Poll: Fellow depressed people, on a bad day, how do you deal?

NeonOranges

Jan 16, 2011
As someone who deals with depression I know as well as anyone, there are good days and there are bad days. I am on medication but it doesn?t get rid of the depression so much as it helps me manage it. I know there have got to be other people in the same boat and I?ve been looking to shake up my ?make myself feel better? routine, so I was hoping for some ideas.

Currently I manage by going for a run and then coming home and drinking copious amounts of tea. So fellow escapists, what do you do to beat the blues?

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Me? I Sleep. Generally when I feel really low I tend to find sleeping helps.

Other times just moping around and listening to coldplay tends to help...its like my mind wants[/I] to be sad. Different strokes I suppose.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I find myself stuck in bed or pacing around listening to music and in tears. Eventually, I feel a little better and snap out of it for awhile. I'm not very helpful, though, since my problems have been at their worst lately...

NeonOranges

Jan 16, 2011
Katatori-kun said:
"I used to, but I'm doing better now"

4 Cs: Cleaning, Cardio (exercise), Curry, Chocolate
Oh wow, that sounds great... also very tasty. I'm a curry lover myself and th act of cooking actually helps focus me. I never even thought of it! i'm going to try this the next time I'm having a bad day. Thank you so much!

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
I try to force myself to do something. Cleaning can be good (actually, I like that 4Cs idea--may have to keep that in mind). Another thing I like to do is chainmaille. It doesn't require a whole lot of effort or concentration, but it keeps me from just sitting around doing nothing. So some kind of crafting hobby is a good idea.

One thing I try to always tell people about is the HALT acronym. It stands for Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. The idea is that when depression worsens it's possible that one of those four factors is responsible. It's good to mentally check if any of those things apply, and if so to correct them (eat something if you're hungry, do something calming if you're angry, etc). Sometimes that can make a big difference.

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
I've never been depressed in my life, but I read something cool recently. It was some news article about foods that fight depression.

Apparently B vitamins are important for mental well being and can help boost your mood. While reading, I realised that my diet it really high in B vitamins. Then I thought that this might be why I've never really felt depressed!

I thought I'd have all the ingredients of depression. I'm an atheist so I don't really believe in anything, I have a cynical outlook on life and I'm a bit of a misanthrope. I'm a student and I live with my folks at home. A have a small circle of friends, but most have them moved away to do stuff with their lives.

I've always thought that I'm the type of person that really should be depressed, but somehow I'm not. I enjoy the day to day pleasures of life and I love seeing my family and friends. It's gotta be those B vitamins! Obviously there are other factors besides diet, but perhaps it'll help. Who knows.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Wine, Miserable music and Comfort Food. Usually about once a week, I do try and be happy but if it's not an internal struggle it's a physical one.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
My depression comes and goes. Sometimes I'm as careless and happy as I can be, forgetting that I'm basically alone (save for a girlfriend in another state), with no job, and still living with my father--who's also depressed and working towards getting better, but too full of himself to try to help me through and uses me as someone to talk to, but is never there for me. Though, a few times a month or every other month, I get really severe depression where I can't talk, think, or even function correctly--nothing seems to move me in any direction when I'm like that. Random suicidal thoughts, that have been acted upon, but always end up with me sitting in the dark (it comforts me) with whatever I was going to use, and then eventually falling asleep.

Games, books, writing, talking to my girlfriend and sleeping on the mic with her, watching movies, and exercising help get my mind off of things and keep me happy.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
some days I can get along with a good game and some junk food
other day's I just need the world to leave me the hell alone

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
Sometimes I can distract myself with a movie or anime, call one of my friends, or buy random stuff I don't need online.

Other times, I just lay in my bed and cry until I fall asleep. Listening to some calming music can be helpful sometimes. I guess it really depends how much of a bad day I'm having.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
It depends how bad. Often I can just spirit it away with escapism. Other times, though thankfully quite rarely, it gets so overwhelming that I can think nothing but depressing thoughts, and just cry myself to sleep. Sometimes it takes effort to cry, but until I do I can't get over it.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
Bambi On Toast said:
Apparently B vitamins are important for mental well being and can help boost your mood.
My mom read about the same thing and had me start on B12 vitamins and it seems to help quite a bit. They linked depression to the amount of red platelets your body produces or something like that... Not entirely sure.

Other than that I turn to reading and artsy things. I love painting and drawing. The last time I was in a really low mood I immediately pulled out my painting gear and did a painting that had been floating around in my head for months. I finished the underlying drawing and all the paint within four hours and afterwards I felt great.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I used to go out with my friends, but that can lead to drinking quite a lot I found. Try and do stuff with friends like going to watch a film and things. I guess this isn't something to do every day, but I found buying new clothes and getting a haricut helped me feel better about myself. It's easier to cheer up when you don't feel like you look like shit, shallow as it sounds.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Sometimes I will try to sleep it off. I find it is difficult to distract myself with a game or movie. My mind just can't focus when I feel depressed.

You might try a brisk walk outside especially during the day. It is not only a change of scenery and might get your mind off your troubles... exercise also releases endorphins and sunlight increases serotonin levels.

LT Cannibal 68

Dec 9, 2010
well let's see when i used to deal all i had to do was just chill with some friends at our local park and that would do the trick. But due to a what should have been heart breaking moment something in me just snapped and i feel......nothing. I'm completely numb inside and i like it. i guess i'm one of the lucky ones. anybody have any idea what i have? just being completely empty and blank? not having any good or bad feelings just going along with things? i like this and i hope it's here to stay but i would like some inputs as to what's wrong with me. also i don't know if it's relevant but i have been entertaining the thought of suicide for a bit. any comments or thoughts help. thanks

EpicEps

Nov 29, 2011
My depression manifests as a numbness, where I feel absolutely nothing. It's rather difficult to combat, since I don't feel anything at all and that's hard to change. Usually what I do is read. I can invest myself in the point of view of the character and how their emotions and story.

LT Cannibal 68's description is very similar to what was happening to me, except that the numbness began to eat away at me and became like a black hole. My therapist diagnosed me with dysthymia, a type of depression.

Jan 27, 2011
I haven't been in a SERIOUS depression yet (*crosses fingers this never happens*), but I have had MANY small ones.

I usually deal by binging on video games. Usually speedrunning games. Oftentimes, shadow the hedgehog (combines speedrunning potential with blowing up everything in sight potential). This helps distract me from my miserable thoughts/ extreme blehness. Although sometimes I can't even bring myself to play anything to distract myself.

I've also found that eating instant noodles with chopsticks helps. Not only is it delicious, but life seems so much simpler when you are slurping noodles.

And since I've met my GF, simply talking to her (phone, steam, in person, whatever) helps make me feel much much better.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I sit down and think I'll change something in my life, most the time with music playing. I avoid alcohol and games.

VecTron5

Dec 2, 2011
as stupid as it sounds, playing 'little Nemo, the dream master' on NES always lifts my spirits. as for something not-weird that I do; I eat a chocolate bar and sit someplace quiet.