Poll: Favourite Total War?

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Pretty simple what's your favourite? These include all the expansion packs.

Personally I love Rome the most.

Also, your thoughts on Shogun 2? Worth getting?

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Based on the performance of the past few total wars, I'd say no, wait a few months to see if the inevitable bugs get fixed.

I loved medieval 2 but damn (many) two handed units couldnt actually fight properly and I get to spend fucking ages trying to get a fan patch to work..A FAN PATCH FOR A CORE GAME PROBLEM, was not impressed, was even less impressed when I saw what happened with the next 2 games.

Grimsinger

Apr 9, 2008
I liked Rome a whole lot more than i did the others. I want the new Shogun to be cool, i liked the last one...

coolicus

Oct 6, 2010
Rome was my first total war game and I heard about it when I randomly picked up a PC Gamer mag in wales when I was there for the weekend with my rents as a wee lad of 12. This was months before release and I thought "that looks really cool" so I put it to one side in my brain and then when it hit shelves I got it.

I still remember the excitement when I first started playing it - I had never played a game like that before - it felt so awesome. I remember the excitement when Barbarian Invasion was released and then later Alexander although the time limit made that less fun for me. I eagerly anticpate a ROME 2 which I assume will follow Shogun because the prospect of true to life sized battles with legionaries is just awesome.

I agree though that until Napoleon CA seemed to be on a slippery slope of releases being more and more rushed - I suppose we could blame Sega for that as CA are probably under lots of pressure.

Still the way Empire got abandoned when it is still broken in many ways is not particularly cool :/. And the whole Napoleon would update Empires engine when you installed it thing getting dropped wasn't particularly fun or endearing.

The problem is I think games are being forced out months before they should be often times for financial reasons.

Anyway I'm holding off buying Shogun until I have earned enough to get a top notch gaming PC to appreciate it in all its glory and by the time that happens hopefully a few patches will have fixed the inevitable bugs.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Rome or Medieval 2 will win out on this poll.

At least they better, or else I will be extremely disappoint.

My vote goes to Rome.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Medieval 2, definitely. So much variety in armies and starting locations was great... I must have replayed that game a dozen times.

Then the variety kind of dropped out of the series. One country was pretty much the same as another, and the challenge was diminished because of it. More realistic, but less fun.

But I agree with mirasiel, two handed units were very disappointing. Er, except the Varangian Guard on the Byzantines. God bless those axe wielding lunatics.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Loved both Medieval 2 and Napoleon, the first for its campaign and the second for the multiplayer functionality (it actually worked, sort of).

Shogun 2 sounds like the first in the Total War series to have a fully working multiplayer without as many of the bizzare quirks from previous games. Napoleon unfortunately still has connectivity issues and stupid decisions for the co-op campaign such as being forced to either autoresolve battles or fight against the other player in battles against other factions.

beniki said:
But I agree with mirasiel, two handed units were very disappointing. Er, except the Varangian Guard on the Byzantines. God bless those axe wielding lunatics.
Those guys were annoying to say the least, a friend I often play Total war against pretty much only ever played as Byzantine as he loved those guys so much.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I really enjoy Empire. Or at least the Darthmod version of it. The vanilla version, while fun, was immersion shattering. I didn't know that 18th century muskets used tracer rounds! The Darthmod makes battles much more realistic and satisfying to fight. I also appreciate the scope of the game. With a few exceptions, the game spans THE ENTIRE WORLD. No other Total War game has that kind of scope.

The introduction of the research and development system for both military and civil means is perhaps my favorite aspect of the game. No longer are your unit production capabilities limited by how big your cities are. It really feels like you need to work in order to make your units better. People may say that the troop types (infantry, artillery and cavalry) lack the variety of past Total War games, especially Medieval II. While that may be the case at the outset, researching technologies can make these same units fight in different capacities (Bayonets, fire by rank, square formation, etc.). Another complaint is that the styles of battle are the same for any battle. Two lines of men fire at each other until one runs away, each and every time. But isn't it the same with almost all battles in Medieval II, with the notable exception of factions like the Turks and Byzantines? Two lines of men charge into each other and hack away until one side runs away. Almost every time.

And the sea battles. My God, the sea battles are fantastic! Any inconsistencies with sailing against the wind have been corrected in the Darthmod.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Yeah,its a sad sad day when you have to rely on fan patching to fix a game, from a company thats still going strong and releasing new games. I dont mind it if the orignal team went belly up and there is no other choice but simply abandoning your work because you've already made all the money you can off of it....is very bad in my eyes.

Even worse is the fact that as someone else said, you cannot actually rely on reviewers giving a fair/balanced/honest review of a game and having to rely on fan reactions instead. I dont know if this is because reviewers cant do their job well (dont play the game much), are total war fan boys or if they just couldnt see the bugs past all the wads of cash/job offers.

Bad times.

captcha: nteduard logic <--wtf?