Poll: Favorite D&D campaign settings

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
I've never even heard of Rokugan.
Melancholy Crow said:
Whatever happened to Oriental Adventures??
Rokugan is a more specific and detailed 'setting' of OA?. It has a much more fleshed out mythos AND although a lot of old(er) school gamers haven't heard of it, it was one of the 4 settings you could pick in the RPGA in 3rd and 3.5 (no so much anymore) So to me being 'sanctioned' by Wizards solidifies it's place.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Bweh...to be fair, the games I've enjoyed the most are the ones where the DM took the time to build his own worlds. Still, if I had to pick one of the pre-established ones, I'd have to go with Ravenloft...

Mostly because the one guy who ran it exclusively was that good at it.

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
Ravenloft by far. It has as great potential for evil characters and you can scare your PCs without even fighting one battle. And what is even better is that Wiazard of the Coast is releasing old Ravenloft scenario books for free download on their website.

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
No surprise to find 'Realms old version is topping the polls right now.

Since Planescape isn't on there I went for Dragonlance, mainly because of the many hours of entertainment the novels gave me. I have the setting books for 3.5 edition and I quite like the way the game world is very different with each time period. You basically get several settings in one, really.

The 'Realms is great for some undiluted high fantasy crazyness. But the canon NPCs irritate me no end. When I run the 'Realms I tend to drastically alter their 'stats or put them all on a bus, so to speak.

No Grayhawk? I know it's just been relegated to the 'default' status, but back in 1st edition it had an interesting backstory to it. Even if the 'Grand Duchy of Geoff' still makes me giggle whenever I hear it...

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
The Black Adder said:
Ravenloft by far. It has as great potential for evil characters and you can scare your PCs without even fighting one battle. And what is even better is that Wiazard of the Coast is releasing old Ravenloft scenario books for free download on their website.
There always great potential for evil if have a good DM or players who do something other than your wishy washy cartoony I'm going to destroy the world cause I'm evil. Same with horror but mostly comes out as dread in most campaigns.

The Gardener

Feb 14, 2009
I've always been partial to the sheer WTFery of Spelljammer, though creating our own world is usually what we do.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
LordSnakeEyes said:
asinann said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
I hate Forgotten Realms though, it's a High Magic World where magic has changed NOTHING about the world what so ever. You still have a basically medieval feudal society with no magical improvements despite the fact that every farmer and his DOG has a +1 Magic Item and you could throw a rock and hit a dozen Arch-Mages (at least, in 2nd/3rd ed they did, I don't know about 4th)
If you had read the books at all you would know why magic itself doesn't play a bigger role in changing things; it can't.

The level of magic power is restricted there (magic nearly destroyed the realm once,) so while you might be able to spit and hit 3 arch-mages with it, they aren't the same caliber as an arch-mage in other realms.
Actually, in my team's campaign setting, we "unrestricted" magic in a way... See, we got the Epic level Handbook and the deity book, (small note: at least half our players are simplistic adventurer types, whereas I'm often the bad guy of the game, p.s. I don't lose much) anyway, I basically made a Sorcerer who killed Orcus and used a spell I made using the ELH to suck up his demonic essence (thus I was a Demon Lord) went on to become the God Of Magic by killing off the following (and taking their Divine Portfolios): Mystra, Boccob, Nerull and St-Cuthbert (although St-Cuthbert is because I was enforcing Anarchy as opposed to his Lawful tendencies) and although my DM said that I was NOT to release magic (even though I was, by then, the supreme god of magic) or else he'd restart the world I've built so hard to achieve a status in, I basically created Gems that allow one to enhance the power of his spells almost 10 fold (making the Wish Spell the most powerful thing ever since I'd tinkered my Eye, which was one of the gems, to rid me of XP costs) allowing my mortal vassals to almost "give" magic away and thanks to me, the world soon had guns (that basically threw the lightning bolt spell or used transmutation to propel small metal spikes), free Energy/Food/material and mass produced gloves that allowed people to meld materials to their will, it was Utopia (my own version of Atlantis). Although it was kinda tyrannically ruled by Mages, they answered to me, making me the supreme overlord. But my Sorcerer (whom BTW was Called Seraph) got bored with it all and ascended his godhood to become something more (basically sit alongside Ao).

But since the pcs were taking all my visionnary work and started the "Era Of Peace" which btw was boring, I made SnakeEyes (hence my profile name) the Pirate, with my modest beginnings as a smuggler and assassin, I quickly rose to power as lord of the seas and stole the Shards Of Seraph one by one and used them to destroy eachother (except one that I used to raise the World Capital, which became known as Atlantis XD as well as kill most figures of authority, plunging the world into a dark chaos where I presently sit on top of the Food Chain as a level 20 Swashbuckler, 20 Fighter, 20 Psion and 20 Rogue)

Said that way I'm starting to feel over-powered... God I'm Good
80th level characters...sounds like a fun campaign...

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Pyronox said:
*Sigh*

All this looks so awesome. I just wish I would've had a chance to play D&D somewhere before I turned 18.
You're not missing out! Find some old timers to go back and do ages long past. There's always some creepy fat guy with a ponytail at every comic shop willing to play what he calls "real" d&d

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
The Gardener said:
I've always been partial to the sheer WTFery of Spelljammer, though creating our own world is usually what we do.
I've never even once played with actual setting rules except for 4e loose rules involving Scales of War (semi-descended from some 'unspecified' 3e stuff like Red Hand of Doom), and my other game is strictly homebrew. I want to play a Spelljammer game for nothing other than the 5 gallons of crazy in a 4 gallon campaign.

