Poll: Favorite holiday as you grow older

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
Christmas still can't be beat; take a week off from grad school, visit my family who I get along (mostly) great with, get free meals and laundry like I'm a kid again, and usually visit some old friends I don't see that often anymore.

Caostotale

Mar 15, 2010
None of these holidays are all that appealing. Nice as it is to see everyone, my family and my wife's family both get too high-strung about Thanksgiving and Christmas, the traffic in the area gets horrendous, Black Friday is what it is, and all of that collective stress tends to spill over onto us no how we try to steer clear of it.

As well, neither my wife nor I enjoy the high levels of attention-seeking that comes with Halloween. I get why little kids enjoy that stuff, but with adults, it's just more aggressive pageantry in a society that could probably do without so much aggressive pageantry. I know that some people do really creative and interesting things for the holiday, but the bulk of it is shitheads wearing crappy store-bought costumes so they can go to a bar/party/etc.., i.e. what they probably do without costumes every 2-3 weeks anyway.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Christmas for me , just like everyone else that doesnt live in 'Merica i would guess. used to be a nightmare as a kid, but now its a really relaxed fun couple of weeks heavy drinking and feasting with friends and family,

there was a time in teens/early 20's when halloween took over as all the girls got dressed up in slut wear for it. but tbh they dress like that all the time now so that day has lost its charm.

to this day i just can not got my head around the concept of celebrating thanksgiving. i would just be too embarrassed to do it.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Halloween is a non-holiday for me. When I was a kid, freakin' everyone was trick-or-treating. I lived in a good neighborhood, so people from the other hood across the highway even came here for safer times and better candy. Nowadays you wouldn't know it was halloween. Last halloween there was not one single trick-or-treater. Not one. I don't know if it was general apathy or the economy or all the kids grew up, but you'd think there was an active air raid threat or something.

Thanksgiving is about food and family. We eat food and we don't have much family, so it's like most other days.

Christmas, even though my family doesn't really celebrate it. But everybody gets time off, we go on a camping trip, we get to hang out more, and it's the only time I can drink. Best of all though, the biggest Steam sales ever!!!

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I don't believe in Thanksgiving (unless you like celebrating holidays based off murder). I utterly despise Christmas. And I adore Halloween. Though, to be fair, I only like it because it's the only time of year it's actually appropriate to scare the shit out of people. Otherwise I don't like any of them.

My favourite holidays are:
The day after Halloween candy sale
The day after Valentine's day candy sale
The day after Easter candy sale

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Thanksgiving is the day I bake myself a huge pan of lasagna and proceed to gorge upon it. (I don't "do" turkey.)

Halloween is a day I sit at home with all outside-visible lights off so kids don't come knocking for candy.

Christmas is a day.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Well the only only I could pick was Christmas, as the others aren't a thing in the Netherlands XD.

Though I don't like Christmas actually, and we even celebrate it for two days instead of just one >__<

Carnival is my favourite, Burgundian Carnaval to be precise. It's similar to Halloween in that it involves dress up but that's where it ends. Thematically Carnival is more about silly and wacky as opposed to spooky and scary like Halloween. Every town/city will also change it's name to it's Carnival name during the festival.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Christmas is the only thing we have here in Australia. Well, I do know some people do Halloween, but it isn't widely performed and as someone who isn't into much horror, I don't care for it anyway. With Christmas, there's good food, money received as gifts and sometimes time spent with people not seen often, so it's pretty good.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
got to be Thanksgiving since we dont have it here and i hate Christmas with a burning passion and little kids coming to my door begging for lollies pisses me off to no end
i actually like Easter the most because it gives the most days off work and its all about chocolate and i love chocolate

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I don't think I qualify as a young adult anymore so I didn't vote, but it's still Christmas for me. But I enjoy hosting the dinner instead of simply eating it. The gifts are great, but I like seeing how others react to those I got them.

Thanksgiving is a bit less of a deal in Canada and Halloween is never something I really got into.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
None of the forementioned holidays cater for me, except on Xmas I tend to get wasted... Maybe on halloween, too, but they really are artificial consumer parties, so they mean nothing to me. And I have no idea what that Thanksgiving-thing is all about? Boost turkey sales? It sounds utterly stupid, but so do the other two.

The only real holiday is Midsummer, when you can burn things and passout drunk in the woods.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Great international poll there!
Well, thanksgiving doesn't exist here.... Halloween isn't a thing apart from people dressing up and getting drunk... Christmas would be the winner then, though it's more of a tie with Midsummer to me. Christmas is cozy and sweet, but Midsummer is fun. With alcohol. And sex. And stuff.

And surstömming.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Whoa, where's Easter?

The time of cute bunnies and chicks, and the chocolate gets a lot cheaper right after!

Mmmmm, chocolate.

Plus, no kids bothering me at the door, and no obligation to see family. :D It's a win-win for me.

[sub][sub]I like to use the chocolate eggs as cereal bowls....[/sub][/sub]

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
As I grow older?

Labor Day, it's always on a Monday and it's a rare day I don't have to go to work.

I want to run as far away from Christmas as possible, I'm not much of a Halloween person.
Thanksgiving is nice, spending time with my family and friends, eating the foods everyone cooks the best and turkey, then going to sleep afterward. Also it's always on a Thursday so I usually get Friday and the weekend off.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Christmas for me. I always visit these Christmas markets/fares in Belgium and Germany that look like cute little JRPG towns. At that time of year with all the lights, markets, snow and decorated christmas trees it gives them a really nice atmosphere. The food and drinks are really nice as well.

I actually barely notice the other holidays. They don't really have a significant a presence where I live. Well maybe Easter, even if its just for the excuse I can eat as much chocolate as I can. Yummmmm. :p

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
For me, it's totally Christmas.

I was never very close to my family growing up, and it's only recently that I've started to be able to get along with them... And this year I moved to China where they don't celebrate it (not properly, anyway).

So this Christmas, I'd very much love to just be back in my home country for a while, family and fiancee together for a nice meal and a board game.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I am from the UK, so I don't celebrate thanksgiving, I don't like Halloween as I don't want children on my doorstep begging for candy, so the winner is Christmas, a time for family, gift giving and overeating. It is just a shame I tend to work through most of it. Working in emergency veterinary medicine sucks, especially as my dad gets a week off christmas week, and I don't even get Christmas eve off, in fact it is treated as a regular day.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
As I grow older, Christmas remains my favorite holiday, though for different reasons. Sure, I like getting presents as much as the next person, but now I have a couple of kids and I'm looking forward to seeing their excitement over the holiday once they get old enough to understand it. I also just enjoy the ambiance of having the Christmas lights on, a fire in the fireplace and listening to holiday music or watching a holiday movie. Just sitting in my living room at night with nothing but the Christmas lights on is one of my happy places.