaku said:

Not as far as I've seen in my playthroughs, though I have not yet done a Legion run. HH has no reprecussions in the Mojave and no narrative link to anything else in either the vanilla game or the DLC other than the Legion. If there were any references to HH it might be in a Legion playthrough. Although, if you have killed Ceaser when you go into Zion, you can tell Joshua that Ceaser is dead. That is the only interactivity I've seen between HH and the rest of the game.
Its written all over the walls, and mentioned by the Legion. Hell, Joshua graham and New Canaan was part of Fallout lore for nearly 10 years.
Which walls precisely? I'm not saying it isn't part of Fallout's lore, only that it has minimal noticeable connection to the story of the Mojave or to the story of the other DLCs. I stated in a reply to another post that I have not yet done a playthrough where I sided with the Legion, so if the dialogue in that branch of the game has any references to HH then I have not seen them yet. "Joshua used to be in the Legion" was explained in the HH opening cinematic and is hardly worth considering a narrative connection to anything outside of the Legion itself. Furthermore, the events of HH have literally no impact on the Mojave. That is the point I was originally making.

daunchy

Oct 4, 2011
Just parroting the consensus: Old World Blues appears to be the only "must-buy"--it feels a little too much like Fallout 3 for my taste (lots of run-down buildings, few non-hostile characters, and lots of useless crap items everywhere), but it's still head and shoulders above Dead Money and Honest Hearts. I have Lonesome Road but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The only things I liked about Honest Hearts were the Survivalist's journals, the recipes, and the War Club (it's ri-goddamn-diculous with Slayer and 10 Agility). The Survivalist's story is seriously well written, hands down some of the best writing I've ever seen in a video game. Joshua Graham was a big, fat letdown though, and Honest Hearts just doesn't have much content at all.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I just played Honest Hearts again and still love it (actually, I like it better than I did the first time. I made some different choices and got to know Joshua Graham better. He's not the letdown I thought he was). I love roaming around Zion, and I'm not even usually an exploration guy. It's second to Old World Blues, though.

Dead Money has a good story and characters, but it is full of terrible gameplay mechanics. You should do Lonesome Road last. It is foreshadowed to some extent (very heavily in OWB) in every other chapter and brings some many to a close. It's also hard. While OWB had some bullet sponges, Lonesome Road has equally tough enemies who can also kill you in one or two hits.

I'd say you should go through it like this:
1st: Dead Money OR Honest Hearts
2nd: Whichever one of the above you didn't do first
3rd: Old World Blues (word of advice: don't underestimate Stripe)
4th: Lonesome Road

Another piece of advice: At least the first time you go through all this content, make sure your character has the Wild Wasteland trait. It's use in Old World Blues is fantastic.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Joshua is called the burning (or burned) man by slaves, and one wall is located in the gas station garage near the Mojave Outpost.
Ah so I've missed all of 2 references by not reading everything scrawled on the walls when most of it is throw-away text and by not listening to voice clips from legion slaves that I've spent virtually no time around. Awesome, always good to learn something. Still doesn't connect the story of HH to the rest of the game, but I will bow to your vast knowledge of Joshua Graham references.

Do humor me though, where exactly are these slaves that speak snippets of Joshua? I'm always interested to find little references like this in games, but I can only think of the slave pen in Cottonwood, the powder ganger slaves in that slave camp, and all of one slave I recall seeing in the Fort after murdering all the legion there. Considering my lack of Legion run experience I've spent probably less than a minute or two anywhere near these places. The gangers don't say anything, and the cottonwood guys I only recall asking for freedom. Saw the Fort slave once and was there for maybe 3 seconds so I never heard anything out of her.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
hyzaku said:
Ah so I've missed all of 2 references by not reading everything scrawled on the walls when most of it is throw-away text and by not listening to voice clips from legion slaves that I've spent virtually no time around. Awesome, always good to learn something. Still doesn't connect the story of HH to the rest of the game, but I will bow to your vast knowledge of Joshua Graham references.
Joshua Graham is very important to the story. He was with Caesar when he first created the Legion and became the first Legate; Malpais Legate. He was the one who led the Legion at the battle of Hoover Dam and was responsible for their loss. After that Caesar has him set on fire and thrown into the Grand Canyon, after which there were reports that he was still alive and the myth of the "Burned Man" was born. If you go to the Fort and actually talk to people instead of just going on a rampage you will discover that the "Burned Man" is a big part of Legion society and is one of the things that Caesar is dead afraid of, so afraid that he banned everyone from ever mentioning The Burned Man's true name. Lucius and Vulpes give you information on him, as will Legate Lanius during the final battle.

Do humor me though, where exactly are these slaves that speak snippets of Joshua?
The Fort, not just slaves, the legionaries mention him many times, and like I said before, so do some of the higher ranking members of Caesar's Legion.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
hyzaku said:
Joshua Graham is very important to the story. He was with Caesar when he first created the Legion and became the first Legate; Malpais Legate. He was the one who led the Legion at the battle of Hoover Dam and was responsible for their loss. After that Caesar has him set on fire and thrown into the Grand Canyon, after which there were reports that he was still alive and the myth of the "Burned Man" was born. If you go to the Fort and actually talk to people instead of just going on a rampage you will discover that the "Burned Man" is a big part of Legion society and is one of the things that Caesar is dead afraid of, so afraid that he banned everyone from ever mentioning The Burned Man's true name. Lucius and Vulpes give you information on him, as will Legate Lanius during the final battle.

Do humor me though, where exactly are these slaves that speak snippets of Joshua?
The Fort, not just slaves, the legionaries mention him many times, and like I said before, so do some of the higher ranking members of Caesar's Legion.
Yes, I listened to the HH opening. I know all that info about him already. As for talking with the legion, I actually hate them. Genuinely, I detest the Legion and their attitudes towards many things. I have yet to feel any desire to not murder Ceaser and his entire lot. I may work to it at some point, just to see the content. At least I know where all those references ended up now.

Thanks for the info.