Poll: Fanboys or Anti-Fanboys - Whats worse?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
RJ 17 said:
They're both a bunch of morons. A game will never be as bad as an anti-fanboy thinks it will be, nor will it ever be as good as a fanboy believes it to be.
The second statement is false by definition. A game is just as good as a fanboy believes it to be, as 'good' is subjective, and any games quality, whatever it may be, is exactly what made them fanboys in the first place.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Both of them....i cant date them if they have a penis! Bring me out the fan girls!....not the twitards either!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Only when they're REALLY annoying do I get anti-anti/pro-fanboy.

SEE: FF7 fans & most console/PC gamer xcorex types.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Anti-fanboys are definately worse. After all, fanboys can be...weird sometimes, but at least they're capable of enjoying the stuff they like. Anti-fanboys just exist to ruin other people's fun, and seem almost ashamed to show any other reaction that isn't "Haha fanboys, that thing you like totally sucks!"

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jadak said:
RJ 17 said:
They're both a bunch of morons. A game will never be as bad as an anti-fanboy thinks it will be, nor will it ever be as good as a fanboy believes it to be.
The second statement is false by definition. A game is just as good as a fanboy believes it to be, as 'good' is subjective, and any games quality, whatever it may be, is exactly what made them fanboys in the first place.
I was speaking in regards to everyone else. A fanboy will often glorify things that the general public doesn't really care about, and the same goes for the anti-fanboy: they'll often condemn things that really aren't that big of a deal to the general public. Thus, to the general public, a game will never be as bad as the anti-fanboys say it is, nor will it ever be as good as the fanboys say it is.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
They are about equal. I myself am a fanboy/anti-fanboy of a dozen things.
I think The Elderscroll has some of the best writing, story, lore in all of gaming. Every moment i play a TES game is one moment of joy :D

But i hate splinter cell D:< Its like a crappy Metal Gear Solid. I like MGS all before the 4th game, which i didnt enjoy. And i hate World of Warcraft. Every moment i play it is like chewing dry ice. Nothing in it interest me. ((but the Old Republic did the one thing WoW couldnt. Get me addicted to an MMO))

Im also a massive fanboy of Spore. It wasnt half as bad as everyone made it out to be. Sure, its not THE BEST at anything. But what game can you grow your species from a single celled organism, all the way up to a planet busting, galaxy raping, strip mining powerhouse?

I also happen to think that Kane and Lynch 2 was an amazing game that will always be bashed because it wasnt CoD or Gears of War. It took risks, and got bashed for it.

But then nothing enrages me like Bayonetta D:< Id rather stick a rusty staple under my big toenail and kick each of the developers in the shin. Even if it was ment to be one big joke, it came off as a horribly tasteless 60$ fan service game. I rented it, beat it, and returned it same day, telling them it was the worst gaming experience ive had since the Virtual Boy. Which was still more enjoyable to look at then this bastard child of Marketing Genius and Terrible ideas. (And yes, i loved DMC, but Bayonetta was terribad to me)

So in short, neither are truly "bad" because everything in the world is truly neutral, but they are both negative in their own ways.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Razada said:
Anti-Fanboys.

Fanboys are happy and stupid, they love their game. Leave them to it. They will usually stick in there forums having a nice little circlejerk.

my question is though, at what point does really really REALLY liking somthing make you a fanboy? you cant simply go through every single game remaining neutral

I mean if somthing is your favorite x ever then whats wrong with that?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
kouriichi said:
I also happen to think that Kane and Lynch 2 was an amazing game that will always be bashed because it wasnt CoD or Gears of War. It took risks, and got bashed for it.

no offence...buuuuuut

that there seems like a cop-out argument, granted Im sure you could go into finer detail as to why you like kayne and lynch 2 and I wont dispute that

but that seems like glazing over the games faults, and coming up with cop-ou reasons as to why it wasnt liked, Im not saying "LOOK AT THE FAULTS...LOOK AT THEM!" that would be silly, Im just saying thats ignoring them and coming up with a made up reason (Duke Nukem for ever wasnt liked because it wasnt realistic enough!...<-no it was just kind of avergae)

using that logic....Mass effect isnt gears of war or COD but that was critically received..

I dont want to start anything over kayne and lynch, but its the argument that bothers me

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Anti-fanboys.

See, it's usually easy to tell where the fanboys congregate. Then you can avoid them. Or join in. Whichever.

But anti-fanboys... they can be anywhere. On any site. And all you have to do is offhandedly mention that you don't think something's that bad.

Then... they strike.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Vault101 said:
kouriichi said:

no offence...buuuuuut

that there seems like a cop-out argument, granted Im sure you could go into finer detail as to why you like kayne and lynch 2 and I wont dispute that

but that seems like glazing over the games faults, and coming up with cop-ou reasons as to why it wasnt liked, Im not saying "LOOK AT THE FAULTS...LOOK AT THEM!" that would be silly, Im just saying thats ignoring them and coming up with a made up reason (Duke Nukem for ever wasnt liked because it wasnt realistic enough!...<-no it was just kind of avergae)

using that logic....Mass effect isnt gears of war or COD but that was critically received..

