Poll: Favorite "Survival Horror" Resident Evil?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
And I am specifically referring to the the games before Resident Evil 4, the ones that had fixed camara angles, tank controls, and a more "horror" based games. The one game I am not counting is the Original Resident Evil 1 because let's be honest it has not aged all that well and the voice acting certainly does not help. And the one the game I am adding is the Outbreak games because despite the whole Multiplayer premise its still at its heart a survival horror game and even has some aspects that I wish was in the other games like Melee Weapons.

So anyway what is your absolute favorite Survival Horror Resident Evil Game?

Normally this is like picking over children so I will rank them but the highest ranking one is the one I will choose so from left meaning Highest to right meaning least liked:

Remake > Zero = Outbreak games > 2 > Nemesis > Code Veronica.

Everthing about the Remake was just perfect.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I've played all the main games (so the numbered ones including 0) and Code Veronica.

I still think RE2 is the peak. They gave you characters you cared about, double the story as you could play both Leon and Claire, and the bad guys were just bad guys, not incredibly weird for the sake of weird as the series seems to have gone.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
And I am specifically referring to the the games before Resident Evil 4, the ones that had fixed camara angles, tank controls, and a more "horror" based games.
RE4 has the same tank controls, only expanded, and it is a survival horror game. I'm answering RE4 because the poll is daft. I don't like the games before it or the ones after.
RE 4 Pleb :p

(shakes my cane)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Resident Evil Zero or Outbreak. Don't get my wrong, 4 is my favorite and 2 is a classic, but I think RE shines the most when they don't use any of the main characters.
Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire are absolute dorks and have the charisma of a plate of shrimp. Now I know you'd sad "Well SilentPony, Resident evil Zero had what's her face and she's in the main cast."

No, she's not. And neither is the other dude. They have their own story going, and because they're not shackled to Wesker and his silliness, they're able to explore more of the ideas of bio-engineered super weapons.

Likewise OutBreak. A zombie survival game set in Raccoon City during the OutBreak?! Its like the first few days of State of Decay all over again! Its great! challenging, clever, nail-biting. And you can select your own immersion level. You can just try to survive until the end, or find little secrets and files and data here and there and slowly uncover the truth. Also always pick the dude who starts with a gun. And remember, there's a shotgun on the shelf in the room on the 2nd floor of the bar, and a pistol in a utility closet on the roof.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I haven't played the remake but of the other 3.. I really liked Nemesis, it just ticked all the right boxes for me and had the most fun playing it.
Also I think it was the first game that introduced the mercs mode.

Of the other 2, resident evil 2 is a close 2nd and easy to see why it's considered one of the big ps1 classic games. Actually replayed it a few years ago and thought it still holds up really well, the A story/B story for consequent playthroughs is a decent enough gimmick too.

Outbreak would be higher on the list if I ever managed to play it online with other people. I couldn't, thus a lot of what would make this game amazing I never got to experience, and it's probably amongst my big gaming regrets.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Silentpony said:
Resident Evil Zero or Outbreak. Don't get my wrong, 4 is my favorite and 2 is a classic, but I think RE shines the most when they don't use any of the main characters.
Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire are absolute dorks and have the charisma of a plate of shrimp. Now I know you'd sad "Well SilentPony, Resident evil Zero had what's her face and she's in the main cast."

No, she's not. And neither is the other dude. They have their own story going, and because they're not shackled to Wesker and his silliness, they're able to explore more of the ideas of bio-engineered super weapons.
What are you talking about? Wesker's right there observing them through a monitor. It's one of the silliest things in the entire franchise, where he and Birkin are just watching Rebecca and Billy on a screen the whole time.

And neither RE2, 3, and 4 really have anything to do with Wesker either. He only gets a passing mention in RE4 at best.

AXimilao_Elotus

Aug 13, 2016
I chose Resident Evil 2 simply because while, yes, all of the options are considered (by me at least) survival horror games at their core, I feel like that one just did everything the best. It's been more than 10 years and I still get a little jumpy on parts. The atmosphere is so immaculately well done to the point where I still get scared even though I know what's going to happen.

That's when you know something works.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
And I am specifically referring to the the games before Resident Evil 4, the ones that had fixed camara angles, tank controls, and a more "horror" based games.
RE4 has the same tank controls, only expanded, and it is a survival horror game. What do you think makes a horror game, being genuinely scary? Well, I played the RE remake and wasn't scared at all. I'm answering RE4 because the poll is daft. I don't like the games before it or the ones after.
Dammit 'Zeke, ReMake didn't scare you "at all"? You sure you played that mess at night, with the lights out, and all that other hooey?

On topic, ReMake is the clear winner for me OP with Re2 coming in second and Code Veronica rounding out third. ReMake went above and beyond in terms of delivering what was expected out of a Resident Evil survival horror experience.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Silentpony said:

What are you talking about? Wesker's right there observing them through a monitor. It's one of the silliest things in the entire franchise, where he and Birkin are just watching Rebecca and Billy on a screen the whole time.

And neither RE2, 3, and 4 really have anything to do with Wesker either. He only gets a passing mention in RE4 at best.
Actually in terms 4, Wesker was the whole reason Ava got involved and she played a rather large roll in it. Especially in all of the iterations post Gamecube where you get to play as her.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
RE 1 remake but only cos that was the game I actually played instead of watching my mate or bro playing it!

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I think most of the games have their great moments, ones that make your heart jump into your throat! Resident Evil had the iconic first zombie, that corridor and that wardrobe. By proxy REmake gets those plus that bath tub plus the excellent addition of Crimson Heads and Lisa Trevor. But then Resident Evil 2 gave us the Licker cutscene and the other corridor on top of William Birkin and Mr. X. Nemesis' contributions are obvious. I think 4 is vastly underrated as an actual horror game. Sure the Ganados weren't particularly scary, but hot damn did the prison facility get me worked up with the Regenerators and the Iron Maidens.

If I had to choose, Resident Evil 2 is probably the best for characters, monster design and actual scares. But 4 takes home medals for the gameplay, dark horse scares and embracing the cheese.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Nemesis always epitomised horror for me. I was a lot younger when I played it so he was actually a realistic threat. The way he dogged your steps non-stop was just incredible. 2 Definitely had it's moments, like the introduction of the licker.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ummm, been going off the old Resi style for quite some time now, but Code Veronica sticks out more in the memory than the rest. Can't say any were particularly scary or even fun, wouldn't go back to try them presently, but they kept me company during some lonely nights at least. Crude Veruca it is then.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Chairman Miaow said:
Nemesis always epitomised horror for me. I was a lot younger when I played it so he was actually a realistic threat. The way he dogged your steps non-stop was just incredible. 2 Definitely had it's moments, like the introduction of the licker.
And let's not forget the overall design of the "GREATEST MONSTER IN RESIDENT EVIL HISTORY!!!"

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:

But Wesker does show up in Zero. Hell, he gets more screen time in that that in the whole of RE2, RE3 and RE4 combined.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:

But Wesker does show up in Zero. Hell, he gets more screen time in that that in the whole of RE2, RE3 and RE4 combined.
Uh he does not even appear in RE 2 and 3 at all?