Poll: Favorite D&D campaign settings

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
I've only ever played a homebrew setting created by my two DMs and their brother. Its a simple place, still new so there isn't a lot going on. Each of the DMs has a town which they base their adventures in and there a bunch of NPCs that are retired PCs, Bardicus the inn keeper, Kremlen the mage, Krunks the despised.

I'm starting a new campaign and a new town on Friday and I can't wait.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
I have only played a few noob games with a couple of noob mates so I have no idea.
Unfortunately one has left school whilst the other is going to uni so it's just me and the DM (who is also gonna go uni soon) trying to find people to play with but there is no one else left.

superbleeder12

agamersperspective.com
Oct 13, 2007
I enjoy eberron a lot. I've never cared for forgotten realms. mainly because I didn't feel like a big player in the grand scheme of things. There was always elminster or drizzt to fall back on. The DM who ran that campaign had us be essentially the errand boys of the big guys.

most of the time though, our group plays in homebrew settings. I tend to loosely stick to the setting of eberron. I pretty much like the theme and use the maps that they provide. but I usually just throw most of the history out the window.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
new_age_reject said:
I have only played a few noob games with a couple of noob mates so I have no idea.
Unfortunately one has left school whilst the other is going to uni so it's just me and the DM (who is also gonna go uni soon) trying to find people to play with but there is no one else left.
Wizards has a thing where you can find games being played in your area if you're not afraid of meeting new and very frightening (see greasy) people. Not sure if it extends to the UK though,

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
The Black Adder said:
roekenny said:
The Black Adder said:
Ravenloft by far. It has as great potential for evil characters and you can scare your PCs without even fighting one battle. And what is even better is that Wiazard of the Coast is releasing old Ravenloft scenario books for free download on their website.
There always great potential for evil if have a good DM or players who do something other than your wishy washy cartoony I'm going to destroy the world cause I'm evil. Same with horror but mostly comes out as dread in most campaigns.
Really? I'm talking about corrupting a PC, bonuses to Necromancy spells, as well as running epic level campaigns where I allow my PCs to not only challenge the Darklords themselves, but become a lord of the demiplane of dread.
Had a quick look at the wiki page and saw has unlimited potential for greater evil but saying even a mundane setting in heartlands of FR has great potential for evil as well as sure replacing a dark lord with a darker one is evil and awesome, but something what makes me feel warm and fuzzy when decimate and manipulate a noble kingdom and turn it into a twisted perversion of itself. That or slowly ebbing away the morals of the parties only good drow and while I'm the polite and reasonable one they look like the raging psychopath :D
ace_of_something said:
Wizards has a thing where you can find games being played in your area if you're not afraid of meeting new and very frightening (see greasy) people. Not sure if it extends to the UK though,
It dose I believe or something similar but only one in north on England is Nottingham I believe so basically useless for most. The new dnd insider says can play on-line but only play 4th ed I believe not backward compatible what annoying. Then similar programs on the net but again player base across the pond what not good.

CapnGod

Sep 6, 2008
Pyronox said:
*Sigh*

All this looks so awesome. I just wish I would've had a chance to play D&D somewhere before I turned 18.
Why not try it now? My group (before scattering to the winds) had no one in it younger than 25.

Then again, I've never really gotten to play. I've got tubs of books, though. I've got a pretty decent collection of AD&D books. I want so badly to play. Unfortunately, my DM moved to the west coast. Also, between college and jobs, we never really did much. Which sucked.

And, for all the people talking about homebrew, cool. I've been slowly working on a homebrew campaign, but basically set in the Forgotten Realms setting. The beauty is a pre-established set of rules and gods and mythos that you can then add to. Unless you're talking about creating an entirely new setting (I read the process for it on www.giantitp.com), in which case, wow. Props to you.

I accidentally purchased a 3.0 book, and I have a question: how did you ever get anything done? You could have an entire skirmish in a few minutes in AD&D, but with all the rules, how did you progress the story and campaign? Battles had to take up a hell of a lot of time.

I was taught by old school gamers, and I like THAC0. So, I may not have played back in the day, but I feel a bit more old school. Not first edition, but I do have a second run Deities and Demigods. Awesome.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Planescape. Definitely Planescape. Not only because of Planescape: Torment, but the factions were excellent, the cant was nice, but a bit unnecessary, and it wasn't focused on stereotypical heroing to slay the evil wizard and grab loot that drops.

After that, Ravenloft (though D&D doesn't really make for a good horror setting as it's built), then probably Eberron, but I don't find much of the D&D settings too interesting beyond Planescape.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Meh, I still think the absence of Planescape is a grievous oversight. You should have just had one Forgotten Realms option and included it...

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
My personal favorite is one I created myself. I started off with a map and just started filling in details over the course of many months of play. It's a really, really detailed world now. It is my precious.

Sarr77

Oct 27, 2008
Hi :). I refuse to vote, until you include Greyhawk :). I'm long time D&D player and Dungeon Master, now playing D&D Online. It's in Eberron, but Greyhawk is the best setting in my opinion.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
As far as a setting for D&D specifically goes, I'd say I prefer Eberron. That's because it feels like it was truly written for the D&D 3.5 game (well, the first 10-12 levels of that game, at least). Keith Baker did a very good job of keeping the setting novel but playable. The built-in conflicts are interesting, and they're fairly nuanced for a D&D setting, but it's also really easy to run a game

Planescape and Dark Sun were very interesting settings. Good, too, if you judge mostly based on the core books. Both managed to step away from stock fantasy and bring in some nice, dark themes. And their art, the beautiful work of Brom and diTerlizzi, really made them shine. The thing is, both of these D&D setting are flatly better with another game system. Using the D&D rules (any edition) brings them down.

-- Alex

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
actually most players only get to 12-13, then it gets too awkward. 4 pages to a character sheet to constantly change is kinda a days work in its self.

Also dragonlance sucks

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I know Greyhawk is the standard D&D setting, but not including it in the poll? I'm inclined to be offended, if only because Boccob makes an awesome god of magic. I'm actually kinda drawn to the whole "points of light" standard setting in 4e.

Guess I'll go with old Forgotten Realms. It was that or Dragonlance. Unfortunately, since I've only played the CRPGs of those, and the CRPG Dragonlance games didn't let clerics cast any "evil" spells (meaning the only damaging spells they had were Flame Strike and Blade Barrier), they annoyed me. But then...Dark Queen of Krynn was still awesome. But then, so is Curse of the Azure Bonds. But then...

GAH! Why isn't there a Greyhawk option?

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Zemalac said:
My personal favorite is one I created myself. I started off with a map and just started filling in details over the course of many months of play. It's a really, really detailed world now. It is my precious.
I too prefer my homebrew setting, but since the poll didn't offer that option I picked Dragonlance. I spent hours designing a map that is basically just the northern and eastern hemisphere of a world. Then I started making the southeastern hemisphere recently. However, I ran two different campaigns into epic territory in the first section of map I made. Does it make me a geek to sit and ponder ocean currents, rain shadows and other similar environmental things?

samuel1380

Apr 8, 2008
Wow cant believe world of greyhawk didnt make the poll...that was my favorite of all time!

iron codpiece

Mar 17, 2009
I like how you specifically explain you wanted the more flavorful campaigns then everyone whines that Greyhawk isn't there which while large was about the most basic campaign setting. Dark Sun really rules; oh my Pterran Fighter, How I miss you.