Poll: Fanboys or Anti-Fanboys - Whats worse?

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Alssadar said:
I dislike both:
Fanboys: Everything I like is correct and you have to be stupid not to realize it-- let me rub it in your face until you understand.
Anti-fanboy: Everything you like is wrong and you have to be stupid not to realize it--let me rub it in your face until you understand.

Parallelism is a useful literary tool for comparing similarities.
Yeah, this basically. Everything in moderation people! Live and let live! The only things that really bug me are transformers and twilight. Because people keep giving it money so more of it is made and it is POISON.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
What annoys me most is the anti-fanboys who are actually fanboys themselves...for example all the battlefield and cod fanboys constantly flaming each other.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
As both a Brony and a Mass Effect fan, my opinion may be just a little biased, but I have to say Anti-Fanboy.

The reason I believe this is that, when dealing with regular fanboys, it easy to avoid them, they crop up in certain discussions, and certain forums. ones that, if you know what to look for, are easy to avoid. Oh you will come across them accidentally from time to time, but if you tell them, "I totally respect that you enjoy [insert object of fanboy's love]," they will usually leave you alone. However, on the opposite side you have the Anti-fanboy, someone who has such a deep loathing of something, that they feel the need to hunt down every discussion they can find about said object, and insult or otherwise try to invalidate someone's enjoyment of it, usually by spouting the same goddamned argument over and over again.

Just take a look at any Mass Effect or Pony thread on any forum, there will always be someone who took the time to click on the thread, knowing full well what it was about, for the sole purpose of trying to insult the people who -dared- to enjoy something they didn't. Because, as we all should know, they are the ultimate authority on what is acceptable to like, right?

In conclusion, I picked Anti-fanboy because they are unavoidable, you can avoid or appease a Fanboy. but the only way to get rid of an Anti-Fanboy is to not like whatever he is hating on, and since -everything- that has something someone likes has an opposite person, the only solution would be to hate everything.

Hmm, got a little ranty, but I stayed on topic, so I'll leave it.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
anti-fanboys i find are far more annoying as there only state of being is that of hate while fanboys can at the very least enjoy their show enough to say stuff about it and i can be down with that.

unless we tip the scales into extremity, then i hate both sides

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
Either extreme gets very annoying. Damn them both.

[sub][sub]Moo! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9iIgQN5uZE][/sub][/sub]

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Truly going to have to go with "anti" being the worse... More often than not, they judge things by the cover, and they almost ALWAYS go by hear/say. Given a certain subject, you'll notice they will all have the same argument. Really makes me feel that they can't think for themselves.

Granted I hate certain things myself, but at least I've given said things a chance and figured out WHAT IT WAS that made me dislike them. However, I'm not going to go about bashing some one over the head just because they were able to look beyond the faults and found joy out of it.

That's what really makes it ridiculous. People spending their precious free time sitting around trying to piss others off by telling them what they like to spend their free time on is nothing but shit.

That shows nothing but a lack of understanding on the subject, and more or less, insecurity. Really at the end of the day it's no ones damn business what you decide to do with YOUR free time. So when some one tries to belittle you because you found joy in something they didn't. That's truly pathetic.

((Twilight and Justin Bieber are exempt from this rant... 8D))

lokicdn

Sep 10, 2010
How about anybody who can't manage to discuss things with people they disagree with, without a modicum of decorum and maturity? There has never and will never be anything in the realm of video games that should cause so many people to go off on hate filled rants.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I have to say anti-fanboys, just because of Zeel. Anybody who has been on any of the Mass Effect 3 threads knows who I am talking about.

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
I voted both.

There are the people who hate everything popular purely because its popular, and the people who like anything popular purely because its popular. Both are idiots.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
krazykidd said:
What the hell is an anti-fanboy? I'm guessing it would be the opposite of a fanboy , meaning a normal gamer?
A troll more or less.
You know trolls get a bad name, all they want to do is live under a bridge and be left alone (and eat the occasional human who tries to cross said bridge)

OT everyones different, the problem with that is when you love something you don't want to hear someone saying its crap, however you have no problem in moaning when the tables are turned.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Both, equally, for the following reasons:

The Fan-Boy: will defend something to the death, despite possible obvious flaws. Frequently, they are unable to face these issues due to it having nostalgic or extreme sentimental value to them. At times, civil discourse is virtually impossible as they refuse to acknowledge any of your valid points.

The Anti Fan-Boy (Troll): can sometimes be so prejudiced against something without any real substantiation. Maybe they hate it because all their friends talk about it incessantly leaving them out of the social circle at times. Maybe they despise it because that's what they've been led to believe through 'trusted' reviews, peer pressure etc. Or they could just be dicks looking to incite anger amongst the masses.

Either way, they're a pain to deal with.

Alex Tom

Sep 25, 2011
I think of myself as a star wars and mass effect fan boy. However i understand people have different views and don't think everyone has to agree with me

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Thank God you included an option for both, or I might have ended up staring at that poll all day.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
They're both morons and I'd rather have nothing to do with either of them. Although the ones I really can't understand are the anti-fan boys, esp. the ones who take the time to familiarize themselves with every aspect of the game/movie/tv show/IP/franchise/whatever that they hate just for the sole purpose of hating it. What a waste of time and energy. I suppose props for not wallowing in ignorance, but I still have to ask why would you bother? For arguing online? Again why would you do this? After all it's only one of the most futile activities known to human-kind, second only to pushing a really freaking huge rock up a really freaking huge hill.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Lightning Delight said:
to explain why something is Jesus.
Dear sir or madam (checked profile!), I found this phrase very funny. Something is Jesus. I will most probably use that sometime in my life, so the least I could do is inform you that you made me laugh in this (for me) late hour.

I also agree with all your points and I voted for anti-fanboys. Fanboys just like something and they enjoy spending their time on it; it's their hobby and makes them happy. People love to be happy. Anti-fanboys actively go to destroy something to someone who loves it. Why would someone go amongst fans of something and tell them "What you like is shit and here are my well thought-out arguments that I spent much time on instead of enjoying something I like" is beyond me. I'm not against debates about games, movies, franchises or whatever; actually, debates are good. However, acting actively anti-fanboyish, and trying to tell someone that something is "objectively" shit is a somewhat dick move. We all have differing tastes and opinions; it's okay to share them, but no need to force others to agree with us. Fanboys are also guilty of this, but at least they think that you'll end up having an enjoyable experience with something they like.

I now publicly apologize for being an anti-fanboygirl of something and for annoying fans.

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
There's nothing inherently wrong with being a fanboy. You can still be a fanboy and a reasonable human being (although many aren't).

For that reason I chose anti-fanboys, their like the militant atheists of the gaming community. "We don't like what you like so we're going to go out of our way to try and make you feel shit."

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Anti-fanboys, because they think they're better. I think it was Yahtzee that said "the only thing worse than stupid people is smug stupid people", and the same principle applies here. Not to say fanboys/anti-fanboys are stupid, it's the principle.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Doesn't having a "both" option sort of ruin the purpose of asking which is worse? I mean, that's the one I picked because both are annoying, but still.

Although if I had to pick one I'd say the anti-fanboys. If someone enjoys something, let them enjoy it. Don't need to rag on 'em and bring them down, and the anti-fanboys from what I've seen are even more vitriolic and hate-filled than the fanboys are. And I really think the internet would be a better place if people just learned to live and let live more often.