I dont want to start anything over kayne and lynch, but its the argument that bothers me
Ok, well..... The guns werent pinpoint accurate and handled extremely realistically, meaning that if you tried to run and gun you would lose every gun fight. Distinct lack of explosives probably didnt help either, when most people are used to being able to spam them like no tomorrow. You cant carry 300+ rounds of ammunition, and hold down the trigger till everything stops moving.

The AI was nothing to shake a stick at either. They would rush you, unlike enemies in most other FPS games that will stay behind cover, spraying rounds recklessly until you picked them off with 1-3 well placed rounds. ((Some would, but not all)) And this game also wants you to put some emotional investment into these characters. They arnt super soldiers in a war, nor are they Heros, single-handedly taking on half the russian army and winning every fight. Theyre two arseholes in a situation thats doing nothing but getting worse every second.

Its basically not CoD or Gears of War. x:

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
I said both, because both sides have their crazy "above and beyond" fanatics.

I do tend to pick a side though, the side that I think is most logical/rational.

It isn't hard to think on why you might have started a thread like this(considering the whole Mass Effect 3 DLC debacle).

In that case I easily sided with BioWare and the fans siding with them. I find the whole "evil money grubbing company" mentality, at least in the games industry, to be highly irrational.

For all we know, it could just be that Commander Shepard finds the Prothean sitting on the john on some planet and the Prothean says, "Oh hi! Wait just a minute, and I'll join your team."(Paragon: We need all the help we can get. Renegade: Eww, gross!{Shepard punches the Prothean in the face and walks off})

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
RJ 17 said:
They're both a bunch of morons. A game will never be as good as a fanboy believes it to be.
Valve fanboy disagrees!

OP: I guess I would have to imagine the worst fanbase and pit it with the worst anti-fanbase I know.

...come to think of it, Star Wars fanboys are also anti-fanboys in their own merit. So I guess I'll but both.

Mettking

Mar 17, 2011
Hmm...I'd say anti-fanboys are worse, if only because they go out of their way to insult something. Either way, it's only the people who take extremes that are bad, since we're all fanboys and anti-fanboys about SOMETHING.

targren

May 13, 2009
The two are one in the same. Both come from a position of emotion rather than reason, grant their own preconceived notions the label of "self-evident truth," ignore reasoned and logical praise/criticism of the target by dismissing the speaker as the opposite, and add nothing at all to anything approaching rational discourse.

Jadak said:
RJ 17 said:
By that metric, the first statement is equally false. "Good" cannot be subjective without "Bad" being just as subjective.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Dont mind either as long as they can both rationalise their arguments and display actual knowledge of what they are talking about.

If they cant then that just shows they generally have no real backbone and/or knowledge of the product and are just allowing themselves to be swayed by others opinions which of course they will deny because if they admit it they look like idiots (even though they are acting like that anyway). The trouble is these people almost always overshadow the true fans,detractors and destroy any semblance of rational argument.

So I suppose both would be my answer in the poll. But everyone is guilty of it a little its just how much you allow yourself to get carried away.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Depends, anti-fanboys are annoying... but so are the obsessive fanboys. So... both, I guess.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think you quite understand what a fanboy is. Yes, you get the general concept, but miss the exact definition. A 'fanboy' is someone who is so dedicated to something that they will dismiss any and all criticism of that thing. That isn't the same as simply liking something a lot.

As to the question, fanboys are worse. While people who yammer on about how much they hate something can be just as annoying, they typically won't bring up whatever irks them.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Fanboys or Anti-Fanboys - Whats worse?
What's ... worse? I like them both. The entire purpose of art and media is to make an emotional impression on the people who spend their time on it, and this is true in both of the cases you're describing. It's awesome that, for example, Doctor Who has so many followers, and it's awesome that, for example, Nickelback has so many haters, because both groups of people get some emotional high from talking about said subject, which, again, is exactly what's supposed to happen. I'm glad that there are people out there who love something so much that they feel the need to constantly talk about it and defend it, and I'm glad that there are also people who basically enjoy giving that first group someone to defend from. On the other hand, I sort of feel sorry for those who think they're `above all that nonsense' like most of the posts I've seen on this topic. Isn't getting excited over things the entire point of entertainment? I mean I understand trying to hold an objective view of `all these people are idiots' when it comes to politics or society or something that actually matters, but if you hold that view when it comes to media you're sort of missing the point and you sort of become one of those scroogey people who never end up living any sort of meaningful life. What do you do in your free time if you're not enjoying something so much that you either blindly follow it like a religion or you take the piss out of it every time it's mentioned? It just seems like a waste of valuable time, to me.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
Both are bad, but anti-fanboys are probably worse simply beacuse they are some of the most annoying, arrogant, self-righteous, hypocritical, and downright smug people you can find anywhere.