LordSnakeEyes

Mar 9, 2009
Da_Schwartz said:
LordSnakeEyes said:
asinann said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
I hate Forgotten Realms though, it's a High Magic World where magic has changed NOTHING about the world what so ever. You still have a basically medieval feudal society with no magical improvements despite the fact that every farmer and his DOG has a +1 Magic Item and you could throw a rock and hit a dozen Arch-Mages (at least, in 2nd/3rd ed they did, I don't know about 4th)
If you had read the books at all you would know why magic itself doesn't play a bigger role in changing things; it can't.

The level of magic power is restricted there (magic nearly destroyed the realm once,) so while you might be able to spit and hit 3 arch-mages with it, they aren't the same caliber as an arch-mage in other realms.
Actually, in my team's campaign setting, we "unrestricted" magic in a way... See, we got the Epic level Handbook and the deity book, (small note: at least half our players are simplistic adventurer types, whereas I'm often the bad guy of the game, p.s. I don't lose much) anyway, I basically made a Sorcerer who killed Orcus and used a spell I made using the ELH to suck up his demonic essence (thus I was a Demon Lord) went on to become the God Of Magic by killing off the following (and taking their Divine Portfolios): Mystra, Boccob, Nerull and St-Cuthbert (although St-Cuthbert is because I was enforcing Anarchy as opposed to his Lawful tendencies) and although my DM said that I was NOT to release magic (even though I was, by then, the supreme god of magic) or else he'd restart the world I've built so hard to achieve a status in, I basically created Gems that allow one to enhance the power of his spells almost 10 fold (making the Wish Spell the most powerful thing ever since I'd tinkered my Eye, which was one of the gems, to rid me of XP costs) allowing my mortal vassals to almost "give" magic away and thanks to me, the world soon had guns (that basically threw the lightning bolt spell or used transmutation to propel small metal spikes), free Energy/Food/material and mass produced gloves that allowed people to meld materials to their will, it was Utopia (my own version of Atlantis). Although it was kinda tyrannically ruled by Mages, they answered to me, making me the supreme overlord. But my Sorcerer (whom BTW was Called Seraph) got bored with it all and ascended his godhood to become something more (basically sit alongside Ao).

But since the pcs were taking all my visionnary work and started the "Era Of Peace" which btw was boring, I made SnakeEyes (hence my profile name) the Pirate, with my modest beginnings as a smuggler and assassin, I quickly rose to power as lord of the seas and stole the Shards Of Seraph one by one and used them to destroy eachother (except one that I used to raise the World Capital, which became known as Atlantis XD as well as kill most figures of authority, plunging the world into a dark chaos where I presently sit on top of the Food Chain as a level 20 Swashbuckler, 20 Fighter, 20 Psion and 20 Rogue)

Said that way I'm starting to feel over-powered... God I'm Good
80th level characters...sounds like a fun campaign...
Well, honestly, most players only got to level 20 max. They were at their epic-est before 30, then I'd either be the one to kill them (while around the same level) or they'd do something stupid and die.
I'm the only one who actually got to level 80, plus I only did it twice because my characters have a tendencies to become the Elite, but then I get bored & scrap them. The only other person in the team to ever have gotten to a near as powerful level as me is my main rival of the group who is currently an Elder Wyrm Gold Dragon with something around 60 levels of Fighter and Sorcerer, everytime we fight, one of us escapes because we aren't into losing all our hard work. We've also teamed up sometimes but it always ends up with a betrayal.

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
roekenny said:
The Black Adder said:
There always great potential for evil if have a good DM or players who do something other than your wishy washy cartoony I'm going to destroy the world cause I'm evil. Same with horror but mostly comes out as dread in most campaigns.
Really? I'm talking about corrupting a PC, bonuses to Necromancy spells, as well as running epic level campaigns where I allow my PCs to not only challenge the Darklords themselves, but become a lord of the demiplane of dread.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I freaking love Forgotten Realms. First of all, there's so much to do in it. Second, it's so fully fleshed out. And third, I love the books, to be honest. They have overpowered characters, but I for one love battles between two equally overpowered characters.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Well, honestly, most players only got to level 20 max. They were at their epic-est before 30, then I'd either be the one to kill them (while around the same level) or they'd do something stupid and die.
I'm the only one who actually got to level 80, plus I only did it twice because my characters have a tendencies to become the Elite, but then I get bored & scrap them. The only other person in the team to ever have gotten to a near as powerful level as me is my main rival of the group who is currently an Elder Wyrm Gold Dragon with something around 60 levels of Fighter and Sorcerer, everytime we fight, one of us escapes because we aren't into losing all our hard work. We've also teamed up sometimes but it always ends up with a betrayal.
U need a new Dm.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
As good as Eberron is though, it's got NOTHING on The Iron Kingdoms, a third party setting that's like Eberron on steroids.

It is the awesome sauce.
http://www.privateerpress.com/ironkingdoms/default.php