Poll: Favorite band instrument

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Guitar.

Drums and bass are more complementary instruments, in my opinion; they're vital for a band to have, but they can't really stand on their own. They sort of lack the flexibility and authority that vocals and guitars have, I guess. Some people see the whole behind-the-scenes thing as a pro rather than a con, but I guess I just prefer the forefront instruments. Piano would be my second choice.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Citrus Insanity said:
Guitar.

Drums and bass are more complementary instruments, in my opinion; they're vital for a band to have, but they can't really stand on their own. They sort of lack the flexibility and authority that vocals and guitars have, I guess. Some people see the whole behind-the-scenes thing as a pro rather than a con, but I guess I just prefer the forefront instruments. Piano would be my second choice.
There are a 101 solo bassists that disagree with you. Played properly, the bass can be used as a melodic and chordal instrument, as well as being used for its intended role as the foundation, that sounds like flexibility to me.

Pinkros

Mar 15, 2010
Incredible amount of bassist here! Awesome to see!

zen5887 said:
Citrus Insanity said:
Guitar.

There are a 101 solo bassists that disagree with you. Played properly, the bass can be used as a melodic and chordal instrument, as well as being used for its intended role as the foundation, that sounds like flexibility to me.
Well spoken!

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
zen5887 said:
Citrus Insanity said:
Guitar.

Don't be so quick to be offended; I didn't say bass was a completely inflexible support role. I said it lacked the flexibility and authority of a guitar, and I stand by that. Bass guitars can do some crazy things, but there's just more variety and more stand-alone appeal with a normal guitar, and that's why it is my favourite instrument.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
camokkid said:
gamefreakbsp said:
Used to play the snare drum, so drums all the way.
Were you the drummer boy in a civil war reenactment or something?
That would have been better than what I did. I was a snare drummer in my middle school band.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Banjo.
It has always been the banjo.
Such a beautiful sound.
The plinking moves me like no other instrument can.

Ironboot

Mar 9, 2010
I'm a drummer so they get my vote.

Every instrument is equally important though... Seeing so many bassists here is a pleasant surprise. That instrument is so underrated. When I show someone a great bassline, they just look confused.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Damn I picked guitar, but every day I find myself being more and more interested in both the drums and the bass. Needless to say I plan on buying a drum kit whenever I have the space/money, and I bought a bass for myself over Christmas and have been having a blast with it. So much fun to play, its hard to go back to guitar I think after playing something else. For reason and this applies to electric guitar mostly, and that's that when you play a bass, or drums or even keys, it kind of feels like you are more of a musician, its like your place in a band or whatever is more grounded compared to guitar. Perhaps its the flashiness of guitar solos or bands like dragonforce completely diluting the feel guitar based music. Although maybe that is because I am listening to more progressive music lately where the emphasis is on ALL the instruments and not just driven by the guitar or something.

Regardless music is awesome.

turkinaa

May 28, 2008
Keytar!

Also, there is a band named Sinch that uses something called an Ocular Noise Machine or Viditar. Basically they take video clips and splice them together while performing live and project them onto a screen.